Wednesday, August 07, 2019

#WriterWednesday: August 7th 2019

First of all, Emma Thorpe - the narrator for the audio editions of my Magical Chapters trilogy - was interviewed recently. Her interview went live yesterday, so click here if you want to get to know Emma.
  
In other news: rewriting progress is still incredibly slow. I can't really blame the weather this week, because it's been in the comfortable range with temperatures, and even quite cool for a while at times. I've just got my priorities all messed up again, and keep getting distracted by other things. Some of them I actually did need to put ahead of the writing, but others could have been told to wait. Except I've gotten out of the habit of making my writing a priority, and am still working on fixing that. It doesn't help that I'm in a part of the story where I need to look things up and check I've got things right, and research is one of those rabbit holes for me, since I find it fascinating and get sucked in. Next thing I know, hours have passed, and I've read all kinds of interesting things, but not done any work on the story. *sigh*

Talent is insignificant. I know a lot of talented ruins. Beyond talent lie all the usual words: discipline, love, luck, but most of all, endurance.
~James Baldwin

Anyone who says writing is easy isn’t doing it right.
~Amy Joy

The quotes above - especially the second one - goes for all stages of writing, and the writing life. Writers: we'll never have our lives all together. Let's accept and embrace it.

Anyway, this is what to write about when your brain dries up. Just in case you needed help figuring out what to write about.

Next, here's a great expansion pack post from Story Empire about the stakes characters in your story, and why you need to use the right type of character(s) to make your readers care. Oh, and... Speaking of your characters: check out these tips for avoiding the boring stuff with character descriptions.

Regardless of the kinds of characters you have in your story, make sure you consider threat: what it is, and why your story needs it.

Finally, while earning a living from your writing is never guaranteed, here are some online writing jobs that may make you some money. Writing and publishing books is just one of the ways you can potentially make money with your writing, after all.

4 comments:

Cat Strawberry (The Strawberry Post) said...

Never feel bad about not being able to write. Getting upset about how much we may or may not have written won't help the creative process and it'll just get us more stuck. I like to think of times when I'm not able to do something as time that my mind needed to have a break and do something else. It's not easy sometimes to put ourselves back into writing mode, but it won't get easier by making ourselves feel bad for what we didn't manage to get done in a day <3
Thank you for the link to what other jobs there can be in writing. :) I've been looking for things I can do other than writing a book which for me is something I'm barely starting out doing.

Victoria Zigler said...

Cat:
That's a great way to look at it. :)

You're very welcome... Good luck with finishing your book, and finding other writing related jobs you can do.

Jeanie said...

The Baldwin quote is getting to me today. That is so true -- of just about anything!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
*nods in agreement*