Saturday, December 10, 2011

Local tree lighting ceremony and holiday decorations 2011 (LBE and FD)

On Friday December 2nd there was a local tree lighting ceremony.

I was really excited; I always loved holiday lights, and there were to be carolers and a town cryer. Plus, there were to be roast chestnuts and mince pies; I'd never had proper roast chestnuts before (just ones dried out on a tray in the oven).

Anyway...

It was originally meant to happen at 4:00 pm - according to the flyer we had about it - but then we discovered (when trying to find the exact spot it was happening at) that the time had been changed, and it wasn't until 5:00 pm.

We'd already been walking about by the seaside for almost an hour, but we figured we'd hang around and walk around the park it was happening in.

But, then, 5:00 pm was only a few minutes away, and nobody else had appeared. By now we were cold, so we went home. There was a website on the flyer, and we'd check that and see what happened; maybe it was happening later? Or maybe we were in the wrong area and had missed it? We decided we'd check, and if it was happening later then we'd come back later.

While checking the website we discovered we must have just left as people arrived to start setting up for it; they'd changed the time again, and it was happening at 5:30 pm!

There was still time to get back to it, but I wasn't in the mood any more.

Besides, taking the time to calm the very hyper dog that was Kero enough to get him back in his harness and lead would mean we might miss the start, and since it wasn't meant to be very long I didn't want to go if I was going to miss some of it.

So I sent Kelly to it by himself with my camera to get some photos; and I told him to bring me back some roast chestnuts, lol!

There wasn't much light; the only light was the light from the tree lights, but he did his best with getting photos...

The lit tree:


An attempted shot of the carol singers and town cryer:


The photos might have been better, only I forgot to tell him how to work my camera's flash, and it doesn't have an automatic flash (which I think is weird, but there you go).

I think next year we'll check the website before we go. The good thing is though... We know we had the right place; just the wrong time, LOL!

And, if you're wondering... I enjoyed the roast chestnuts!

Now for my own holiday decorations...

I don't have many these days, but those I have are filled with memories, and I can tell you where each came from; in fact, that's just what I'm going to do.

This is my window display in the dark:



Still in the dark, but now from inside:


And here it is in daylight:


And from inside in the daylight:



My tree is now four years old; it's an artificial tree. I'd love a real tree, but it seems so mean to cut the tree down to just use it for decoration. If I could use it for firewood afterwards then it wouldn't be so bad, but since I can't then I feel it would be a shame to cut it down. Anyway, my tree is a fibre optic one; those who have followed my blog for several years may remember when I got it. My sight was really starting to go, and Kelly got it for me because it goes through so many colours when it's going through its colour sequence, and at the time colours were the only thing I could still see (well, colours and lights... And this is both).

I'm not sure if you can see the little bells around the bottom of the tree? They're small plastic ones wrapped around the lowest branches. They're a set from one of the many sets my Mam owns; she has quite a selection of little plastic bells on plastic chains, and she let me have these ones several years ago; I think when I first left home, or maybe a year or two later.

The little blue lights are snowman lights I brought a couple of years ago; I got them because they were shaped like the heads of snowmen.

The Santa with the candle I brought my first Christmas after I left home; I saw it at the post office when I went to post some cards, and I knew I had to have it.

The reindeer in the hat with a steering wheel plays, "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer," when you touch its paw, and I got it a couple of years ago. My Mam has one like it (we got them at the same time when we were out shopping).

The little angel by the wooden ornaments was one I found a couple of years ago. It was brough the same time as the, "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer," reindeer; Mam showed the angel to me, and I immediately put it in the trolley to buy it.

The wooden decorations... The little tree and the other one - which I can't remember if it's meant to be a bird or an angel, and can't make my mind up when I have it in my hands either - came from a place in Canada two years ago. I brought them because they have braille on them. I did have two more of each, but Mam has them now.

The angel in the red dress used to be on our tree when I was really young. She was evicted from her spot when my Dad found a wizard to take her place, but I thought it seemed a shame for her to be shut up in a box, so I asked if I could have her. She's been out on display every year since. And the reason she isn't on top of the tree is simply that I just decided not to put her on the tree; it seemed kind of odd to do so when the tree isn't really decorated properly. She had to be near it though.

The flickering candle is a new addition to my decoration collection; I got two of them, but one is set aside for another use while this one is being used for decoration. They're battery powered, but made to seem like real candles. That's why I got them; I want to do a ritual that involves walking around with a lit candle and a bell (more on that at a later date) and we didn't think it wise for me to be doing this with a proper candle, but I wanted something that would be as close as possible. When I saw these I knew I had to have one for my ritual, and thought I'd grab two so as to have one as a decoration too (since I don't want to use a ritual candle as a general decoration; it doesn't seem right to do so).

OK, on to the rest of my decorations...

This bird is one of four identical birds that Iggy sent me last year. By the time they arrived I was nearly ready to pull down my decorations, so I didn't see any point in adding them to the tree last year, but I knew immediately they'd be added to my tree from this year onwards; they have little bits of wire on their feet that make them perfect to tie to the branches of the tree, and they just seem like they belong.



This small apple decoration that's hanging on one of the hooks for the curtain tie is one from the ones my Mam has had for as long as I can remember; she has loads like it, and this one found its way in to my collection somehow.


