Saturday, July 04, 2009

Weather & Potter

It's finally cooled down some here. We had a few more storms yesterday and today, and now it's POURING with rain, and a lot cooler than it has been for the past couple of weeks.

I've been re-listening to the Harry Potter books while "trying" to get some sleep. It might sound strange that I'm listening to stories when trying to sleep, but I've found - through experimentation - that listening to something does increase the chances of my sleeping. Not by a whole lot, but concentrating on listening to something keeps me from thinking too much, and me thinking too much is not a good thing. Anyway, I figured I'd listen to the Harry Potter books while I wait for the 6th movie (Harry Potter And The half-Blood Prince) to come out on July 15th. I've read/listened to the books loads of times, but I figured I'd listen again before the movie comes out.

We are, of course, going to the pictures to see the new Harry Potter movie. The plan is for Kelly, Wayne and I to go and watch it the day it comes out, while Mam and Dad stay with Kero. Then Mam and Dad will be going to see it some other night on their own. We'd all go together, but the movie is too long for Willow to be left on her own (Nan is staying with Willow), Kero can't be left on his own, and Nan can't manage both dogs on her own. We'd have had Wayne watch Kero, then have him go on his own to see it, but he's going away the day after it comes out, so if we do that then he might miss seeing it. And Mam and Dad (the only other options for puppy-sitting for us) want to go see the movie together, obviously. So the plan we have at the moment seems like the best option, since the nearest cinema only has one showing per day. Besides, I'm sure Wayne is looking forward to having someone go with him to see the movie.

Anyway, I don't really have anything else to say, and this has already taken longer to write than it should have due to my stopping writing it to watch Family Guy, so I'll let this do.

Tori

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

It's rather chilly here tonight. I had on a sweatshirt and jacket and a blanket wrapped around my legs to keep me warm while watching the neighbor's fireworks.

The new Harry Potter movie looks really good. I've seen the movie trailer a few times on TV.

I hope you're able to get some sleep tonight. (thanks for the songs) *hugs*

Wendyburd1 said...

I can't wait for the new Potter and I have only read 2 of the books and that was after seeing the first movie!!

Can't they prescribe you Ambien? Give me Ambien and put on the tv and I am gone. I fall asleep to music, loud tv, talking, as long as their is at least noise I can sleep. I use a fan in my bedroom!!lol

LadyStyx said...

When I have trouble sleeping, I try listening to soft piano music. Always seems to help.

Intense Guy said...

*Hugs*

Hope you get plenty of sleep before the Potter movie. You wouldn't want to fail asleep during the film!

Celticspirit said...

We had a pretty good rain last night and it perked up the lawn and the garden as well.
Sometimes I listen to Hayhouse radio when I can't sleep and it helps me sleep.
The new Harry Potter movie looks like a good one.
We watch Family guy. That show is pretty darn funny.

Deanna said...

I hope you get some sleep, Tori.

Thanks on the tip on when the new Harry Potter movie is coming out. I'm a big fan and like to take our grandsons to see the movies.

It sounds like you have everything planned out just right.

Tori_z said...

AK:
It's not cool enough to need that here just yet, but it's a lot cooler than it has been. It's more of a comfortable sort of heat, if you know what I mean.

I've seen the trailor on TV too, and saw one on the Harry Potter site a while back. I agree, it does look good.

Wendy:
I'm not sure if they could give me that particular thing, though I know they could give me something. But I don't want to take anything. I'd rather have the odd nap when my system decides it's time than spend what could end up being the rest of my life taking something to make me sleep. It's lack of light perception causing the problem. I know it is, because my brother has the same type of sleeping problem, and was told by countless doctors that lack of light perception is the cause. I know it's the truth, because I rarely had sleeping issues before last July. I'd have the odd bad night, and my sleeping pattern didn't match other people's, but for the most part I'd sleep a minimum of 8 hours a night. Then I had my eye out, and now I consider myself lucky to sleep at some point within a 24 hour period. But I don't want to take anything, because it wont fix the problem, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life on pills. I've only just managed to get rid of all the pills and stuff I used to have to take. I'm not about to start taking new ones if I can avoid it.

We have a portable fan that moves between the bedroom and living room depending on where we want it, but even with the window open and the fan on full it's been too hot sometimes.

Styxie:
I do sometimes listen to soft music, but I sometimes find that music makes me think... Remember that music can affect your emotions, so certain tunes can make you think about certain things. If this happens I often find my thoughts running away with me. Sometimes I do listen to soft piano music though. I also try nature sounds (occean sounds, bird song, etc) and panpipes. Those things used to have me out like a light. But nowadays there's no guarantee anything will work.

Iggy:
It's OK... I'll have Wayne and Kelly with me, and between them there's no way I'll fall asleep. Especially if I give Wayne permission to nudge me or something if I look like I might be getting sleepy. LOL!

*Hugs*

Barb:
The radio is one of the things I use... Especially if I don't want to be fussing with putting CDs back on, or putting new CDs in if I'm still awake when they finish. I have several different stations I alternate between: BBC Radio 2 (combination of music and talk shows), BBC Radio 4 (mostly news, comedies and radio plays, but with the odd bit of classical type music thrown in), BBC Radio 7 (radio plays and books being read out), Radio Carmarthenshire (local radio station that's mostly music), and Real Radio (sort of local, though not as local as Radio Carmarthenshire, and the same sort of thing as Radio 2... A combination of music and talk shows).

And, yes, Family Guy is funny. There have been a few of their jokes (and an episode or two) I didn't find even slightly amusing though. But as a general rule I enjoy the show.

Deanna:
You're welcome. Hope you and the kids enjoy the movie. :)