Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Random Ramblings - September 24th 2019 Edition

Just some random stuff from the past few weeks, in whatever order it occurs to me to mention it.

***~~~***

A few weeks ago, we got a new to us microwave. "New to us," because our friends, Lorna and Andy, gave it to us. They were getting a new one, and we needed a new one to be honest, so they offered us their old one. Since their old one is in better condition than ours was, we accepted it. They got rid of their old one, without having to throw away a perfectly good microwave, and we got a better microwave. It was a win-win situation.

Of course, there was the slight complication of it having a keypad that's not tactile, which made it difficult for me to use. Not quite impossible, as my determination proved the morning after we got it, when I managed to do just that. But considering how long it took me to make it work by myself - which I was proud of, but don't want to have to be going through every time I want to heat something up - we decided to put some tactile markings on the buttons so I could find them more easily. We didn't bother with the fancy settings though. Just the numbers, and the "start" and "stop" buttons. It's made it much easier for me, since it no longer takes me longer to find the buttons than I needed it to be on for, and I can be sure of which numbers I'm actually pressing now too, instead of having to just hope I pressed what I thought I did.

Lorna and Andy have been helping us sort out some of the tasks around here we're allowed to go ahead and do ourselves too. So I now have a hand rail in the bathroom. Could have done with it sooner, so it was there before I had my surgery, because it would have been very useful once I got to the point in my recovery when getting in and out of the bath would have actually been an option if I'd had a rail to use. But at least I have one now... A rail to grab when getting in and out of the bath is always a good idea, and we're actually not sure why there wasn't one.

***~~~***

Before you ask: no. We still don't have a working cooker.

Apparently there was some confusion about whether the hob was meant to be being replaced, because it was mentioned that at least one of the rings on it does work. So we pointed out that though there is a ring that technically works, we can't actually use it, because it trips the electric every time we try. Now we're all in agreement this means the hob doesn't work at all - like I've been trying to tell them - so maybe now we'll finally actually get that replaced? Can but hope, right?

In the meantime, they painted the downstairs hallway again.

I'm a bit annoyed they're wasting time doing jobs like that when there are more important things to be doing - like the skylight that still needs to be fixed - and rather confused about why they're painting the downstairs hallway again. But mostly I'm annoyed they failed to warn us they'd be doing so.

They're meant to tell us when anything like that is going to happen. It's courtesy to do so anyhow, but important for me to know, since I need to know to watch out for paint pots, people on ladders, etc. Actually, they're usually really good about warning me, and about telling the people doing work that I can't see, so they should watch out for me, be careful about leaving things behind, and move things out of my way if they can when they see me coming. But this time my only warning came from Lilie and Logan barking when they heard people down there, and Kelly telling me when he went to investigate. Also, between the wet paint and the fact the guys had things literally all over the hallway, I was stuck indoors the whole time they were here, which was most of the week, so I wasn't too happy about that. It made taking Lilie and Logan out difficult too, since Kelly had to carry them down and walk them one at a time, because I couldn't go, and we needed to be sure neither of them got in to the paint.

I was going to say something to the landlords, but decided not to bother. This time. Better to save the time and energy I have for dealing with them to discuss more important things. Like getting the cooker fully functioning, and attempting to get the skylight repaired before Winter arrives. Besides, as I said, they're usually good about remembering to warn me. Not sure why they didn't this time. Well, as long as they don't make a habit of it. If it happens again though, I will be saying something, and I'm not promising it will be polite.

***~~~***

Logan is teething, and had a bad time with one of his lower canine teeth a little over a week ago.

When it became loose enough to do so, it twisted sideways in his mouth, and was causing him some pain.

Luckily he didn't have to deal with it for too long. Although, I suppose it felt like too long for him, and I wish he hadn't had to go through most of the weekend dealing with it refusing to drop out. While he was, it was like having a teething baby, because he was cranky and unsettled. Understandably. But none of us got much sleep during it. We caught up on sleep some this past weekend though, thankfully.

I'm not sure how many more teeth he has to swap for his adult teeth, but I hope no more of them do that. Not because of the lack of sleep thing either - though that part obviously wasn't much fun - but because I felt so bad for him hurting like that, with me unable to do anything for him. If it had still been like it on the Monday morning, I was going to call the vet and ask if there was anything I could do to help him. But it came out Sunday night. Actually, it came out in my hand when I was checking on it. Logan was so happy when it did. Can't say I blame him. I'd have been too. In fact, I was.

He will be going to the vet though. Not because of the tooth... He's fine as regards his teeth now, by the look of it... But because he's due for his next puppy progress appointment. Our vet likes to see them every couple of months during their first year, because of all the growing they do, so they can be on the right flea and worming treatment for their size. Anyway, he's got an appointment for this coming Thursday (September 26th) at 10:45am.

***~~~***

The sores on Kelly's legs came back, despite him taking the vitamin D still (he's got a couple more days before he's done with what they gave him). They keep clearing up, and then coming back again.