This little stocking - which is hanging on the other curtain tie hook - was on a card I had from Iggy a couple of years ago; it came off the card, so I kept it as a decoration.


I brought this snowman wind chime a few years back; I don't remember how many. I had a couple of them - not all snowmen - but I gave the others away. This is the only one that remains. It's atatched to the hook for our washing line outside our door.


My Mam gave me this bauble a couple of years ago; it plays music when you gently shake it (or do something else to make it move... Like clap right by it, knock against it, etc). It's hung on our living room door knob; it would be playing every time I passed it but I have it turned off most of the time. As much as I love the thing, it does get a little annoying when every time you walk through the door it plays a tune. Of course, I have to turn it on sometimes though... Don't I? *Winks*


I did a post about it - complete with a short video clip - when I first got it; it was three years ago. If you want to check it out, go to this post.

This picture of Santa being climbed on by puppies has been on my door since I was a child; it's looking really battered, but I can't bring myself to throw it away.


And that's all of them.

***

Today I'm joining in with the first of the three blog parties I've signed up for this holiday season. Join in the fun by clicking on the button below:

src="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iKN82vOWz9Y/TsieBcaZdqI/AAAAAAAAFb8/8N3qAQ9Az0M/s1600/Yuletideball2011witchbutton2eaw.jpg" border="0" alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5676961077944481442" />

11 comments:

Celticspirit said...

I can't see the pictures on this post. They have all lines through them but maybe it's my computer. Not sure.

Kat of EmKatCreations said...

Having the same issue with your pictures but thank you for your post, Happy Yuletide Witches Ball!

AliceKay said...

Yep, for some reason Blogger didn't upload your pictures correctly. :(

Sorry to hear you missed the tree lighting ceremony but glad you enjoyed the roasted chestnuts. I've never had any of those so not sure what they taste like. I'm glad Kelly was able to go back down to take a few pictures and get the chestnuts for you.

I'm sure your decorations are really nice, but Blogger is being a Grinch and not cooperating in showing them to us. :( Pain in the butt when you work long and hard on a post and then Blogger acts up.

I received your cute Christmas card in yesterday's mail. Thank you very much. I liked it! :) I sent yours out the other day so it should reach you before Christmas. :)

Hope you're having a good weekend. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

Hmm.. The two photos of the tree lighting are showing - but the rest of them are corrupted or something. Frowns... I hate blogger sometimes...

I was fortunate to sort these photos - so I know what they look like... I hope the others get a chance to see them too -

But most importantly to me - is the sentiment you express - the treasured ornaments are the extra special ones, no matter how "battered" or time-worn... the memories that "light them from within" are there forever.

*hugs*

That corgi :) said...

I enjoyed reading about your ornaments, Tori, and those snowmen lights sound so cute! I am sorry there was an issue with Blogger to get the photos to load right because I'm sure everything looks so neat!

Too bad about the tree lighting ceremony, but you are right, you'll be better prepared for next year. I too have never had roasted chestnuts, but now I hope I have a chance to try some! They did sound delicious!

betty

Rita said...

Only the first two pictures showed up for me, too...but it made me stop and think and appreciate each and every word of your descriptions and think about how much you have to rely on words only now, too. In an odd way, it made me feel like I shared your decorations more with you tan if I had seen them with my eyes, if that makes any sense.

Got a package today, you little stinker! :):):) Now can we leave them alone till Christmas? I am sure going to try! ;)

Toriz said...

Barb:
Apparently it's not just you. :(

Kat:
Thanks; and thanks for stopping by! :)

AK:
They're sort of sweet, but not overly so; you should try some if you get a chance!

Iggy:
When I uploaded them I was getting error messages, so I wasn't surprised when I read about the issues people were having with seeing them; Not sure if it's Blogger or the photos or what. I know it's annoying though!

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the post, and I also hope the others can get to see the photos!

Betty:
I'm glad you enjoyed the post, though sorry you couldn't see the photos either. :(

I hope you can get to try roast chestnuts too!

Rita:
Yes, it makes sense; and, thanks for that! :) *Hugs*

*Grins* I couldn't resist!

Susan said...

I am sorry you missed the festivities but glad you got your roast chestnuts. I myself do not care for them, one year in NYC I tried them. I also have a fiber optic tree and love it! However it will not be up this year.

A lot of the reason is that i am still without a room being converted for my studio. the larger part is my depression and just not feeling it.

Your pics sadly are all broken up and pixely.

I received your package the other day, THANK YOU so very much! not sure I'll ever use that much black paint, LOL!
love n light,
Susan

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to go to the ceremony! I'll bet your carolers are just awesome!!! Perhaps some will come around??

Good news! It looks like we will be coming to England in July for a visit! We will be visiting London and then my friend who lives in Maplethorpe, Lincolnshire! How far are you from there???

Toriz said...

Susan:
It's a shame you wont be having your tree up, but your reasons are understandable. *Hugs*

The photos are the same ones ffrom Monday's post; I don't know for sure what happened to them originally, but Iggy re-sorted them and re-sent them to me and they work now. It means you need to refer to both posts though; Monday's for the photos, this one for the text.

I'm glad the package arrived safely; you never know about the paint... LOL! It "should" keep well though anyway, so you'll have black paint for some time. ;)

Toriz said...

Jeannie:
Yes, maybe they will... I hope so! :)

Awesome! We're 70 miles from London (at least, that's what someone told Kelly, LOL!)