Wednesday, May 20, 2020

#Pet #Poem: Avirus

Avirus

~A poem written on behalf of Lilie the West Highland White Terrier.

 

As they passed I gave my wiggle dance.

That usually makes them smile.

    But it didn’t work today

(In fact, it hasn’t for a while).

 

I miss when they’d greet me warmly

(Almost everyone we’d meet)

And how they’d pet me and rub my ears

While telling me I’m sweet.

 

Mummy says it’s avirus

Making everyone act strange.

I don’t know what that means,

But I do not like this change.

 

I don’t like how they glare now

As they quickly pass us by,

And how they won’t even take a moment

To say a friendly, “Hi.”

 

I wish I knew what I had done

To make so many people mad;

Whatever it was I did wrong,

I’m real sorry I was bad.

 

Mummy says it’s not my fault,

Daddy agrees I’m not to blame.

But despite their reassurances

I’m worried all the same.

 

 

© 2020 ~ Victoria "Tori Zigler, on behalf of Lilie the West Highland White Terrier.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Awwww! So hard for them to understand. You captured that perfectly.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Rita. :)

Cat Strawberry said...

Aww, so sad, our poor animals just don't understand why the human world has turned so strange. Beautiful poem <3

Victoria Zigler said...

Cat:
Thanks. :)

Yes, it's really confusing for them, and it breaks my heart seeing Lilie's disappointment and confusion when people who used to greet her with such enthusiasm run away from her instead of toward her.

Plus, now that some people - not everyone, and certainly not nearly as many people as have always done so in the past, but a few anyhow - are starting to acknowledge them again with the easing of lockdown, we're discovering it's affected Logan's socialization due to his young age. I expect it's done the same for other puppies too.