Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Land Of Painted Caves

The Land of Painted Caves - Earth's Children Bk. 6
By Jean M. Auel

"THE LAND OF PAINTED CAVES concludes the story of Ayla, her mate Jondalar, and their little daughter, Jonayla, taking readers on a journey of discovery and adventure as Ayla struggles to find a balance between her duties as a new mother and her training to become a Zelandoni - one of the Ninth Cave community's spiritual leaders and healers. Once again, Jean Auel combines her brilliant narrative skills and appealing characters with a remarkable re-creation of the way life was lived thousands of years ago, rendering the terrain, dwelling places, longings, beliefs, creativity and daily lives of Ice Age Europeans as real to the reader as today's news."

(Click here to see the page the above text came from).

This book has received mixed reviews; you can see an example of this on the page linked to above that I got that short synopsis from. But this post is for my opinion, not their opinions, so here's what I thought of the book: I thought it was fantastic; I enjoyed hearing more of Ayla's adventures. It wasn't my favourite from the "Earth's Children" series, but I was as enthusiastic about reading the rest of it - and as eager to learn what happened next in Ayla's life - as I was in the earlier books. Personally, I think the only reason some were disappointed with it is that it was awaited for so long that people had built up expectations that were too high for any book to reach. I started the book with no expectations; the only thing I thought about was that I was going to find out what happened next to Ayla. As a result I was not disappointed, and was able to enjoy a really great book!

8 comments:

Intense Guy said...

It takes an awesome writer to transport a reader "back to the day" this story takes place.

:)

Have you ever read a book titled "She"? It was writen about 1905 by a dude named H. Rider Haggard? Something tells me you might enjoy this series.

Rita said...

I'm glad you liked it a lot and weren't disappointed like others were.

Hope you have a wonderful week! *love and hugs* :) :)

That corgi :) said...

I think you summed it up well, Tori, if people have too high of expectations of course they might be a bit disappointed. I think each book needs to be taken on its own merit and not compared to other ones by the same author or in the same series. I haven't read anything by this author in awhile, but I did enjoy some of her earlier works.

Thanks for the review!

betty

Celticspirit said...

How many books are there in the series? I read some of them when I was younger and I really liked them. I remember reading Clan Of The Cave Bear and a few others that came after that. I did not know there were more.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I haven't read any of the book in the series, but it sounds like I would like to get my hands on them.

resewn sally said...

I love the Earth's Children series!! I only just read Land of the painted caves a wee while ago, but first read Clan of the Cave Bear when I was 13. Amazingly well written books. Beautiful!
Sal. X

Susan said...

Is this the Ayla of the "Clan of the Cave Bears"??
I loved that book! the movie wasn't bad.
Hugs,
Susan

Toriz said...

Iggy:
No, I haven't; will try and arrange to do so. :)

Rita:
Thanks... *Love and hugs back* :)

Betty:
*Nods in agreement* Exactly!

Barb:
There are 6... The Clan Of The Cave Bear, The Valley Of Horses, The Mamoth Hunters, The Plains Of Passage, The Shelters Of Stone, and The Land Of Painted Caves.

Mags:
Yes, I think you would; you should definately grab a copy!

Sal:
Thanks for stopping by!

The Land Of Painted Caves only came out earlier this year; I think it took her almost 20 years to bring it out after doing the other five in the series.

Susan:
The very same! The movie is nowhere near as good as the book; it wasn't bad, but it could have been better.