Monday, September 14, 2009

I just can't stay away (Kinda R/WP)

I swear I just can't stay away from hospitals. Even when I don't have appointments I seem to end up at the hospital for one reason or another. This weekend it was because I banged my head. I bang my head a lot, so mostly I just mutter a few choice words, then pay attention to the pain and make sure it goes away after a bit. Plus, I always make sure to stay awake for a couple of hours afterwards... Even if I'd been planning to go to bed right before it happend. Seriously, if I went to A and E (accident and emergency) every time I hit my head I'd have to live there!

Anyway, because I hadn't been feeling too well since Friday I put the lingering headache and sleepyness down to that. That is, until I slept from around 12:30 pm Saturday until around 6:00 am Sunday, then was already getting sleepy about half an hour after getting up. That's not normal for me. I mean, a 4 hour sleep is considered a good night for me, and I'd just slept almost18 hours? Not good! And the fact the headache was worse when I got up as well... Definately not good!

To cut a long story short - since my head is really hurting after spending the past couple of hours listening to Jaws read blog posts to me -I spent most of yesterday at A and E waiting to get my head looked at.

No, no! I don't mean in that way... I don't think I want details of the state of my mind thanks! ;)

Seriously though...

We finally got seen around 11:00 pm, only to find the doctor was much more interested in what the reason for my artificial eyes and lack of eyesight was. He considered that information "interesting" and worth discussing, but announced that I had "just a minor head injury" and that he didn't see "any signs of serious damage or brain damage," so I was to just go home and take pain killers, because it wasn't anything to worry about. Had he said this after doing xrays or scans or something I'd have no issues. But since he literally checked for visible signs of cuts or bruises, asked where it hurt, then closely examined my artificial eyes... I wasn't impressed. I mean, I was under the impression head injuries were to be treated as serious until proven not serious?

If it hadn't been so late, we'd have gone to another hospital not too far from here and got a second opinion. But we'd spent so much of the day at the one that we were reluctant to go through that long wait again just to get the same response. So we did the only thing we could. We came home.

We can only assume it was - or is - a concussion. At any rate, despite the pain still remaining, my night was more normal (normal for me, I mean). If things were worse today my Mam would have taken me to the other hospital, but since there is a small improvement... *Shrugs*... Why put ourselves through that again when it can be avoided?

So, today I'm on pain killers and not allowed to go anywhere. I had to cancel my mobility lesson, but she wasn't 100% sure she could make it because of a meeting anyway. And there's no walkies with his Mami for Kero. But other than that it's just a typical Monday. Yep! Life goes on... Splitting headache or not! I wish the dogs (Kero and the dogs upstairs) would shut up... It's killing my head!

Hope you had a better weekend than I did!

Tori

11 comments:

AliceKay said...

Wow, Tori. I would've thought they would have done some kind of imaging test on your head. Head injuries are nothing to mess with. You know that or else you wouldn't have gone to be checked out to begin with. I can't understand some doctors out there. If you had been in the hospital where I go to, you would have had some testing to check things out more thoroughly.

I hope the headache goes away so you can feel like yourself again soon. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

Perhaps you need to wear a helmet too - maybe not all the time - but maybe put it on just before you are going to bump your head?

Hugs. I hope you feel better soon and can get back to your lessons and walks.

Deanna said...

Hugs Tori. That really sucks. That Dr. should have done a scan - especially since you bump your head a lot and pay attention to the signs. I hope the headache is gone as I write this. (Puts a muzzle on Kero and the upstairs dog - just for now...)

MarmiteToasty said...

((((ToriZ)))) a padded cell for you my girl :).... dam and bugger, how can they tell your normal if they cant shine that dam bright light into you eyes and check your pupils????

hugs and much love...... AND NO SHOUTING if you have a headache..

x

Tori_z said...

Thanks all. :)

AK:
That should have been done here too. But apparently the doctor was too busy studying me to remember that.

Iggy:
Problem with that is... How would I know when to put it on? I mean, if I knew when I was about to bang my head I'd be able to avoid doing so, right?

Deanna:
The headache's not so bad now... And the dogs have worn themselves out. ;)

Toasty:
Knowing me I'd still manage to find a way to get some kind of bruise or cut or something... Even in a padded cell. ;)

ChicagoLady said...

Hope you're feeling all better soon!

LadyStyx said...

Oh man. You'd think that since there's no eyes to flash a light in and gauge a response, they'd have made a better attempt at seeing what all was going on. Late or not, you shoulda gone for the second opinion.

Wendyburd1 said...

It's gotta at least be a concussion!!

Intense Guy said...

Hope you feel better today.

Tori_z said...

Chicago:
Thanks!

Styxie:
We were worried about Mam. She'd been on the go all day, and was getting tired, and it was her who needed to do the driving. Otherwise we would have gone. Besides, it was more the fact we were worried we'd get the same response that made us reluctant.

Wendy:
*Nods*


Iggy:
Doing a bit better, thanks. :)

Jessica♥ said...

oh my goodness! haha. This reminds me of the incident where I climbed on top of a counter and banged my head over the corner of a cabinet. It bled like crazy but I didn't go to the hospital.