Thursday, March 12, 2009

Weekly craft update: first t-shirt & gift of wool

I haven't done much of my knitting this past week, because I was concentrating on finishing the t-shirt I was making myself.

I finished it Tuesday evening, so yesterday (Wednesday) Mam took this photo for me.



It's nice to have an item of clothing that's a bit big on me instead of clothes that hardly fit. :)

I could have made it a bit smaller though... I allowed more than I needed to for room to move in the shirt even if it were to shrink in the wash (as clothes often do). But I'll know for next time.

***~***

I wont need to get more wool for quite some time. Eleri gave me a couple of bags full of wool this past week. It was among stuff of her Mam's that she's clearing out, and when she found out I was knitting she asked if I wanted it. I said I would appreciate it, so she brought it down here for me. There's LOADS of it... Black wool, white wool, lemon wool, blue wool, pink wool, multi coloured wool... It's all there! And some of it is proper expensive stuff too! I actually ran out of labeling tape labeling the balls of wool. I've had to order more before I can carry on, and I haven't even labeled half of what she gave me. My wool collection has at least tripled with all this wool, and at least half of it is brand new balls that were still in sealed packages.

I asked Eleri if she wanted any money for it - after all, there's a lot of it, and it must have cost her Mam a lot of money - but she wouldn't accept anything for it, so I brought her a present to say, "thank you," (as I mentioned in yesterday's post). I didn't want to just take all that wool without at least some sign of appreciation.

OK, that's it for this week's craft update.

Tori

14 comments:

Intense Guy said...

That fabric has such a bold and colorful design that you will never get lost in a crowd.

I'm impressed - I know I couldn't do this, I can't even sew a button (and I've tried).

How is Eleri? It was really nice of her to think of you and give you all that wool.

Punkn said...

That t-shirt looks very comfy. You are very talented. Don't ya just love it when people think of you and do something nice? I'm sure it made Eleri feel good to give you the wool. It was very sweet of you to get her a gift of appreciation.

MarmiteToasty said...

Great material....... you clever old sod you..... Im thinking of investing in the sewing machine Ive always wanted this weekend, and sod lay-offs and the recession lol.... dont think I will be making T-shirts though, I aint that clever....

x

Celticspirit said...

I love the teddy bears on the fabric! I had to look at the picture close up to see what the pattern was. I'm very proud of you for making that shirt by hand. Before you know it, you'll be a pro and making everything.....clothes, curtains, aprons, underwear....ok so maybe not underwear! Good job!

Intense Guy said...

P.s., your new eye looks good. Is it comfortable yet?

Celticspirit said...

I can't even tell from the picture that your eyes are not real. They look great and very pretty.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
I wasn't sure I could do it, but I figured I'd try and see how it went. I think part of the reason I managed it was determination to prove those people who doubted my abilities wrong. And there were a lot of those people. Most of them didn't say as much, but you can tell by the way people respond to comments about your plans what they think of them.

Eleri is doing OK.

I haven't had my new eye made yet (should get an appointment through very soon). But, yes, I've gotten used to it now. I hardly notice it most of the time. Plus, it's stopped being so gunky, so it seems like my body has accepted its presence.

Punkn:
No, I'm not talented. Thanks for saying so, but I'm not.

Eleri said she was glad to have someone to give the wool to, since she's trying to clean out her parents house in preporation for it being sold, and she didn't know anyone who'd want the wool. My knitting was only mentioned in passing when she asked what I'd been up to, and she asked if I wanted the bit of wool that had been her Mam's. I told her I'd be greatful for it if she wanted to give it to me. At the time I thought it was only a little bag. When she brought the first lot I was shocked and asked if she wanted anything for it. She insisted she didn't. Then she brought more, and I knew I couldn't take all that wool - some of wich must have cost her Mam a lot of money - without giving her something in return. So, since she wouldn't accept any money I brought her something I knew she would be hard pressed to resist... Strawberries and cream. She told me back in the Summer how much she loves Strawberries. *Grins*

Toasty:
You could do it too if you tried. I know you could. If I can do it then I'm sure you could.

Barb:
Thanks. And I think I'll give the underwear a miss for now. Perhaps if push comes to shove with the way things are in the world I may end up making some in the end, but until then I'll stick to the other stuff, I think. ;)

And thanks (about the eye as well).

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

" wow " tori all that wool now you have no excuse to knit for yourself as well as " all " the other people, and yes it was really nice of Eleri to give you all that wool and not want nothing for her ( bless her ).

and i love the t-shirt it looks really great, and some times its better to be to big than not big enough, but well done love.:) .

LadyStyx said...

Great job there, Tori! It looks so comfy. After a wash and dry, if it's still too big for your liking it can always be taken in.

Tori_z said...

Grandma:
Thanks. :)

Styxie:
Thanks! :)

I was actually considering doing that.

whimsical brainpan said...

Wow! I am impressed! Great job!

It looks very comfy.

Tori_z said...

Thanks Whim.

And, it is.

ChicagoLady said...

Great job on the shirt. I agree, it does look comfy, with plenty of room so you don't feel smushed.

And when I was looking at the teddy bears in the pattern, I too noticed that your eyes do look very normal. I wouldn't have known they aren't real.

That was really nice of Eleri to give you all that wool. And I'm sure she appreciated the strawberries and cream you got for her.

Tori_z said...

Thanks Chicago. :)