Sunday, March 01, 2009

St David and other stuff

OK, first of all, Whim asked who St David is, and since I'm sure there will be others not sure either I decided the easiest way to answer the question would be to find the post I did two years ago and link to it. Most of you weren't reading my blog then so wouldn't have seen it. Anyway the post can be found here, so go take a look if you are curious.

***~***

It was my nephew, Devin's birthday on Wednesday, but I never got around to posting a "happy birthday" for him. I doubt he reads the blog, but I feel better for doing it, so... Belated happy birthday wishes to Devin! :)

***~***

I'm about a quarter of the way through the blanket I'm knitting. I'm actually really enjoying knitting it!

And the knitting patterns I ordered off the RNIB's book site arrived the other day. They seem pretty easy to follow, so that's a good start. :)

I'm grabbing wool any time I'm able to. I don't really need it all right now, but I want to grab a load while I know I can easily get my hands on plenty. After all, you never know what will happen in the future, do you? At least - if nothing else - I'll be able to knit some clothes and blankets. I'm also getting more fabric soon. Again, not that I need it right now, but I will at some point.

I'm planning on making a start on making myself a t-shirt today. Mam gave me the fabric last weekend, and she brought the pins with her yesterday. I already had everything else (including tactile tape measures... One in cms, one in inches). I was going to start with something smaller, but I changed my mind. I've done a few simple things like sewing up seams on items we already had and darning socks. Now I want to try and actually make something for myself. And a t-shirt isn't all that difficult. Besides, I've gotta start somewhere, and I could do with a couple of new t-shirts.

***~***

I'm still undecided on a theme day for my blog. I have a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure which to go for. So, I've decided I'm going to give you guys a say. What would you like to see regularly on my blog?

If you have a suggestion, post it in the comments section of this post.

***~***

OK, that'll do for today...

Enjoy the rest of your day, and get well wishes, healing thoughts, etc, to anyone in need of them! *Hugs* :)

Tori

11 comments:

Jane said...

Nice blog!

Jane

MarmiteToasty said...

Wow, your actually gonna make a T-shirt.... ok, you do it first and then teach me :)

I just found this funny blind joke on Wolfies blob.... it made me smile so on St Davids day I send it to you...

Blind Man and Dog...

A blind man is waiting to cross the street when his guide dog suddenly pisses on his foot.


He reaches into his pocket, and takes out a biscuit for the dog.

A pastor, who saw everything, remarks, "That's very tolerant of you, after what he just did."

"Not really," comes the reply from the blind man.


"I'm just finding out where his mouth is... so I can kick him in the nuts!"


Good job on the wool hording LOL I do that, I have a welsh dresser full of the stuff :).... just in case, you know, for emergencies LOL

Glad the blanket is coming along...

x

Celticspirit said...

Are you making the t-shirt by hand? I've never made a t-shirt but I've made lots of things for my girls such as dresses and Halloween costumes when they were little. And I've made lots of curtains. I also made my middle daughter a wedding dress for her Halloween wedding about 6 years ago. That was a little beyond my capabilities but I did manage to pull it off. Way to go Tori on already being a quarter way finished with your blanket. I'm eager to see a picture of it when you finish. I've been doing pretty good on my blanket lately and I'll need to pick up some more yarn soon.
As for your theme day, I think that's a good idea. How about a day when you talk about craft stuff you've been doing? I don't know about everyone else but I like reading about that stuff. :) Ok that's just a thought. Have a good day.

The Wife O Riley said...

Happy Birthday Devin!

I say grab what you can now. There have been many times I've seen things in the store and not grabbed it only to go back and they don't have it anymore.

Kati said...

Happy belated Birthday to your nephew!!!! Hope he had a fantastic one!

YEAH for the crafting!!!! I'm glad to hear you're being able to pick up on knitting with relative ease, and I hope the sewing goes well also! I hope you'll get some pictures of your completed projects when you're done with them. What color/s is/are the blanket you're making? Is it a full-size afghan, a throw, a baby blanket???

Oh, and as for the sewing. Careful with those fingers of yours. I ran one of my fingers under the sewing-machine needle one time and hit hurt like hell for days!!! *wry smile* (And I didn't even get into my nail, just the front tip of my index finger. Still hurt like hell!)

Hope the rest of your weekend went beautifully, Tori!

AliceKay said...

Hope your weekend was a good one. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

Laffs at Toasty's joke...

Perhaps a Welsh Word theme day?

Or a t-shirt slogan theme? you know the type... a cute one liner thing...

Good luck with the sewing - I can't wait to see the blanket!

LadyStyx said...

I'm the same way with embroidery floss, I always pick some up when there's a sale...always enough for the next project I wanna do. That way it's on hand when Im ready.

Tori_z said...

Jane:
Thanks... And thanks for visiting. :)

Toasty:
LOL... Good joke!

OK, you teach me how to do more complicated stitches with knitting and I'll teach you to make clothes... Deal?

Barb:
Yes, I'm making it by hand. I've never used a sewing machine successfully before. I did try once, but I found it easier sewing by hand.

A craft update day would be good. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Wifey:
Yeah, I've had that happen loads of times. That's part of the reason for me grabbing wool and fabric whenever I can.

Kati:
Thanks... And, yes, I'll get photos of what I make as I complete it.

The blanket is what I think you would call a full afghan. It's mostly baby blue with some lemon, purple and baby pink in it.

Don't worry, I'm sewing by hand so my fingers will be safe... Er, well... mostly safe. ;)

AK:
It was... Thanks! *hugs*

Iggy:
Thanks for the suggestions... Will bear them in mind.

Styxie:
Very useful thing to do I've found.

Celticspirit said...

Well Tori, you have more patience than I do if you're making it by hand. Before I had a sewing machine here I bought a pattern and fabric to make an apron by hand. I need an apron because I'm a slob when it comes to cooking and ruin my clothes. So anyhow I didn't do much before I quit. Now I don't have any excuse and need to get working on that apron. :)

Tori_z said...

Barb:
Well, I learned to sew in Girl Guides, and we had to do everything by hand there, so when I tried a machine it seemed complicated to me. I guess I got so used to sewing by hand that it seemed more natural to continue doing so (I mean, I was in Girl Guides for about six years).