Thursday, March 26, 2009

Weekly craft update: Elephant and Westie

Remember how I said last week that I wanted to finish the blanket I'm knitting before I started any other projects? Well, that idea never worked out. LOL!

I was looking through my pattern books and spotted a pattern for a knitted elephant. Or - as the book calls it - a "knitted jumbo"... I don't know why. But, anyway, the pattern insisted it can be "knitted in no time," so I figured I'd have a go at it.

I started knitting it on the weekend, and finished it a couple of days ago. (This is the thing I needed to finish the ears for the other day). Below is a picture Kelly took of it.



OK, so it's not as good as some people might make. But it's the first thing I've knitted that wasn't a blanket, a scarf, or a little hat for a doll. And, I didn't do too bad of a job. It seems to look like an elephant at any rate. That's got to be a good start, right?

After I got done with the elephant I decided to have a go at making a Westie. Eleri and Faye's birthdays are in a couple of months, so I figured I'd give Eleri the elephant, since she loves elephants, and give Faye the Westie, because of how fond of Kero she is.

I finished making the Westie this afternoon, so I had Kelly take a photo of that too.



Personally I'm more pleased with the elephant. Kelly insists they're both good though. *Shrugs* As long as Eleri and Faye like them I guess it doesn't matter really. And - since they seem to be the kind of people who appreciate the effort put in to hand made items - I'm pretty sure they'll like them... Even if they don't look exactly like the elephant and Westie teddies you can buy in the shops.

Anyway...

My intension is to carry on with the blanket now. I stopped knitting it for the elephant and the Westie because they're needed sooner. But I really do want to get more of the blanket done this week than I have been in the past couple of weeks. Last week, for example, I only got maybe half a dozen rows knitted. Perhaps this week I'll do a better job of keeping to my plan of not starting any new projects, and concentrating on the blanket I'm knitting? ;)

Tori

8 comments:

Punkn said...

You did an amazing job on the Elephant and Westie, Tori! I am so jealous of your talent. You rock!

Intense Guy said...

I fully agree with Kelly and Punkn! Both the Westie and the Elephink are really neat!

I didn't know people could even knit that way. Of course most of the knitted stuff I have are my grandmothers toilet paper roll covers.

Tori_z said...

Thanks Punkn and Iggy. *Blushes*

Iggy:
Well, you need to be able to sew too, because you have to knit pieces in certain shapes and sizes then sew them together.

AliceKay said...

Hey, Tori...you did a great job! Loved the elephant.

ChicagoLady said...

Both are really cute. Good job!

The Wife O Riley said...

Nice job!! They both look wonderful!!!

LadyStyx said...

Wonderful job on both. Much better than I could ever do!

Tori_z said...

Thanks all. :)