Saturday, May 14, 2011

Doorstep debates

Another thing was mentioned in the post that vanished from Thursday. That thing was my various discussions with Jahovah's Witnesses (sorry, but I don't know if I spelled that right, and can't be bothered to look it up and check at the moment).

Now, I want to stress here that I have no issues wit people having their own different beliefs. I don't personally believe in God, but I have several friends who do, and that's fine. But, if you knock on my door and start challenging my beliefs and telling me I should believe what you believe, then I'm going to start challenging your beliefs too. It's nothing personal, but I'm going to do it. The best way to avoid this is to avoid getting me in a debate about religeon. Simple as that! However, Jahovah's Witnesses insist on knocking on my door and attempting to convert me.

Another thing you need to know here is that most of my friends are online, so I don't see many people. My main non-family visitors are the people who deliver my post. The thing is though - despite the fact I don't go in for all those big social gatherings and all that - I love to talk.

Can you see where I'm going with this? You got it! They knock on my door, I decide to talk to them - unless I'm busy when they call - and they start to challenge my beliefs, so I throw back challenges of my own. This leads to conversations like this:

JW: "So you believe in evolution, and the big bang theory?"
Me: "Yes, I do."
JW: "Then you believe there was some kind of energy that created the universe?"
Me: "Yes, some sort of energy - perhaps chemical, perhaps not, though I'm more enclined to accept the "it was a chemical reaction" theory for the creation of the universe."
JW: "Then where did this chemical energy come from?"
Me: "I'm not a scientist, how do I know?"
JW: "Do you accept it could possibly be God?"
Me: "OK, let's just say - for the sake of argument - that it is God. Then answer this... Where did God come from?"
JW:" Excuse me?"
Me: "Well, what you're saying is, nothing can just exist, it has to have a source, correct?"
JW: "Yes."
Me: "So, what source created God?"

They couldn't answer that question.

Another interesting - to me - conversation was this one:

JW: "Do you believe that someone tends the plants and flowers in nature?"
Me: "Humans tend to do things like that."
JW: "And what about the places people don't tend to?"
Me: "They look after themselves, that's why they're called "wild" areas."
JW: "But let's just say that someone has some kind of grand design and makes them that way on purpose..."
Me: "Oh, you mean fairies?"
JW: "Fairies aren't real."
Me: "How can you be sure?"
JW: "There's no proof they exist."
Me: "There's no proof God exists either, but you believe in him. If you can believe in God, why can't I believe in fairies?"
JW: "Because they aren't real."
Me: "They could be."
JW: "But the bible is proof of God existing, there's no evidence of fairies."
Me: "Actually, there are far more books with fairies in them than there are books about God."
JW: "But the bible is the word of God."
Me: "As dictated to man, right?"
JW: "Yes."
Me: "So how can you be sure fairies didn't show themselves to the people who first wrote the books about them? I mean the idea has to have come from somewhere, right?"

Anyway, when I get bored of them I just make an excuse to end our conversation. A common statement that works well is, "Did I mention I'm a Pagan?" They really don't like that one. I think it's because of the common false belief that Pagans are Satan worshipers. Sorry to disappoint you people, but since I don't believe Satan exists, how can I worship him?

Anyway, as I said, people are entitled to their own beliefs, but you come knocking on my door and challenging my beliefs, and this is what you get!

P.S. I saw a couple more of them today, Nikki, and I asked them about the windows thing... They said it's not all of their churches, it's just that some places do that because they've had a lot of issues with people breaking their windows, and are fed up of it. Apparently the church near here has plenty of windows (they offered to take me and show me).

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I wonder if you made any of THEM actually stop and think?

Nawww... I doubt it.

:)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
You never know... It's possible...

:)

Rita said...

Sounds like some interesting conversations. I don't think you probably made them think, but I'd like to imagine them milling on a few concepts--hehe! Narrow minds don't tend to wander much. LOL! ;)

AliceKay said...

I had one of their pamphlets stuck between my doors one day when I got home from work. Needless to say, I chucked it. I have my beliefs, but I don't try to sway people to them.

Deanna said...

I believe in God, but I DON'T believe in anyone forcing their believes on anyone else. You did a great job of handling them. I'm surprized they ever come back!

Lynn said...

People like that can get agressive, it really gets me how people want to argue religion, they ask you are you going to heaven and I say yes and then they say are you sure, like they are the perfect ones and knows all. I think you handled it well and if they keep going back to your house maybe you are humoring them :o)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yeah, very true!

AK & Deanna:
My point exactly! Everyone is entitled to believe what they want, but don't shove it down other people's throats. I know you believe in God, and you know I don't, so we just agree to disagree, and don't try to change each other's beliefs.

Lynn:
Yeah, maybe, but these discuussions give me a break from my usual routine, so... *Shrugs*

Still, I think it's wrong they go door to door anyway. I mean, I bet they wouldn't like it if I knocked on their door to preach about my beliefs, would they?