Thursday, March 05, 2009

Weekly Craft Update

Firstly, Barb (CelticSpirit) asked about the wool I use and whether it's proper wool or yarn. I never answered the question, so I will now.

The answer is that we don't tend to distinguish between yarn or wool. We just have different kinds of wool. I think it's what you call yarn though because of the price. It's all wool to me either way though.

***~***

Knitting:

I haven't done much knitting this past week. I've done a few rows of my blanket but that's about it.

I think I mentioned that my braille patterns arrived? Well, if I didn't then I have now. Anyway, I've had a little read of them and they seem pretty simple to follow. Also, I've discovered that one of the booklets has a pattern for fingerless gloves, which I'm really pleased about because I wanted to make my Mam a pair.

Kelly went and got me a few more balls of wool when he went to pay the rent on Tuesday. He was going to get more than he did, but the wool has almost doubled in price since the last time he went to get it. It's still quite cheap, but still... *Sigh*... I also got a load of wool when I went shopping with my Mam yesterday (Wednesday). We went to a different place to where Kelly goes, and it's still just as cheap there as it was the last time she picked some up for me. So now I have a nice stack of wool to be getting on with. :)

Sewing:

I've almost finished the seams of the t-shirt I'm making. Once I've finished those I'll just need to do the hems and I'll have the t-shirt finished. You never know, I may have it ready to show you in next week's update! :)

OK, that's it for this week's craft update.

Tori

9 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Yarn is ...made from wool right?

- Confused

:)

My Side of the Story! said...

Yarn is made from Alpaca... Just kidding... I'm talking out of my butt right now. LOL!

I think that's great that you are able to get braille patterns!

Good luck with the projects and let us all know how they come out.

AliceKay said...

Yarn is made from several types of materials. And yes, there is alpaca yarn. We sell feed to customers who own alpacas, and my husband has bought several pairs of socks made from the alpaca yarn. This link is for a company near York, Pennsylvania. It's rather interesting.

LadyStyx said...

Cant wait to see your work!

Tori_z said...

Thanks for the comments all

Iggy:
Don't feel too bad... I'm confused myself!

I wish people used the same English words all over the world for things... It would make things so much easier!

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

your " grandma " is so proud of you tori for doing all these " craft " things , cant wait to get " my blanket " but yes i know i have to wiat my turn, and that is fine by me, :).

Celticspirit said...

Thanks for explaining the wool question. From the way I understand it, wool is made from sheep and yarn is acrylic or a blend of things...including maybe part wool. Yaayyy...way to go on getting so much done on the t-shirt!
I had no idea you could get braille patterns. How awesome!
I can't wait to see your finished projects.

Tori_z said...

Grandma:
Thanks. And, yep, you'll have to wait your turn.

Barb:
I still think they should just call them all wool like we do over here and make it easier for everyone.

I didn't know they did braille patterns either. But I was browsing the "non-fiction" section of the RNIB's book site and came across them in there. So, I grabbed what I liked the look of while I knew they still had them (the RNIB only do some things for a limited amount of time and I didn't want to leave them and then find they weren't there later).

whimsical brainpan said...

I can't wait tot see your projects!