Friday, June 23, 2023

June 23rd 2023 Random Ramblings

The landlords' repair guy I mentioned last week came near the start of the time slot he gave us, and he wasn’t here long, so he had been and gone by the time last week’s post actually went live, but not with enough time for me to come in and edit the post.

 

It turned out one of the issues we could have dealt with if we’d known what to look for: we thought the heater in my craft room/office wasn’t working.  But it turned out it was only turned off (though why it was turned off we have no idea).  But, hey, the person doing the inspection on behalf of the landlord didn't figure it out either, so at least it wasn't just us.

 

We hadn’t noticed that it wasn't working before this past Winter, because it was more a storage space than a functioning room for most of the first two years we were here, but I definitely noticed this past Winter when I was in there regularly.  All Winter I’d been making do without it, making use of blankets whenever it got cold enough in there that I needed to do something to keep warm while working in my room, and learning it was for nothing was both funny and frustrating – especially frustrating.

 

I’d checked, and thought I’d found and tried all the knobs that controlled whether it’s on and how high.  Apparently I’d missed one I didn’t know to look for, because it was on the opposite side to the rest, and not so easily spotted.  Now that one is turned to the “on” position, my heater works.  Not that I need it right now, since it’s been pretty hot most days (though thankfully cooled down a bit after we had some rainstorms at the start of the week).  But at least I’ll be able to make use of it when the cold weather comes this Winter.

 

*~*

 

My Mam came out of hospital Friday evening.

 

They had things to the point where there wasn’t really anything they could do at the hospital that couldn’t be done either at home or via outpatient appointments, so didn’t see the point in keeping her in the hospital any longer.  I’m sure I don’t need to tell you how happy she was to get to go home, even if she does need people coming in every day to help her do things she can no longer manage for herself, which I know she finds frustrating.

 

Hopefully she won’t end up back in hospital again any time soon.

 

~

 

Because of my Mam's health, and what an energetic pup he is, it was decided that Cai should be re homed.  So, the woman who had been taking care of him while Mam was in hospital this second time has him.  She's a friend of a friend.  The woman was given the option of keeping Cai, or us re homing him elsewhere, and she decided to keep him.  I hope he gives her many happy years of companionship.

 

Izabel went back to my Mam though, since Izi is more manageable.  She was picked up on Saturday, shortly before lunch time, by one of the people currently helping my Mam.  Izi was very happy to see her Mami again.

 

I think Lilie kind of misses Izi, since the two of them were becoming great friends.  But Logan is definitely glad Izi has gone home.  I'm sure he's glad not to have her joining forces with Lilie to gang up on him.  Plus, he shares my feelings about keeping socializing to smaller groups as much as possible.  He did a sort of doggy happy dance when she left, and then stretched out on the bed for a long nap.  LOL!

 

*~*

 

Lilie and Logan have a vet appointment on Monday (June 26th) at 3:45pm and 4:00pm respectively.  Don’t worry.  It should just be a smooth routine visit; it’s time for their annual shots and health checks, that’s all.

 

Normally we’d get a ride from one of my parents, or pay for a taxi, but with neither of them driving right now for various reasons, we’re trying a new transport scheme for disabled and low income people that’s recently started up around here, which will be a lot cheaper than the taxi would have been (which is one of the main points of having the scheme, the other being help with transport for disabled and elderly people).

 

I like the fact it's an option for more than just those of us with disabilities, since most places with schemes like this will only take people who don't come under the disabled or elderly labels if they happen to be traveling with someone who does.

 

It sounds like a great scheme, so I hope it’s as good as it sounds, since it will come in handy for us a lot if it is.

 

It should be fine though, since it was recommended by my Aunt Bev (who mans their phones sometimes, was the person who gave my Dad the number to give to us, and also happened to be the person who answered the phone to me when I called to learn more about it) as well as a family friend named Laura who I’ve known since childhood (who is related to the guy who runs it).  Ah, the joys of living in a relatively rural village where it seems like everyone either knows or is related somehow to everyone else.  LOL!

 

*~*

 

My spoon reserves are still pretty low from the events of the past couple of months, but I did manage to get some rest time in during the past couple of days, which helped a little.  Just as well really, since I’m one of the people who have been chosen to host for the virtual parts of the ACB’s 2023 convention, starting with the virtual only portion that’s currently going on, and continuing throughout the first week of July with the hybrid convention.

 

So, if I’m slow replying to comments, visiting blogs, etc, it’s because I’ll be resting when I can between hosting assignments, since I’m pretty sure I’ll need to if I’m going to  make sure I have the energy to do them well.

6 comments:

Rita said...

So very glad you will have heat in that room this winter...and that it was a simple solution, albeit a frustrating one.

Also glad your mom is home again, for however long, with Izabel and that Cai got a new home. Sounds like Logan is really glad for life to get back to normal, too--lol!

I hope the new transportation system works really well and the vet visits go smoothly.

Yes, rest up! I know what it is like to have no spoons and you will need them to be hosting. Should be fun for you, too. A good thing to save spoons for.

Have a good weekend, my friend. :) :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes, I'm glad it was a simple solution, even if it was a frustrating one.

Oh, yes, Logan is definitely glad for things to be back to normal. LOL!

And, yes, the hosting is generally pretty fun. There are times when I find it more draining than rewarding, but mostly I enjoy doing it. It's definitely something I like to try and save spoons for.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad your mom is out of the hospital and the dog situation is resolved. AND that you have what sounds like a promising transport method that is less expensive. All that and a short repair visit -- sounds good!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Jeanie!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I hope all goes well at the vet.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Danielle.