Wednesday, January 23, 2019

#WriterWednesday - January 23rd 2019

There are dark (and not so dark) parts of writing no one ever sees. We writers don't talk much about them for whatever reason. But they exist. So, maybe we should talk about them more? What do you think?

Anyway, if you can't write consistently, here's how to fix that. Reward systems aren't just for kids, you know. *wink*

Remember: the only one holding you back is you.

Do you write for children? Are you looking for story ideas? How about tapping in to your childhood... With a twist, does that inspire you enough? I'll be very surprised if it doesn't.

Whatever age you write for, if you're a writer who writes in the fantasy genre, you may like to take a look at this list of fantasy sub-genres, to help you get your book listed right when you're publishing it.

Regardless of what kinds of stories you write, do your characters speak with different accents? Then take a look at this post on how to convey accents in fiction writing.

Next, here are some tips on ways to build suspense in your novel.

So, here's why you'll never write everything you want to write, and why that's OK.

But, what do you do when a story is tough to tell? You find a way to tell it anyhow, because that's the thing with stories: they need to be told, so they can be shared, maybe touch a few hearts, and make the world a better place.

With that in mind, it's only natural that now you've written your book, you want people to read it. Some people price their books... Or some of their books... Free to encourage this. But, the big question is: should you really offer your book for free? That's totally up to you. Personally, I do have one book that's permafree, which - if you don't know, but are interested - is "Frank The Friendly Ogre" (available from Smashwords, Amazon, iBooks, and some other eBook retailers).

No matter how much you price your books for on most retailers, if you're looking for another platform to potentially get a few extra sales, you might consider publishing book bundles with Bundle Rabbit. I don't use it myself, but I've heard good things about it, and it's an option, if you're interested.

So... What is your dream, and how will you make it come true?

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

At the moment, the only thing holding me back from a good proofing job (I can't do it on the screen very well) is needing a new black cartridge for my printer! I printed out the next ten pages of my book and walked away. Now I have a whole bunch of white paper with the occasional very light or black mark! Maybe I can get one today.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I hope you can. Also, at least... Since it's just so you can do editing anyhow... You can just use the other side of the paper, so you don't waste it.