The working theory now is that it's a form of eczema. So they've given him some ointment for that. It helps a bit. I mean, it seems to clear the sores up initially anyway. But then they come back, like I said.

He's going to have to talk to the doctor again, I think.

***~~~***

My Mam got me a 3-in-1 blender, so I can use it to make sauces and things, since my smoothie maker's abilities are limited to just smoothies. If we'd thought about it, we'd have just got the blender, since it does smoothies too, but never mind. Besides, the one that's just a smoothie maker has lids for the bottles it makes the smoothies in, so you can make them and take them with you on the go, which the 3 in 1 blender doesn't allow you to do, so there's that.

Anyway, I tried it out on Friday, blending vegetables and such to make soup, which I then cooked in the slow cooker. It worked great, and the soup was good too. If you're interested, it was butternut squash, sweet potato, regular potato, swede, carrot, mushroom, onion, garlic, spinach, sunflower seeds, a little almond milk, and a pinch of pumpkin pie spice mix. I had it with some nice fresh bread.

***~~~***

For those who like to know, September's Makerly kit was a crochet kit to make a bag of some sort.

To be honest, I've never been any good at crochet, though I've tried it several times before. So I really don't think I'll even be attempting this kit. Actually, I've got a couple of kits I don't think I'll be able to do now. I'm thinking I'll give them as Christmas presents to someone else who can make better use of them. Maybe my Nan... She likes trying different crafts.

Speaking of craft kits though: there's more progress on the unicorn. It just needs its sparkly parts painted now. Maybe we will actually finish it this year after all. I was starting to wonder if we would...

***~~~***

When we were in town a couple of weeks ago, we went to poundland - which sounds like an exciting place (at least, it does to me) but is just our version of a dollar store - and checked out their Halloween decorations. They had some cool stuff. I picked up a pumpkin decoration that lights up, because I thought it was cute. I don't have a photo right now, but I'll show you it when I show you my Halloween decoration setup this year... So in about a month.

We also went and checked out a few other stores. Even had a look around a local furniture place to see what they had - since we'll be looking to replace some stuff in the not-too-distant future. I checked all the wardrobes... No entrance to Narnia. Either it's moved, or I had the wrong wardrobes. Yes, I really did check (much to the amusement of a nearby shop assistant). Hey, can't hurt to look, right? *wink*

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Whew. I would have been tempted to have words on the painting if it made a potentially dangerous situation occur. They'd be ever so thrilled if you walked smack into a scaffold or knocked over a pail of paint and they'd be sure to let YOU know about it. It is worrying with winter on the horizon with the skylight repair.

Poor Logan. I forgot about the teething thing! And that soup sounds good!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm worried about the skylight thing with Winter coming too. To be honest, it's because of the focus on trying to get that and the cooker dealt with that I said nothing about the painting. Normally I'd have said something.

I kind of did too... You always forget about things like the teething, until you go through it next time. ;)

Thanks about the soup. It was. Got some in the freezer to have as a quick meal at some point too, since there was some left, even after I had it for two days in a row.

Rita said...

I think you're smart to focus on the skylight and the cooker getting fixed. And--yes--why paint again and not ix other things in the building like the skylight!

Glad the tooth finally came out. I'm sure the checkup will go fine.

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds with a specific smoothie maker and a blender, too. Nice. Soup sounded good.

Have a wonderful Wednesday! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Glad you agree about focussing on the cooker and skylight, and it's not just me wondering why they're wasting time painting when there's more important things to get done.

Yes, I'm sure Logan's checkup will go fine. I do always worry, because they're my furbabies, and I can't help it. But he seems happy and healthy to me now that tooth is out.

I agree about the smoothie and blender thing. I doubt I'd have gotten a smoothie-maker if I'd gotten the blender first, but there are definitely benifits to having both.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I don't blame you for being annoyed about the painting, and I probably would have said something. Something less than polite.

I'm curious about the soup. Did you blend the vegetables up raw, and then cook them in the slow cooker? Or did you cook them in the slow cooker and then blend them up? And did you add any broth or water? I'm always on the lookout for more slow cooker soup recipes.

I'm still struggling to learn crochet, so I feel your pain on that one.

I hope your stove is fixed soon.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
If it happens again, I will be saying something, and it will be something less than polite. ;)

I blended the vegetables up raw, using only a very small amount of almond milk, and then added more almond milk when I put the resulting vegetable mush in the slow cooker, and stirred it together... It already being mushy meant it didn't take much to get it to mix with the milk, and the cooking did the rest. I cooked the soup on low, since I put it on in the morning, and left it there until dinner time. The liquid was the almond milk. I can't give you quantities, since I didn't really measure or weigh anything. Just use enough almond milk to give it the amount of liquid you think it needs, which will vary depending on how much veggie mush you make, and how thick you like your soup. Hope that helps.