Saturday, February 07, 2009

Snowy Saturday

Yes, that's right, we got some more snow today! Only an inch or so. But it was enough for Fay and her cousins to have a snowball fight though. A few hit our window and I'd heard them mention aiming for something, so I went to make sure they weren't actually aiming for the window. They weren't. So I said, "OK," and left them to it. I don't mind accidental snowballs hitting our window, I just didn't want them intensionally aiming for it. They were aiming for the wall and each other. And I know they were, because the snowball fight carried on while I was talking to Faye, and during that time no snowballs hit our window. The odd one hit our window afterwards, but not many. And I didn't go out to them again. They're only kids after all, and it's good to know kids still know how to have fun without computer games and TV shows.

Anyway...

I made a start on my knitting. I did decide on a blanket. I've done a couple of rows, but not much yet. I'd have probably done more rows, but with it being a blanket each row has lots of stitches on it. I could have done squares and sewn them together, but I didn't want to do it that way. Although, I may do a blanket like that at a later date.

Anyway, so far so good. I haven't dropped any stitches yet, so that's a good start. LOL!

Oh, and I already have an order for a couple of blankets. When I told Carl I was knitting stuff and starting with blankets, he mentioned how they're place gets quite cold and they could do with as many blankets as possible. So I suggested I made them a couple. Carl said that was a good idea, and told me to keep them aside for Christmas for them. That way it gives me time to take my time making them, and gives them a nice, home made pressie for Christmas. Plus, it will give them a new blanket each just as we're hitting the part of Winter where the temperature is most likely to drop below freezing. I'm thinking of doing a solid one - like the one I'm doing now - and one made up of squares for them. That way they're both different to Carl as well as to Rachel.

OK, well, I don't have anything else to say today. So... Enjoy whatever's left of your day! :)

Tori

7 comments:

The Wife O Riley said...

Oooohhh...I'm so jealous that you're knitting. I really want to learn.

ChicagoLady said...

Good luck with the knitting. It sounds like you've made a good start of it.

A lot of our snow has melted. It was so warm today I opened the windows and the door to my balcony for a few hours. I even went shopping without a coat! Spring can't be that far away, can it?

MarmiteToasty said...

:( we only had the snow here on mon and tues, its been bitter cold since with sleet, but today was bright and sunny but oh so cold..... I havent been outside the house all day today LOL..... Im all warm and toasty in the house and refuse to go out today.... but will need to get out tomorrow for my sanity lol

The knitting sounds great, Im halfway through knitting a aubiguene colour pure cotton blanket for a child..... even though its all one colour the pattern changes so it looks like its knitted in squares, but there are hundreds of stitches to each row and getting the pattern correct is doing me head in lol.... but I know when it is evenutally finished it will be wonderful......

Try on ebay for some amazing yarn deals from shops...... I only like to knit in either 100% or pure 100% wool.... so it makes everything bloody expensive.....

The blanket crimbo pressie sounds wonderful....... slog on and they will make super pressies......

wish I lived nearer so I could sit with ya and knit and chat LOL

x

Kaylee said...

im jhealous email sent again :)

Tori_z said...

Wifey:
It's easy to learn... You can easily get a book that'll teach you. My Nan taught me though. She taught me when I was about 9. I haven't done much in years though. I knitted a couple of little blankets when I first got married... My M-I-L wanted to knit them, but could only knit for a while, so we worked on them together. I still have them. I haven't knitted since though - until now, of course - and that was almost six years ago. And before that I hadn't knitted since I left guides, which was about three or four years before.

Chicago:
Don't worry, Spring is on its way. :)

Toasty:
So you were a proper marmite toasty then? LOL!

You'll have to come for a visit and then we can do that. :)

Will bear tha in mind (about looking for the wool on ebay). I did wonder if maybe I could get some on there. Thanks! :)

AliceKay said...

When I was younger, my grandmother and mother used to knit and crochet. I tried my hand at it for awhile, but lost interest in it. (i kept dropping stitches)

I hope you have Kelly take a pic of the finished project for us.

Tori_z said...

AK:
Yeah, I've had that problem a lot in the past. :(

Yeah, I'll get Kelly to take a photo when it's done. :)