Monday, March 30, 2009

Books and baking (FD)

When we fetched some books from the library last time we just went for titles that caught our attention. This resulted in one of the books I borrowed from the library being the memoirs of Roberta Taylor. "Too Many Mothers" is the title of said book. As it happens though I'm quite a fan of autobiographies and biographies, so I did enjoy listening to the book.

The other book I borrowed last time - which I finished listening to on Saturday morning - was "Yesterday's Girl" by Anna Jacobs. A book which tells the story of "Violet" and how her work in London during the first world war changed her life for the better, and gave her the family she had been longing for all her life. Anna Jacobs' books were recommended to me by my Grandma and my Nan. I'm glad I decided to give them a listen, because they really do seem to be very good books. I've enjoyed all the ones I've listened to so far.

***~***

On Saturday morning I woke up really early and was feeling restless. I wanted to be doing something. At first I didn't know what, but then I became inspired to bake. So, that's exactly what I did.

I made some home-made pastry, which is something I've never done before. Usually if I do anything with pastry I buy the pastry to save time and effort. But I didn't have any and I wanted to make pies, so I made my own. It seems to have worked out OK. It seems pastry-like anyway.

I ended up making a couple of little chicken pies, a couple of chicken pasties, and a couple of veggie pies (for myself, since I don't eat the chicken ones).

I was going to make some cakes too. But by the time I'd done the pies I was tired, and both myself and the kitchen needed cleaning up. And, by the time I'd done the cleaning up - including washing up everything I'd used - all I wanted to do was take a nap. So, that's exactly what I did.

Then, after my nap, I cooked dinner. I made a roast dinner, but I didn't have any of the meat... I'm having issues with eating meat at the moment. And I made enough for two dinners each so nobody would have to do any cooking on Sunday. I figured I wouldn't be feeling like cooking on Sunday after all the cooking I'd done Saturday. And with Kelly being sick at the moment he's not feeling like doing much of anything.

I haven't done that much cooking in a long time. And I definately haven't done any baking in ages. I just haven't wanted to. I used to do it quite often, but in the last couple of years I really haven't wanted to even try. Even the dinners I've cooked have been simple things like egg on toast, ready meals, etc. But on Saturday I just felt like making some pies. So, I did.

I'm planning on doing some more baking later in the week. Probably either tomorrow or Wednesday. There's a pie my Mam makes that Kelly really likes, and she taught me how to make it, so I'm going to make some for him. And I want to make some different veggie meals up to put in the freezer for myself. Will let you know when and what I make. There wont be photos though. Sorry.

***~***

OK, that's it from me for now.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day! :)

And... Hugs, thoughts, prayers, and get well wishes for those who are in need of them.

Tori

11 comments:

The Wife O Riley said...

Somedays you just have to bake. I completely understand, although I have never attempted to make my own pastry.

Have you ever read Maeve Binchy? I think you would enjoy her.

Intense Guy said...

I hope Kelly feels better soon. Your cooking efforts sound yummy. I think I had a couple crackers on Saturday and a some cheese twists on sunday. I burned the coffee water too.

Punkn said...

Oh dear, I hope my sheep post has nothing to do with you not eating meat again... Everything you made sounds yummy.
I agree with Wifey, Maeve Binchy is a wonderful author. I devour her books.
I didn't burn water Iggy, but I about burned up the microwave - turned it on with nothing in it.

MarmiteToasty said...

(((Kelly))) huge hugs matie, get better soon....

Wow Tori you have been busy.... there aint nuffin better then homemade stuff, you did well girl :)

I have a great recipe that I tried for the first time last week which was sausage and leek pie with the simplist of pastry tops, dam was it good or what.... I used beef sausages, ya know those expensive ones from ASDA.... it the most easiest pie Ive ever made and it got the thumbs up from everyone....

We are having roast pork and butternut squash with roastie spuds in garlic with carrots and brocoli.... well, I dont do pork but I will have the rest, cos we didnt have a roast yesterday......

x

AliceKay said...

You amaze me at how well you can manage cooking and baking...and everything else you do on a daily basis. I don't bake that much anymore, and when I do, I don't bake much from scratch.

I hope Kelly feels better soon. You take care, too. *hugs*

whimsical brainpan said...

Glad the baking was a success. You've made me very hungry. :-)

I hope Kelly feels better soon.

ChicagoLady said...

Wow, you were quite busy in the kitchen on Saturday!

I think it's wonderful that you're continuing to do so many things that you loved to do before.

Mmmmm, would love to go share some supper with Marmite!

Tori_z said...

Wifey:
No, I haven't read Maeve Binchy. Though I have heard of her.

Iggy:
I hope he does too. Hopefully before I catch it.

I've burned plenty of things, but never water. At least, not yet. ;)

Punkn:
*Shrugs* Not sure. I've had some issues with eating meat since I was little and my older brother pointed out various stages of meat preporation in a butcher's shop (basically, when I learned where meat actually comes from). Ever since then I've had problems eating large amounts of meat, and a couple of times have refused to eat it all together. In all honesty... Your lamb post might have contributed, but it wasn't the only thing. Besides, it'll do me good to eat more veg. Don't worry about it. It'll either pass or I'll become a vegetarian again. Only time will tell. :)

Toasty:
Thanks. I don't do baking much any more. But I felt like it the other day. And Kelly seems to be enjoying the stuff I made for him. :)

I don't know if I like butternut squash... I think I tried it once, but I don't remember what I thought of it.

AK:
Half the time it's to prove someone wrong. If someone tells me I can't do something then I will often try just to try and prove them wrong. Don't know why... I just do. It helps that Carl can do most stuff too, because then I want to do it to show I can do just as well as Carl can.

Whim:
Well, I hope you had something tasty to eat after I made you so hungry. :)

Chicago:
Yeah, I was. I even cleaned up my mess... Much to Kelly's relief, I'm sure. ;)

I've got to carry on and do stuff really. If I did what people seem to think blind people can do I'd just be sat on my bum reading braille books, listening to audio books, and maybe playing the odd game of Chess or Scrabble... If someone has the time. I couldn't just do that day in and day out. Yeah, I like my books, and I do like the odd game of Scrabble. But you have to have more than that.

LadyStyx said...

I get that way during the first cold snap in autumn. All I want to do is bake.

Kati said...

Glad you got some baking done, Tori! It's always nice to be able to give in to that urge when it strikes.

Hope Kelly recovers quickly!

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
It's rare for me to get urges to bake. But it's usually some time between about early to mid Autumn and Christmas that I'll get the urge to bake if I do. Especially just before Christmas (although, the last couple of years I pretty much just let my Mam do the baking and passed her things when she needed them).

Kati:
We always keep baking supplies in the house in case either I want to bake something, a new recipe we want to try needs the stuff, or my Mam comes down and feels like baking. So as a general rule if I want to bake the stuff is here. The most that might happen is I'd be missing something I wanted in a spacific recipe. But I have basic baking ingredients on hand so I've always got the main ingredients if nothing else.