Friday, July 16, 2021

An #EBook #Sale Reminder, #Audiobook Production, And #Crafting Related Updates

Don't forget: the 13th annual Smashwords Summer/Winter Sale is still on, and four of my titles are available for just $0.99 through July 31st.

 

Those titles are:

 

Pawfect Pet Poems

Snowlilie's Brother

Where's Noodles?

Puppy Poems And Rodent Rhymes

 

Head over to my Smashwords author page to find and grab your copies.

 

*~*~*

 

I have chosen narrators for both my recently released poetry books.


The narrator for "Born From Stardust And Other Poems" is Giselle M Chatelain.


And the narrator for "Pawfect Pet Poems" is Liza Marie Johnston.

 

Clicking on their names should take you to their ACX narrator profiles.

 

I'll let you know when either or both of them have completed the projects, and the audio versions of those two titles are available.  Depending on whether they stick with the schedule or get it done sooner, it will be some time in either August or September.  September if they make use of all the production time I've given them.  At least, that's when it will be assuming there are no production issues.


*~*~*


My Grandma's friend, Ann, loved the knitted dog I made her.  In fact, she loved it so much she sent me a thank you card in appreciation.  Here's the card:




*~*~*


I finished making the little crochet scarf that was my first ever attempt at doing crochet.  The tension is all over the place, but I don't think I did too badly.  Anyway, I asked Kelly to take a photo, and then was so busy doing whatever I was doing on the computer that I didn't notice until after he'd done it that he'd folded the scarf and draped it on my shoulder to take the photo.  He offered to do another one or crop me out if I wanted, but I went ahead and put it up in my craft album on Facebook anyhow, and will also post it here.  So, here it is:




*~*~*


If you're interested: I ended up making 15 squares for the charity thing I was doing with the group I do the Zoom crafternoons with, which I've now sent to the person in charge of organizing it, who will be passing them - along with the squares made by herself and other members of the group - on to the charity that will be turning them in to much-needed blankets for the homeless.  I'd kind of hoped to make a few more than that (my plan was to make 24) but needed to get them sent off to her, and ran out of time.  Every square helps though, right?


*~*~*


This is only loosely craft related, since it's baking., and some people might not count it as a craft.  But...


I had a go at making vegan marshmallows entirely from scratch.

 

I love marshmallows, vegan marshmallows are quite expensive, I always think homemade is best where possible for anything, and I had everything I needed to try, so I decided I'd do just that.


It sort of worked.  I mean, they tasted like marshmallows.  Even Kelly agreed they did.. He's not a big fan of marshmalows, but agreed to taste a little anyhow.  But I didn't add enough thickener.  I was using arrowroot as a substitute (since it's an option, though not the one the recipe recommended) and it didn't set properly.  Which means eitherI didn't add enough, or arrowroot isn't the right choice.  I'm going to try again using more arrowroot, since it's my prefered thickener for things that will be chilled, and if that doesn't work I'll try it with cornflour instead, which is what I use when arrowroot isn't an option.  In the meantime, I made a poppyseed cake and used the marshmalow fluff as icing, which was super tasty.


I forgot to get a photo of the cake, but here's one I got of the marshmallow fluff after we put it in the pan to try and get it to set.  The plan had been to follow this photo with one of it cut in to squares, but it wouldn't set enough for that.  Like I said though, I made good use of it anyhow... It made a great icing.  Anyhow, here's the photo:



*~*~*


Lastly, this has nothing to do with the post title, but we took this photo of Artemis back on July 1st, just because she was looking so content, so I'm going to finish this post by sharing it.  Here you go:



6 comments:

Rita said...

So sneaky of Kelly to take that pic of you and the scarf--lol!
Any food experiment that ends up edible is a win in my book. ;)
Artemis must really love his new bigger home! :)
Have a great weekend, Tori.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes, he was really sneaky. LOL!

I agree regarding food experiments. It ended up edible in some shape or form, so it went well, especially for a first attempt.

Artemis loves the bigger setup, and we've made it even more fun since. But there's a post about that going up next Friday, so you can find out about that then.

You have a great weekend too. :)

Jeanie said...

I call baking an art. And well done with the marshmallows -- something new! And bravo, taking up a new craft with the crochet. You'll figure out the tension - just finishing is good!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm inclined to agree. I know some wouldn't consider baking something that belongs in an arts and crafts update post, but it's a creative art, so it fits, right? And thanks about the marshmallows. I'm hoping next time they'll be firmer, but it's incredibly hot here, so I'm going to wait until it cools down a bit before I have another attempt.

Also, thanks about the crochet. I'm not too concerned about the tension at this stage. I mean, I'd like to have it at least even. But right now the main thing is I figure out how to do it and completed something, like you said.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I think your scarf looks good. And good for you for finishing something! I seem to struggle with that. My tension is all over the place too. I'm told that gets better with practice, and hoping that's true. I'm a little out of the blogging loop, so I need to read some of your older posts, but the blanket squares thing sounds like a neat idea.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Thanks about the scarf. Glad it's not just me with the tension thing. I know you get better at it with practice with knitting, so I'm hoping that holds true for crochet too. LOL!

No worries about being out of the loop. Catch up on what you can when you can. :)

I thought you'd like the sound of the squares thing. It sounds like the kind of project you'd enjoy doing. Maybe there's a charity over there that does something similar so you can make them squares too? Or you could just make your own blanket to donate... It doesn't have to be knitting. We got to choose between knitting and crochet. But I went with knitting because I've been doing it longer, do a better job with it, and can do it faster, so I had a better chance at doing a decent batch of squares in the time I had.