Thursday, June 04, 2009

Nintendo Wii part 2

I followed the link Iggy posted in the comments section of my Nintendo Wii post and sent the following message to Nintendo:

"I would firstly like to congratulate you on how close you have come to producing a games console that can be used by those with visual impairments. I myself am blind, having lost what sight I previously had due to Congenital Glaucoma, and am missing the game play I used to enjoy before my sight loss.

Due to how close you have come to making a games console that's accessable to people like myself - and due to the fact I've always been a fan of the Nintendo games consoles - I thought I would share with you my idea on the one thing you need to do in order to make the games accessable to those of us with vision problems. Something that, I'm sure, you are more than capable of achieving.

The solution is simple. Using the software that allows certain games to speak text as it appears on the screen, you need to make the menu accessable. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the way a screen reader on a PC works, but it reads out the item on the menu that is currently selected. If you combine this idea with the interaction provided with the Wii, I feel confident that you could - in the not too distant future - produce a games console that people like myself can play."

A day or so later, I got the following reply:

"Hello,

We appreciate hearing about the types of products that you would like to see from us in the future. While there hasn't been an announcement concerning a product like you describe , you never know what the future holds! As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, and because of our history of pushing the limits of gameplay and design, you can always count on Nintendo offering the most imaginative products.

In the meantime, keep checking our website's "What’s New" section (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew) for the latest information and announcements.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc."

Hey, at least they didn't just reject my idea and tell me I'm an idiot. ;)

Tori

10 comments:

jewelzmomof4 said...

They didn't reject your idea and tell you your and idiot because you gave a very good idea to them. The idea you suggested was and is an very cool concept and as you said they have the capabilities to do this. I think you are very smart to have sent them that message because not to many blind people are going to say anything to them. If you know anyone else who is blind I would tell them to go to the same site and send them the same message and make them see that there is a demand for something like that. Good luck. I also wanted to say I had no idea that you were blind so I think it is even more amazing that you did that whole blanket. You truly are an inspiration to me makes me realize that I can do anything just like you. have a wonderful day.

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you received a reply from Nintendo and so quickly. I think one day soon they will come up with the software that's needed to allow you to play the games. Keep checking their "What's New" section. :)

Deanna said...

Your suggestion makes so much sense that there is no way they could reject it. I'll bet it is on someone's project list as we speak.

Congratulations on taking the first step. Maybe follow up in six months and ask the status? It can't hurt...

Tori_z said...

Only other person I know of is my brther, and I gave him the info. Whether or not he contacts them is up to him. Mind you, sighted people could still e-mail and mention that it would be a good idea.

Jewelz:
Thanks. I don't see that I'm an inspiration myself, but thanks anyway.

AK:
Will be doing that, and will let you know if anything shows up to suggest they might have taken my advice.

Deanna:
Maybe, but I expect it will be quite a way down on the list at the moment. Still there's hope that one day they might develop accessable games consoles.

Tori_z said...

*brother

Intense Guy said...

I went to the link and wrote them too! I'll email you what I wrote - and forward any reply. :)

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

That was a very good idea Tori on your part, and lets hope that it isnt to far away before they do make the game that you and others like you can play, :).

Tori_z said...

:)

LadyStyx said...

Isn't it simply wonderful when someone in the corporate offices takes the time to write back. It makes one much more willing to keep using their services/product.

Tori_z said...

I agree, Styxie.