Monday, March 09, 2009

Bird egg and feeders

When my Mam and Dad arrived last Wednesday (March 4th) they found this bird egg on my path. They picked it up to show me.

We think another bird might have swiped it from a nearby nest then dropped it. Either that or it fell out of the nest some birds have up near the roof. I know there are birds nesting up there.

Either way it was found in the middle of our path.

I wonder if it broke when it fell or got stepped on and broke that way.

Anyway, Dad asked if I was going to keep it and start a nature collection, since there's no way it will hatch now. I told him no, but before Mam could throw it away I asked if someone would take a photo of it for me to post on my blog.

No particular reason, I just wanted to be able to show photos when I mentioned the egg.

Mam took the photos for me Wednesday afternoon, and Kelly got them on the PC and labeled for me on Friday, but I decided to leave posting them until today. I figured I'd leave it for a day when I don't have a blog theme planned. Especially since a lot of people have a lot going on at the moment and don't have time to read even one post a day sometimes, let alone two.

While Mam had the camera out to take the photos of the egg I asked her to take a photo of the little house shaped bird feeder I got a couple of weeks ago. So, she waited for a gap in the rain, sleet and snow, then she went out and took the photo for me.

And here it is.

It's been put up on the side of our sheds. Well, technically on the side of Kelly's shed, because mine is quite close to the back door and I thought the birds might prefer it a bit further away from the back door really.

Mam also took a photo of the new seed dispenser type of feeder I got. I brought this one on Wednesday, so it had only just been put up when these photos were taken.

OK, well that's all I wanted to post about today.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day! :)

Tori

11 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Hi Tori - looks like maybe a Bluebird egg to me. I just saw some Bluebirds fly into our area just this weekend. So we've had American Robins and Bluebirds... and the daffidils are about 4 inches high and a long way yet from blooming.

I like your feeders. I'm sure the birds say "chirpa-cheeerrrrrp!" (birdese for "thank you Tori") after they eat.

whimsical brainpan said...

That is an interesting looking egg. I've never seen one like it.

Nice feeders! I'm sure the birds appreciate them.

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

well tori i wonder if " mummy bird " panicked when she found she was an "egg less" and we cant blame the " cuckoo " as they are not here yet.

and i like your little bird house feeder and the new feeder, and with this rotton weather we are having they need the little extra we can give them.

AliceKay said...

Nice feeders, Tori. I'm sure your bird friends thank you for putting them out for them.

No robins seen in my area yet, but we saw several flocks of Canada geese flying north today. We still have frost in the ground here so no daffodils have popped out of the ground just yet. Crocuses pop up before the daffodils do and no signs of them yet, either.

Celticspirit said...

I'm sure your birdie friends appreciate those bird feeders. Very nice. I enjoyed looking at your pictures.

LadyStyx said...

The birds were out and singing here yesterday morning as I was headed to bed. Not sure what all we have around here yet... except geese. Those buggers seem to stay in my area year round.

Tori_z said...

Glad you all enjoyed the pics.

Not sure what kind of bird the egg is from. It's probably from either one of the black birds (blackbird, crow, etc), blue tit, chaffinch or Robin though, because those are the ones around most.

Punkn said...

Hey Tori, I like your feeders. I'll bet the birds do too! Not too sure about that egg...
We have birds everywhere! Lots of sparrows now, and wood peckers, and cardinals. I'm lovin' it.

Tori_z said...

Thanks Punkn.

ChicagoLady said...

Great pictures of the egg. Poor mama bird! She probably had other eggs to worry about though. Good thing most birds lay several eggs.

I'm sure the birds really appreciate the seed you put out for them.

Tori_z said...

Chicago:
I'm sure they do.

And, yes, it is a good thing they lay several eggs.