Saturday, December 03, 2011

Update for the "Get Off Your Broom" challenge (kinda FD)

I'm meant to be writing a proper update for the "Get Off Your Broom" challenge that Serenity is still hosting. I'm meant to weigh and measure myself, then I'm meant to tell you how good - or bad - of a week I've had when it comes to eating right, drinking properly, and exercising regularly. And when I'm done with that I'm meant to decide if I'm participating in this week's mini challenge, and if I am post about it.

But I'm not going to do that.

And now I suppose you want to know why?

Here's the thing...

I joined the challenge to have others standing beside me while I tried to lose weight and get back the healthy habits I used to have. I wanted to blog hop with those people and offer them encouragement while at the same time getting some in return.

At first this was working for me, but then I started thinking too much. It's good to conciously be thinking about adopting healthier habits; everyone knows that. But I started worrying about it and obsessing over it. My mind was filled with thoughts like, "it's Saturday; I need to do my weight and measurements... What if I haven't lost anything? Or, worse, what if I've put weight or inches back on?" and "why are all of those people on the challenge? I wish I was as light as they are; they don't need something like this to lose weight, do they?" The result was that a combination of this and a few other things I've been dealing with made me ill, which caused me to not be in any fit shape to do any exercise anyway, and - as a result - caused me to put back on some of the weight I had managed to lose since the start of the year.

Anyway...

I'm still going to be working on adopting healthier eating habits, trying to drink better, and getting exercise on a more regular basis; even if I didn't need to lose weight, I'm sure my body would thank me for looking after it better, after all. But I wont be doing regular posts about my weight loss attempts any more, because all they're doing is making me feel bad, and causing me to stress over what people will think if I've had a bad week, gained weight or inches, etc. I mean, I'll probably throw the odd post in about weight loss and such, but only if I feel the need or desire to do so. The thing is, I don't see how that stress would benifit me, and I'm sure it would be better to illiminate the stress if at all possible. After all, the challenge was about getting healthier, and stress isn't healthy, is it?

8 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Big hugs, honey! When it's right for you, you'll know. Sometimes it helps to just have one friend to be accountable with, rather than a whole group and online at that. Hang in there and keep plodding along!!

Rita said...

I don't do well with stress, either, so I understand. You do what you have to do for YOU! You're just fine the way you are . I think the eating healthier is more important, too. Then you are healthier no matter what. *hugs* :):)

Intense Guy said...

I think you can chalk this up to "education" and learning that this wasn't the help you thought it would be and more on -

Somehow you will find something that works for you - and it may be something as simple as getting out and walking Kero until his legs fall off (not literally!)

Hugs. It took courage to post this - and I'm awed by that.

Toriz said...

Jeannie:
Thank you! *Hugs*

Rita:
Yes; that's my thoughts... Though it's taken me a while to get back to the point where I'm ready to try and make things healthier for my body.

Iggy:
Thanks! *Blushes*

I think my legs would fall off before Kero's would; he can be quite energetic when he wants to be... I'm jealous of his energy level! LOL!

AliceKay said...

No, stress is not healthy. Finding that out myself. Do what your heart tells you to do and don't worry about what others might think or do.

Iggy is right...it took courage to post this. I admire your courage and what you accomplish on a daily basis. *hugs*

That corgi :) said...

I think you made the wise decision, Tori, to stay thinking about eating healthy, etc but not obsessessing about it or blogging about it weekly. I know of another lady who has trouble with challenges for those same reasons you mentioned because of the stress it causes. The ultimate goal is to be healthy and to be at the weight you feel comfortable at, no matter what that weight is. So just continue to do what works right for you and your body!

betty

Diandra said...

If the weight-loss blogging is making you feel bad, your decision is right. I am sure you will still do your best, just don't let it go to your head. Good luck with everything!

Toriz said...

AK:
*Blushes* Thank you!

Betty:
*Nods* Thanks!

Diandra:
Thank you! Good luck to you too!