Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Tea parties, trick-or-treaters, pets and holidays (FD)

While waiting for trick-or-treaters, and after my planned ritual was done, I read the posts for the witchy tea party that Anna was hosting this past weekend. I visited every single blog in the list, and commented where possible. The only ones I didn't comment on were for one of the following reasons:

*They had word verification.
*Blogger wouldn't allow me to comment on them; I keep having that issue with embedded comment forms - it says I don't have permission or throws errors at me - and Jaws wouldn't allow me to navigate the menu well enough to find the option to post as an anonomous person on any that might have allowed it.
*The background music stopped me being able to read the page; couldn't hear Jaws over it.
*I couldn't find the post on the blog.

But, where I was able to I commented, and where I was able to I read the posts. There were some awesome tea party posts! Thank you again Anna for hosting it; hope it's on again for next year? I'd love to do it again! :)

Anyway...

We'd allowed for 20 trick-or-treaters. I didn't expect even half that, but... I had to send Kelly out for more treats because we were running low and there was still 45 minutes before the 8:00pm curfew that everyone seems to agree to - I don't remember it ever being arranged, but it seems to be an unspoken agreement in most areas - and it's lucky I did send him, because we had 23 trick-or-treaters! I'm so happy! It was great to see so many children dressed up. We had 8 witches, 2 vampires (one of which was the Dad of 2 of the witches), a zombie, a skeleton, a grave digger (complete with little plastic shovel), 2 werewolves, a pumpkin, 2 ghouls, a princess, a bug of some sort, and I can't remember what the others were. Also, when Kelly went out to get more sweets he saw a tiger running around. The tiger didn't come to us though (I'm guessing curfew came before she could get to us; Kelly saw her a few streets away on his way home from the shop).

One of the little witches - the younger of the 2 with the vampire Dad - was super cute! She was maybe a little older than Emma-Jane, or maybe even the same age (Emma is a little over 19 months old now). When Kelly handed her the bag of treats she took it and said, "ta," in the cute and timid way that little children have of saying it when they're not really sure who you are or what's going on, but they know they should thank you for giving them something.

Kelly was giving out the bags of treats, but I was listening to the kids - while trying to stop Kero getting worked up about the people at the door - and gave Kelly instructions to, "remember what we get, because I want to know." So each time he was done with the group of kids and had closed the door he would tell me what they were wearing, which is how I was able to tell you.

I don't think Kero was too happy that people were knocking on the door and he wasn't allowed to go and say hello to them. We gave him treats on and off though, so I think that helped him to forget about it most of the time. LOL!

I think this year was just about the best Samhain ever!

I had loads of fun with the things I did - which I did mention on Friday, and I'll post more on later this month; when I have the time - and enjoyed the witchy tea parties. Plus, I had more trick-or-treaters come to the door than I have in the last three years combined! That might not seem like a good thing to some of you, but to someone like me who loves hearing the happy children running about in their costumes it was wonderful! Also, someone was doing a firework display not far from here, so I got to hear fireworks too, YAY! :)

So...

It's a beautiful day here; a perfect day for being out walking. So we went; spent over an hour walking around the park... Kero was delighted. So was I, for that matter. How wonderful it was to walk among the trees and plants on such a lovely day!

Today starts a new month, and - for the witches among us - a new year. It's also only a little over 7 weeks until the holidays arrive; 44 days if you begin your Yule celebrations on the 21st of December as we do, 48 if you want to count to Christmas day. Well, if you count both today and the day in question, otherwise it's less.

So, it's time to start making plans and buying or making presents and cards, if you haven't started already. I have, but only because I needed to start planning since I need to get everything sent off to people and would prefer to have the stuff go at the end of November rather than actually in December. Plus, when you're making things you have to start early. And the one thing I've brought so far was something I saw, knew the person would love it, and wanted to grab while it was definately in stock. It's not much, but I know the person will be delighted to receive it, and isn't that the most important thing when giving someone something? :)

10 comments:

Serena said...

23 Trick-or-Treaters?!! That's great!! We had 11 all up which is pretty good going considering Australians aren't big on the whole Trick-or-Treat thing...they see it as an American tradition.

I love to walk in nature too. The birdsong is music to my ears.

I'm so glad to hear you have really enjoyed Samhain this year!

Have a great week!

Serena

Toriz said...

Serena:
Many areas over here aren't big on it either. That's why I wasn't prepared for 23 kids. Where we were before we considered it a good night if we had any! My Mam, for example, had one child knock on her door! I'm pretty sure that we'd have had more if it wasn't for the fact nobody seems to do it after 8:00pm! I'm also wondering if maybe Kelly's comment about us maybe running out soon was taken literally and they figured we'd be
out of stuff so told their friends not to knock? I'm wondering that because it was just after that the kids stopped knocking. We've agreed that with so many children out this year (and nobody seeming to think that was odd around here) we'll prepare for a lot more next year. If we don't get lots then we'll just have treats to see us through the holidays, LOL!

Yes, the bird song is wonderful to listen to! :)

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful Samhain celebration this year. Sounds like you had quite a few kids knocking on your door, too. Our trick-or-treating is from 6 to 8 PM. It's for the whole township, so that's why we get so many kids here. Parents take them around in cars so it's more than just town kids who show up for a treat.

Sounds like you had a nice day for a walk thru nature. :)

I've bought a few Christmas presents already. Surprised myself. LOL

ChicagoLady said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Samhain and all your different events to celebrate it. I actually heard a Christmas song on the radio this morning as I was driving to work. Ugh! I'm not ready for that until after our Thanksgiving holiday.

That corgi :) said...

Glad you got a lot of trick or treaters! They all sounded cute too with their costumes! We only got two of them, oh well, we'll see about next year! You are right, for those making gifts, they better get going to get everything done; seems like time is going by so fast this year!

betty

Toriz said...

AK:
Well, then we did well since it was only local kids we got (because our trick-or-treating is only on the 31st everyone just goes around near their own homes).

Yes, we did; a very nice day for a walk! :)

Way to go AK for being ahead of the game when it comes to holiday shopping! ;)

Chicago:
I agree; time to start making arrangements and sorting presents, but too early for Christmas music! I don't start listening to holiday music until the tree goes up (on or just after December 1st).

Betty:
*Nods in agreement* Yes, the year is going by very quickly!

Deanna said...

What a wonderful Samhain. We never get any tricksters. It sounds like you had quite an assortment.

Toriz said...

*Nods @ Deanna*

Intense Guy said...

I know what you mean by hearing teh excited little voices.. some shy and some rather bold - some laughing and ... some full of delight.

Smiles. You had a great pumpkin day!

As for Yule... oh goodness no.... no yule songs until after Thanksgiving please...

(bah humbug!)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yes; a great pumpkin day! :)

And, don't worry, apart from any mention of things I'm making and if I do shopping, there wont be things on Yule until after Thanksgiving... As from dDecember 1st I've got a few things I plan on posting, but I don't intend bothering you with them until then! :)