Wednesday, December 07, 2011

The sea before a storm

I said I'd get photos when the sea was rougher still than it was in the last batch of ocean photos I shared. I kept my word, and here are the promised photos:








No, that isn't snow on the beach (unfortunately)... It's the foam from the water.

There was a nasty storm soon after these were taken; not that the weather was all that calm at the time, since the huge wind beast was enthusiastically blowing its icy breath on the land when these were taken, but it got much worse.

Also, this bird was wandering around in the park, so we grabbed a photo:


Iggy's pretty sure it's a "Water Rail" (based on the best match he can find in the bird book I sent him), so that's what I'm calling it.

12 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Waves!! The waves!!! Ohhh that is so nice to see!! Thank you for sharing your photos!

Toriz said...

Nikki:
You're very welcome! :)

That corgi :) said...

That is a cute little bird! Wow, those waves! You could definitely tell there was a storm a-brewing! Thanks for sharing the pictures, Tori! I hope your day has gone well!

betty

Toriz said...

Betty:
I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! :)

Rita said...

The sea is roiling and spitting!! Wow! Were you able to feel the spray from where you stood taking the pictures?

That little bird looks like maybe it walks around quite a bit. Cute one! Maybe you should give it a name? :)

Intense Guy said...

I love watching and listening the ocean hit the shoreline - its like a fire burning in the fireplace or the sounds of waterfalls... I could sit there transfixed.

:) I think you could call the bird Speedy.. he/she looks like they have the legs for it..

Toriz said...

Rita:
*Nods* There was so much spray we got wet even though it wasn't raining; Kelly's glasses ended up fogged up with water.

I hadn't named the bird, but yeah... I could name it.

Iggy:
You and me both; it's why I don't mind waiting down there with Kero while Kelly goes up to the shops to get any bits we need. He always seems to come back too soon though, and all too soon I have to leave the rail where I'd been leaning listening to the sound of the ocean.

Yes, speedy works; Speedy it is then! :)

AliceKay said...

The sea looks a little sea sick to me. :p (looks pretty rough, too)

Speedy! I like it!

Deanna said...

That is one angry ocean! I love hearing the sound of waves breaking on the beach. We've had our first snow and now it can not do that any more!

Cute little bird, whatever it is!

Deanna

AliceKay said...

I heard on the news this morning that hurricane force winds have hit Great Britain. Hoping all is well with you and your family.

Toriz said...

AK:
*Chuckles about the seasick comment*

Yes, we're OK; winds are nasty, but nothing too serious where we are at the moment. Thanks for being concerned though! *Hugs*

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Well, if you get more snow than you want, just send it my way! :)