Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Storms, cameras, birds and helicopters



We've had some really weird weather lately. It's been alternating between being beautiful, dry and sunny, and being stormy. Always hot though! I'm not sure exactly how hot, but too hot for me! The weirdest day - weather wise, I mean - this past week was Sunday though. At one point on Sunday it was trying to rain, but it was so hot the rain was evaporating before it even had time to properly settle on anything. It was strange being out in the rain and not actually ending up wet. I could feel the rain drops landing on me, but the spot they landed on was dry before I could even get my hand to it. The photo above was taken just before one of the storms started.



And the photo above this text, which appears to be of a Collared Dove, was one of the first photos taken with my new camera. Actually, all the photos in this post were taken with my new camera. None of the ones in other recent posts were though... They were all from my old camera. My old one still works OK at the moment, but I got a new one last Thursday. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is that my old one is making a weird noise, which we can't even figure out how it's making, and because of that we aren't sure how much longer it will continue to work for (it's already slower than normal to respond when you try and do anything with it). The other is that I wanted a camera that would be easier to carry around with me, and my old one - which was brought for all its functions, and for the fact the screen on it was large and easy to see - is a bit bulky for taking around in your bag with you unless you're definately sure you'll be using it. While I was still able to see the screen I needed the bigger camera, but now that screen size makes no difference anyway - and since my old camera sounds close to giving up the ghost - I wanted one small enough to carry about with me. So, last Thursday - after my hospital appointment - Mam took me to find what I wanted. And I tried it out over the weekend. Oh yeah, for those who are interested, my new camera is a Vivicam 5399.

Anyway...



We think the bird in the above and below photos is a House Sparrow. With the second shot I was actually aiming to get the helicopter as it circled above us... The bird was just a bonus. :)



A close-up of the helicopter...



I did consider trying to use the helicopters to do an interesting post about helicopters. Unfortunately, I know nothing about them (except that they can fly). I've only ever even seen one up close once, and I was only about 10 years old at the time. It was a police helicopter I saw during a class trip to a police station. Anyway, I'm not even sure where to start with looking for helicopter information. Plus, my interest in them only goes as far as, "oh, look! A helicopter!" Meaning that I'm lacking in the enthusiasm required to make someone want to look for information on a given topic. Which basically translates to, "I don't know anything about helicopters, and I really can't be bothered to look anything up." Hope you enjoyed the photos though.

OK, that'll do from me for now... Enjoy whatever's left of your day, and - to those who, for one reason or another, aren't well at the moment - get well soon! *Hugs and healing thoughts* :)

Tori

8 comments:

Deanna said...

I hope you get many years of happiness out of that new camera. The sky behind the helicopter is so clear! Cool shot.

MarmiteToasty said...

LMFAO@ 'except they can fly'

x

AliceKay said...

Good luck with the new camera. It takes pretty good pics...and so do you. :)

Intense Guy said...

That little pink camera takes good pictures in your hands!

I think the helicopter and bird picture is a really cool shot!

Good luck with the camera and good luck keeping cooled off!

Wendyburd1 said...

I love that stormy sky picture it looks so imposing! And yay for new cameras! I love having one in my purse, I take it with me all the time in case something cool pops up!

Tori_z said...

Glad you all liked the photos. :)

LadyStyx said...

That first storm pic is awesome. Looks like some of the weather we'd been having here.

Tori_z said...

Glad you liked it, Styxie. :)