Monday, December 05, 2011

The eagerly awaited birthday package

Ever since my birthday I'd been waiting impatiently for a spacific parcel to arrive in the post. I didn't know exactly what it would contain, but I knew who it was from, which I knew would be enough to identify it when it arrived.

Finally the day came when the parcel was put in to my hands.

Excitedly I began clawing at the tape around the box to try and open it.

My attempts were unsuccessful.

No matter, I have ways of dealing with troublesome tape; I grabbed the nearest pair of our kitchen scissors and carefully cut through the tape, using the gapps between the box flaps as a guide to know where it would be best to cut. Once I was done, I set the scissors aside and lifted the flaps.

Suddenly, something leapt from the box.

I grabbed the thing before it could escape, trying to hold it down long enough to discover what it was. It was small and furry; what could it be?

Ah-ha! I had it!

It was a squirrel, brandishing a nut and dragging some socks behind it:


I stroked the squirrel to calm it, and it is now my newest animal friend; never have I known a squirrel more eager to be friends. I suppose it was the couple of weeks spent in a box with only a couple of pairs of socks for company?

The poor thing is clutching its last nut as though its very life depends on not letting go of it. I've made no attempts to seporate it, and wouldn't dream of doing so, especially not after the possibly traumatic long journey the squirrel has had to endure.

I've never known a squirrel be so easy to photograph before either, LOL!

As for the socks...


My feet very much appreciate the two pairs of socks that the squirrel brought with it; not only are they warm, but - being proper walking socks - they are the perfect socks to wear with my walking boots, making my feet toasty and warm, and much more comfortable when walking than they've felt in some time.

I suppose now you'll be wondering where this package came from? Well, I'll tell you...

This package was my birthday present from Iggy; thanks Iggy! :)

11 comments:

Parsley said...

How fun! Nice to have 'squirrely' friends. LOL

Deanna said...

I saw that squirrel and immediately knew it had to have come from Iggs. What a cute little critter he is.

Intense Guy said...

LOL!

I'm glad Squirrel had enough nuts to feed on during the long, long trip across the ocean!

:)

Toriz said...

Parsley:
Absolutely! :)

Deanna:
I figured you'd figure it out, LOL!

Iggy:
Yes, it wouldn't have done for the squirrel to starve... Poor thing must have really had to ration the nuts though with how long it took to arrive!

Rita said...

Oh that Iggy is the best gift giver! What a cute squirrel and very nice warm socks!! Glad they finally arrived. :):)

AliceKay said...

That's an extra special birthday gift. Iggy knew you would give that squirrel a good home. Does it have a name?

The socks look nice and warm. I'm glad they'll make you more comfortable during your walks.

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yes, he is; I'm glad they finally arrived too!

AK:
Its name is "Nut"... For obvious reasons, I'm sure.

Yes, the socks are very warm; I was glad of them the other day!

The Coexist Cafe said...

What a sweet gift! :D And oh lord, I thought the squirrel was for real... SO glad you posted a picture. LOL

Happy belated birthday!! <3

That corgi :) said...

What a cute squirrel and wonderful gift from Iggy! I bet those socks are just perfect to keep your feet warm and fit just right in your walking boots! Enjoy!

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

Iggy is just the sweetest, isn't he?? What a lovely package!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Late, but still, lol!

Enjoy your thoughtful prezzies!!!!

Toriz said...

Stephanie:
*Chuckles* Then I did my job well; that's what you were meant to think. ;)

And, thanks!

Betty:
*Nods*

Jeannie:
Thanks! :)