Before we do, I'd like to point out that if there are any authors reading this who want some advice on writing their blind characters, they can feel free to get in touch with me and ask any questions they may have. This statement was prompted by my thoughts while reading the last two books I read in December 2017, where the book was spoiled for me by completely unbelieveable blind characters, where the author alternated between forgetting their limitations and having them do things a blind person couldn't do - especially in an unfamiliar environment - and believing the untrue myths about blind people. Not to mention forgetting that adjusting to changes in sight would take a while, and work both ways. Please, authors, if you're going to write about a character with a certain disability, do your homework, and learn the truth first. If possible, speak to someone with that disability. Your readers will thank you.
Anyway...
As with the previous posts like this one, if you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question.
Don't forget: the format I've reviewed may not be the format I read. Also, please remember that I read across multiple genres and age ranges, so you should always check if a book is suitable for the intended reader, especially when children are involved. Sometimes reading the book's description on its Goodreads page will be enough for this, but other times you may need to check elsewhere to figure out the genre and/or recommended reading level.
OK... On to the reviews!
Wren by Alice LongakerMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
A beautifully written story, with some touching moments, some amusing moments, and a great main character that readers can relate to.
The Murano Glass Slipper: A Cinderella Retelling by Victoria LeybourneMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a well-written book, where the main elements of the story of Cinderella are woven in to a unique and beautiful tale.
Dead Beat by Jim ButcherMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
An action-packed, and often entertaining, addition to this series, which I found to be an extremely enjoyable read.
Sam, A Shaggy Dog Story by Sally CroninMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a beautifully written story, about a dog who is clearly very sweet and special, not to mention really smart and funny. I can see why the author would want to immortalize Sam by writing a book about his life, and am glad she did.
*NOTE: I was given a free copy of this book by the author. This has in no way influenced my opinion of the book, nor the contents of my review.
Dylan and the Lights of Ulva by Jemima PettMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
An exciting and entertaining story, which is a great addition to the series, and a wonderful tale in its own right.
Make a Wish by Gita V. ReddyMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a wonderful story. It's sweet and touching, and the main character is believable and likable.
Shashank the Fledgling by Barbara G. TarnMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
It was interesting to get to read the events from Shashank's point of view, and have him fill in some gaps for us. It was also fascinating reading the parts of history he observed as time passed. George's journal entries were a nice addition to the book too.
Ghostly Writes Anthology 2017 by Claire PlaistedMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Some of the stories in this collection were enjoyable, others weren't entirely to my taste. Some left me feeling I'd read a whole story, others felt like they should have been the start of something longer. But this was a great collection of stories and poems overall.
The Snow Spider by Jenny NimmoMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
I remember watching this when I was a child, and loving it. The book is even better!
Emlyn's Moon by Jenny NimmoMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was a beautifully written and magical story, which I considered to be an enjoyable read.
The Chestnut Soldier by Jenny NimmoMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is a wonderful addition to the series, as well as being a beautiful and magical tale in its own right.
Chase Tinker and the House of Magic (Chase Tinker, #1)' by Malia Ann HabermanMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is a fun and action-packed read, which is well-written and very imaginative.
House of Secrets by Malia Ann HabermanMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is an excellent read. It's a wonderful continuation of the series, filled with magic and mystery.
Chase Tinker and the House of Destiny by Malia Ann HabermanMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Having read the first two books in the series, I have to admit to going in to this one with high expectations. I'm pleased to say I was not disappointed! This was another excellent read.
House of Mist by Malia Ann HabermanMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
The whole series up until now has been an action-packed magical adventure, filled with excitement and mystery, as well as an excellent cast of believable characters. I'm pleased to be able to say that this book was no exception, and was an excellent ending to the series.
The Christmasaurus by Tom FletcherMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was a creative and entertaining read, which would make a fun holiday read for anyone, especially dinosaur lovers.
Doctor Who: Twelve Doctors of Christmas by Jacqueline RaynerMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Doctor Who Christmas stories... What's not to love? That is all I have to say.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I don't know what to say about this book. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either; some parts were enjoyable to read, other parts were disturbing.
A Swamp of Bones: Book 1 by Abigail FeroMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
The story was interesting and mostly enjoyable, but I struggled to accept some of the characters as believable. I don't want to post any spoilers, so I'll just say that it might have been an idea for this author to have a discussion with a blind person before writing about one. Still, the book was a pretty good read, and I am eager to read more.
A Swamp of Souls: Book 2 by Abigail FeroMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Like with the first book in this series, this was a really good read, which would have been better were it not for the issues I have with the blind characters in the story. I mean, I'm glad the author is showing that blind people can do more than many people think, but there are limits.
3 comments:
I really liked Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but I had to get through the first 50=100 pages. I'm glad I stuck with it, but it was a tough go at first.
I'm sure that would be frustrating for you when an author doesn't do their homework and writes being blind all wrong. I know it irritates me when an author clearly not from the south decides to write a southern character and relies on a lot of stereotypes. It's nice that you've made yourself available if an author wants to talk with you.
I liked The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Like you said, parts of it were definitely disturbing, but I still enjoyed the book.
Jeanie:
Yeah, it was a tough one to get in to.
Danielle:
I always finish a book, even if I don't enjoy it. Yes, I imagine that stereotyping thing would be as annoying for you as the blind stereotyping is for me. Like I said, I'm happy to help if authors need it, both to educate people as to how things really are, and to improve the reading experience for any other potentially blind readers.
Post a Comment