Hey, are you a writer too? If so, are you writing a series? If you are, here are some tips on how to keep a series fresh. Also, whether you are actually writing a series, or you're writing a stand-alone story, here are some tips on how to hook the reader.
Need to describe water in your story? Take a look at these 58 words to describe bodies of water, and find the word that's right for the water in your tale, whether you're writing about a tiny little freshwater spring, or talking about the vast salty ocean.
You may also want to take a look at this post on two ways to use misdirection as a storyteller. It's especially useful if you write mysteries, but can be useful in other genres too.
Regardless of your genre of choice, are you a self-published author like I am? If so, help me, and other self-published authors, to improve the reputation of indies.
Self-published or not, do you want a way to check your books work in different eBook formats? Or, perhaps, you need a way to send out advanced reader copies in different formats? If so, try using Calibre. You may have heard of it already? It's been around for about ten years now, but it's usually used by readers to convert eBooks in to different formats so they'll work on other eReaders and tablets. It's a useful tool for authors too, as the article I just linked to points out. Plus, it's free, and everybody loves free stuff!
Last, but certainly not least, here are seven ways to make an author smile.
9 comments:
I love the idea of all these words for water. Or anything, for that matter. Really does stretch you.
Jeanie:
Yes, indeed. I thought that was a pretty fun post. Plus, using the different words for things helps with both visualization for the reader, and avoiding repetition of the same exact words over and over again for the writer.
I was reminded of the Eskimos (I don't think we are supposed to call them that any more) many words for snow!!
Too cool!
Iggy:
Yes. I'm not sure what all the words are... Nor even how many there are... But I know they have several words for snow, and think it's cool (no pun intended). I'll have to look it up one of these days, just because it's interesting and I like snow...
Just because I can...
http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/varia/snow.html
Thats quite a list!
Iggy:
It is indeed!
Thanks for sharing all of the great links. I'm starting to really look forward to these posts.
Danielle:
You're very welcome, and I'm glad to hear it!
Post a Comment