"Puppy Poems And Rodent Rhymes" is now available in paperback... Just in case you didn't see last week's post. If you'd like to buy a paperback copy of this pet themed poetry collection, take a look at the post I just mentioned, because there are links in it.
***~~~***
People argue about how many original plot ideas actually exist, though the commonly accepted number is most often around seven. As an example of one of those basic plot ideas, here's a post that examines the rebirth story. As a warning though, the post I just linked to contains Harry Potter spoilers. If you're one of the few people in the world who hasn't read those books yet, but you plan to, you may want to avoid reading the examples given in the plot breakdown.
Regardless of the plot of your story, if you're creating a fantasy world, or your characters will be exploring an alien planet, make sure you consider how realistic the fauna and flora in the world you create is, because readers will notice if the plants and animals shouldn't be able to exist in the environment you place them in. Yes, you can have some reason why an animal or plant that wouldn't normally exist in a certain climate does, but you need to think up that excuse in the first place, and then make sure it's clear in your story that the excuse exists, as well as what it is.
No matter what you're writing though, or whether it takes place in the real world or one you made up entirely, here's a post on how to defeat your writers' block when you're facing a minor writing block. On the other hand, if you've been struggling to achieve your writing goals lately for some other reason, and need to get your writing time back, this post contains some advice from one writer who found a way to take back control of her writing time. No matter what though, always remember that you're better at writing than you think you are.
Did you know: Smashwords has entered the audio book market. I can't say I'm all that surprised. I can see at once that there are benifits to using their service instead of something like ACX. However, I can also see a disadvantage: the Findaway Voices platform only offers the option to pay your narrator up front, with no royalty share option. Many wouldn't consider that a disadvantage, but it is if you're an author on a budget with several titles you want to produce in audio. It might be worth considering if you have the funds to pay your narrators up front though.
Regardless of the formats you publish your books in, or how you choose to publish the various formats of your books, if you're a self-published author, here's a post for you on making time and everything else your friend, and another on how changing up your writing routine could solve your biggest creative problem.
Next, here's some advice for when it comes to promoting yourself.
Finally, here are 12 things to tell yourself when you start to believe you can't actually do this.
2 comments:
I especially liked the link about promoting yourself. It's not my strongest suit -- I'm much better at promoting others. This is useful.
Jeanie:
I'm the same. Though I post about my books on my blog, it takes me longer than it should to approach others for promotion on theirs, and I don't regularly post about my books on Twitter (unless making sure my latest book themed blog post got tweeted counts). More of my social media posts are from the blogs of others than anything else.
Post a Comment