Sunday, May 22, 2011

8th wedding anniversary

On this day, eight years ago, I was in Canada and getting married. Well, actually, at the time it is in Canada at this very moment, I was probably not even up yet, but let's not be picky. For those who know my age... Yes, that's right, I was barely legal when I got married. Everyone said it wouldn't last, and that we'd be divorcing within two years - if we made it that long - but here we are, eight years later, still married, and happy to be celebrating our anniversary together!

I still remember how he proposed, and I still remember how we came to set the date for our wedding, and I also still remember the events of the day itself. Today, I'm going to share some of the details with you.

For the benifit of anyone who doesn't know, I met Kelly online. After we'd been having an online relationship for a while - and talking on the phone quite a lot too - he obviously decided he wanted to be with me in a more permanent capacity, because he came online one day, and we had a conversation that went something like this:

Kelly: Will you marry me?
Me: Huh?
Kelly: Will you marry me?
Me: I haven't even met you in person yet!
Kelly: OK, but if you still feel the same about me when you do, will you?
Me: Sure, why not!

He then told me he had to ask my Dad's permission, so I got Dad's permission to give Kelly his e-mail address, Dad went on MSN (yeah, that's where the proposal took place, lol) and I went off to get a drink. Next thing I know Dad's calling me, so I go to him, and we have a conversation something like this:

Dad: He wants to marry you
Me: Apparently
Dad: He wants my permission
Me: Yeah, I know
Dad: Should I give it? Do you want to marry him?
Me: Might as well
Dad: Well, shall I give my permission, then you can decide when you meet him?
Me: Sure, why not!

Dad then told Kelly that as long as I wanted to, it was fine with him.

That Christmas I spent in Canada with him, and the following April I went there for what ended up being about six months (was meant to have been a permanent thing, but that's another story). I'd been there a few weeks when I decided that we might as well go ahead with the whole getting married thing (I had my reasons for doing it quickly, but I wont go in to them on here). So, Kelly comes home from work one day and...

Me: So, you still want to marry me?
Kelly: Yes
Me: OK, well we can start sorting it out later then
Kelly: OK, but I need a nap first!

(He worked nights, slept a couple of hours when he came home, spent the middle part of the day with me, had another short nap, then went back to work... So as to spend time in the day with me, but still not be too tired at work at night).

When he got up from his nap, we looked up what we needed to sort out, and figured we'd sort it right away, and it would depend how long things took to when it would happen.

As it turned out, the following day we went and got our marriage lisence and rings. It was a Friday. The following Wednesday we picked up Kelly's ring (mine we already had, since we could take it with us right away, but Kelly's had needed to be resized) and on the Thursday we got married. We had just two witnesses... Kelly's Mother, Jenifer, and her sister, Susan... And got married several stories up in the apartment/flat of someone who we'd found on the list given to us when we got our marriage lisence. We got married in our every day clothes - since neither of us are keen on "dressing up" (yep, even if it's our own wedding, lol) - and afterwards we went to a food court where Jen, Sue and I had McDonalds, and Kelly had tacos.

My parents couldn't get over to Canada quickly enough to attend, and Kelly's sister, Sherry, was meant to have been there with little Devin, but we weren't sure how long it would take, and we didn't want to pull Tamara out of school for the day, so Sherry didn't come in case she couldn't make it home in time for when Tamara came home (since she was too young to be home alone at that point, because she was only nine).

Definately not a traditional proposal and wedding, eh? ;)

I scared Kelly on the day. I didn't mean to, but I still did. Remember how I said the flat/apartment was several floors up? Well, there was a small balcony, and we were told we could go out on it and look at the view if we wanted. I did want to. Only, I guess I was leaning over the railings a bit too much for Kelly's liking, because he was convinced I was going to fall. I didn't though - obviously - although, I wish I'd taken my camera out there with me and taken a photo of that view!

Anyway, that was eight years ago... Hard to believe, but it was! Well, actually, the proposal part happened about 8 and a half years ago, but you get the point, I'm sure!

I don't know if he'll read this, since sometimes he reads my blog, other times he doesn't, but... Happy anniversary to my wonderful hubby. I hope we have many more years together!

8 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Even if the "particulars" are rather "particular" and unusual, in the end all that matters is that the two of you were in love decided you wanted to be with each other... and the test of time has shown your love to be true. Included in the testing, most likely was your loss of vision... and I'm sure that "dealing" with that took some love.

Happy Anniversary Tori and Kelly!! I hope you have many more, shared and unconventional years ahead!

Celticspirit said...

Happy Anniversary Tori and Kelly! I loved reading your story about how you met and went to Canada. I don't think it's odd at all since I met Russell online.

Deanna said...

What an amazing story! It sounds like the two of you were meant for each other. Happy Anniversary Tori and Kelly and many more happy years together!

Rita said...

I'm so glad to know you guys' story! Cool! Happy, happy anniversary!! You guys have been through a lot and are still going strong. May you have many decades together and you love burn brightly! :):)

Dagan and Leah just made nine years on Monday, too. So happy for all of you!! :)

AliceKay said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Kelly. That's quite an interesting story. :) Best wishes for many more years together. *hugs*

Toriz said...

Thanks all! :)

Rita:
Belated happy anniversary to Dagan and Leah!

Lynn said...

Oh what a wonderful post Tori, Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!!! I wish you the best of many more years.

Toriz said...

Thanks Lynn! :)