Saturday, March 06, 2010

Angela's Ashes

By Frank McCourt (1930-2009)

"Angela's Ashes is a memoir by Irish-American author Frank McCourt and tells the story of his childhood in Brooklyn and Ireland. It was published in 1996 and won the Pulitzer Prize for Biography or Autobiography."

(Above taken from here).

My Nan had this one given to her, and was listening to it recently. I heard a bit and asked if I could have a listen. It turned out to be a pretty good book. A sort of sad autobiography, but well written, I think.

Tori

5 comments:

AliceKay said...

Sounds a little dark to me, but life was hard back then, and books like this one help us realize the hardships some people had to live thru.

Deanna said...

He also wrote 'Tis and Teacher Man. I have read all of his books and enjoyed them very much. He had a great style of writing.

Intense Guy said...

I read this book and was moved by just how grim life used to be - I was sorry to hear the author had past away recently.

I agree with Punkn, Frank McCourt was a powerful writer - it was a shame he came to write only late in his life.

Celticspirit said...

I'm related to Angela in the book. I never read the book, but did see the movie. When I found my sister Lisa (biological Dad's side)online, she told me how we were related to this woman. Her name was Angela Sheehan and that is my maiden name. I've actually gone back to using that name. The movie was dark though and kinda depressing.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yes, it is a shame.

Barb:
Well, how about that then! Related to someone kinda famous!