Thursday, November 12, 2009

Homemade bread (FD)

As I've mentioned several times, I've been trying to get it that at least the bulk of the food we're eating is homemade. This is both because it does actually work out cheaper, and because I wanted to know what's really in our food, and avoid all the extra addatives and such you get with microwave meals and things like that. Seeing that I really was doing this, my Mam brought me a birthday present that she let me have early. Very early, actually, since she gave it to me a couple of weeks ago. In fact, I think I mentioned it around the time she gave it to me. Anyway, it's a bread maker, and the photo below is of the first loaf of bread I made in it.



I couldn't make bread myself before, because I don't have anywhere warm enough for the dough to rise properly (at least, not where the dough wouldn't be in the way). But ever since I got the bread maker, I've made my own bread every couple of days (using a recipe given to my Mam by my Grandad).

Gotta love that smell of freshly baked bread! :)

Tori

10 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Wow, an early present and one that makes the house smell great at that!

I've seen a "no rise" breadmaker a friend of mine really likes - but it looks pretty complicated for a "Who me? Read the instructions?" kind of kind like me. :)

Deanna said...

What a wonderful present! And is there a scent better than that of fresh baked bread? I think not...

Wendyburd1 said...

it looks yummy!

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Mine is nice and simple. You press a button to say how dark you want the bread to get (as in how cooked you want it) then another to say what size loaf you're making (which you can figure out by how much flour you add) then press the start button. Then you sit back and wait for the bread! You can see how long it will take when you're done selecting your options, but it does happily beep at you - like a microwave does, only louder - when the bread is done.

There are a couple of other buttons on it, but they're not important unless you're trying to do fancy things in it. For basic bread you just need them three buttons.

AK:
I agree! That's why I wanted to be able to make my own.

Wendy:
Thanks. :)

That corgi :) said...

hi; came over via Iggy's blog to wish you a happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day! I love the picture of your dog and the pumpkin; aren't dogs wonderful??

yum on the bread machine; we had one a few years ago and it made the house smell so good as the bread was cooking

good for you too for wanting to eat healthier

and I absolutely love the rating system you have for your blog posts; I've never seen one like that before; very clever :)

again, enjoy your birthday!

betty

MarmiteToasty said...

nuffin nicer in the world then a home filled with the smell of freshly baked bread......

Even though we do NOT have a breadmaker, I make all different kids of bread each week.... aint it so satisfying.....

good on your girl...... we should buy a Welsh hill farm and go self sufficient :)

x

AliceKay said...

I think you meant Deanna, Tori...I hadnt commented on this one until now. For some reason, some blogs didn't show me new posts last night. :(

Yep, gotta love the smell of freshly baked bread. Glad it's working out well for you. :)

LadyStyx said...

I love the smell of fresh baked bread. Infact, that's the deadliest part of a store is the bakery. My dad used to make homemade bread a couple times a month. The house smelled oh so heavenly!

Tori_z said...

Betty:
Thanks for dropping by, and for the birthday wishes! :)

Yes, dogs are wonderful... I love my little baby boy! :)

The rating system was inspired by Iggy.

Tori_z said...

Toasty:
Yep, we should! :)


AK:
Oops... Yes, I did mean Deanna!


Deanna:
Sorry... The comment before that was aimed at AK was meant for you.

Styxie:
So the smell of freshly baked bread makes you think of your Dad? That's nice! :)