Friday, March 27, 2009

Furkid Friday: Scary start to Sunday

Kelly took this photo for me yesterday (Thursday) when taking the photos for the craft update.



I'd just told Kero the teddies weren't for him, and he didn't seem happy. So I was giving him a cuddle and telling him I'd make sure he had one for his birthday. I'm not sure that was much comfort to him though. He really did want those teddies. Bless him!

Anyway...

Kero's week has - for the most part - been quiet and uneventful. He's had his walks, he's had the new bed to investigate, he's had his naps, and so on. Nothing special really. That is, apart from Sunday.

Remember my comment the other day about how Mothers' Day didn't start off all that great for my Mam? (Nor was it a particularly nice start to the day for me for that matter). Well, I'm about to enlighten you as to why. I left it until today, because it involves Kero.

I'd been awake all night and was contemplating taking my Mam breakfast in bed. But, as I mentioned the other day, she got up before I'd even made up my mind. Now, my Mam smokes. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it needs to be mentioned, because it was the reason we were out in the garden at 8:00 am on a Sunday morning. You see, I don't allow people to smoke inside. If the weather's really bad I'll let my Mam come just inside the kitchen door, but that's it. So, we (Mam, Kero and I) trooped outside for Mam to have a smoke. Mam and I were talking, and only worried about where Kero was when it came time to come in...

Mam: Where's Kero?
Me: Still outside, I think.

Mam looked in the garden for him.

Mam: I can't see him.
Me: I'll check inside then.
Mam: And I'll check in case he managed to get around the front.

We looked everywhere at least twice. No Kero. By this time we were worried. But next door's front gate was open, so we figured that he'd gotten around the front and then gone across the garden to their gate (there's no fence between the front gardens at the moment). Yes, that was probably it... He was heading off to town, which is what he usually does if he can get out of the gate. As long as we followed him quickly he'd be fine. We had time before he got to the main road, and not many people would be about that early on a Sunday anyway. So, Mam got dressed as fast as she could and rushed up the road to look for him.

I stood there for a while, but felt a bit useless, so I started going from one door to the other calling his name.

After a few attempts I heard the chink of Kero's tags on his collar, and the click of his claws on the concrete by the back door. Then I suddenly had a muddy pawed bundle of fur in my arms... Tail wagging madly. I didn't know whether to hug him or scold him... I ended up doing both, then kept him in my arms and went to the front door to see if Mam was coming back. She was, and her reaction was very much like my own.

It turns out that Kero had found a gap in the fence at the back - which we've now blocked up - and got out through that. We assume he was over in the field behind our garden. I think it was only something like 20 minutes or so that we spent searching for - and worrying about - Kero. But it felt longer. What a way to start Mothers' Day! Well, at least he's OK, I guess.

Tori

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

I'm glad Kero returned safe and sound. Things like that ARE scary.

Hope the rest of your day is a good one, Tori. *hugs*

Punkn said...

You need to provide Kero some mud inside your own gate so he doesn't have to go looking for some ;)

Glad the cute lil' critter is fine. Thanks for posting the pic of the two of you - cute!

Intense Guy said...

I always enjoy a Kero picture! This one has a bonus too, it has Tori in it!

I'm glad Kero is safe, sound, and if he has to be, muddy.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm glad Kero didn't get into too much trouble while he was out playing.

MarmiteToasty said...

What a little scallywag Kero is.... and a tad scary for you....

LOVE the photo......... :)

x

Tori_z said...

Glad you all enjoyed the pic.

And, there's plenty of mud this side of the fence too. But, you know what they say... "The mud is always squishier on the other side." ;)

LadyStyx said...

ooooooooooh naughty Kero for making your mom n gramma worry so about you!

The mud's always squishier....too cute.

Jess said...

You had me really worried when I was reading about you not finding Kero! I'm honestly glad you did.
xx

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
I think he's forgotten about how worried we were already. He'll probably be back out again as soon as he gets the chance. ;)

Jess:
Thanks. :)