Thursday, August 16, 2018

More Medical Mutterings AKA Yesterday's Hospital Trip

So... The dizziness continues to be an issue, and I spent a lot of yesterday (Wednesday August 15th) at the hospital.

I think I spend too much time there... The receptionist at the A and E check-in desk recognized me.

Anyway, they did a chest x-ray, because they like doing that when I come in complaining of dizziness for some reason. Good news is, that was clear again. So my heart and lungs are still as healthy as they can be for an asthmatic. They sometimes do EKGs and other things too, but didn't bother with those this time. Not that I'm complaining.

Here's the bad news though: my iron level is low again.

Not surprised? Me either. What I am surprised about though is what happened next.

A bit of explanation for those who don't know how it works with figuring out the iron level AKA HB (Haemoglobin( level:

There are two ways of doing it. One has a decimal point, the other doesn't. So, for context, on one of them it will list normal levels as between 12.0 and 14.0, while on the other it will list them as between 120 and 140.

Get too much above the maximum range, and you're heading in to the opposite thing to the anemia I have, often resulting in a trip to a hospital or clinic for them to take blood from you. Shame this blood is then useless to give to others. Anyway, head too far below the numbers, and you're dealing with the kind of anemia I have, and your trip to a hospital or clinic will result in you needing iron supplements, and sometimes a blood transfusion.

If you're a woman on your period, or someone who has suffered a small amount of blood loss, your HB level dropping a little is acceptable. But they don't usually like it to drop too much, and will give you iron supplements if it does, or if it shows no sign of putting itself back in the normal range (like with mine, because of how much I bleed).

Last time my levels were checked, they were 11.0 or 110. Considering I was - and still am - on 400mg of iron a day, and the normal dose is 200mg, it's a worrying level, but not surprising due to all the bleeding. I mean, my HB levels being like that with bleeding but no iron supplements would be acceptable. But the levels being like that with all the iron supplements I'm taking is not a good thing, and shows just how bad the bleeding gets.

Here's the thing though: those numbers were worrying, and my HB level has dropped a lot, but they still sent me home.

My HB level is now at 7.9 or 79. Plus, my blood pressure and heart rate have risin a little since last Friday's appointment. This should have resulted in me being admitted in to hospital, and either spending an uncomfortable night having a blood transfusion, or being scheduled for one first thing this morning, all the while having my heart rate and blood pressure checked regularly (it was every couple of hours last time).

But it didn't.

The doctor I saw when I went to A and E yesterday decided that, since it was less than a week since I had my most recent shot, we should give it some time to see if it's going to work properly this time - even though the first one didn't - and if my HB levels will start to rise without medical intervension. So he wants me to get my doctor to arrange for me to have my blood checked again next week (and my blood pressure and heart rate too, while I'm there) so we can see if there's any change. The results of that visit will determine what - if anything - is done this time.

I have never known them to not want to do a blood transfusion when my HB level has been lower than 9.1 or 91. Considering how much it's dropped, and how I'm feeling, I fully expected to be admitted for a transfusion. So did the nurses. But the doctor's decission is the one we have to go with, and he sent me home.

Anyway, if my HB level is lower next week, I'll almost certainly be having a blood transfusion. If it stays the same, I'm not sure what they'll do, but a blood transfusion is highly likely. If it shows signs of rising, they'll just leave things alone, and make sure to check it again a couple of weeks later to make sure it's continuing to do so.

If nothing else, at least there's a record in my notes that I was having issues, and tried to get it sorted out. So, at least I can point that out to the gynecologist if I need to later.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

This is just disturbing me, Tori. I understand on wanting to see if it works and if that's the case, fine. But it sure seems like they should be doing SOMETHING. I hope you won't hesitate to go again if it is as bad. If nothing else, force the issue.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
It's disturbing me too. I still can't believe they actually did what they did. When I heard the numbers, I expected to be told I'd be staying in. When he sent me home, I'm not sure if I was more shocked or annoyed. I'm still both.

I'm calling my doctor today to arrange that blood test for next week. If my surgery can't fit me in, I'm taking myself back to the hospital to have it done again there. If it's still bad next week, and they still try to send me home, I plan to push the issue.

Rita said...

Are you due for another shot to try to stop your periods? Maybe that is what they are hoping--that they will stop and your levels will go up? Just trying to understand what the doctor's thinking was. Regardless you had best stay home and not be trying to go out and about walking when your levels are so low and blood pressure up, etc. Let us know how it sorts out!

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
No. I had my most recent shot last week. I'm not due for another shot for another three weeks. The doctor is hoping the shot will start working properly (even though it doesn't seem to be yet). His theory seems to be that if he gives it more time, it will decide to work and make the bleeding stop. Never mind the fact the first one didn't, and it had been almost a week between when I had the shot and when I went to the hospital. I'd have thought it would make more sense to give me the boost - preferably before I pass out, or the dizziness makes me fall over, and I get hurt in the process - and hope this is the last time it needs doing. If my HB level was just down a little, I could see leaving it and seeing if the shot will work and sort it out. But with how low it is, him sending me home is actually dangerous.

IntenseGuy said...

Hugs. Hopefully soon this will be a thing of the past.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yes. Hopefully soon!