Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rock pools/tidal pools and sea creatures

Pendine being one of those "proper beaches" with rock pools - or, "tidal pools" as some call them - we, of course, had to take some time to explore those. I got a lot closer to some of the things in those rock pools than I would have liked to, but I did enjoy investigating the rock pools.

Feeling the different textures of the sea weed, and the limpet covered rocks...



A little bit of information for you here... I MOST DEFINATELY DO NOT like the feel of sea enenimies! They feel sort of like half set jelly, and I DID NOT like it one bit! There were some on one of the rocks I was examining, and I decided I didn't like that rock any more after touching the sea enenimies.

Anyway...

We were also investigating shells... Like this "Razor shell"...



And discovering the other items that get washed up... Like this crab claw...



And this whole crab...



(Yes, it was dead... I wouldn't have held it otherwise).

Another one...



Unfortunately several jellyfish were also dead in the sand...



They get left behind when the tide goes out, and can't always survive.



I didn't feel one of them though, because they can still sting you after they die, and none of us were eager for me to get stung.



As you can see from this next photo, even finding some water is no guarantee of survival for a jelly fish.



The rock pools were interesting though... Despite all the dead jelly fish... And had all kinds of things in them.



Like these little minows...



(Another thing I didn't like the feel of).

As well as all kinds of other little sea creatures, like winkles, cockles and shrimp. Plus all of the different kinds of sea weed. I know we spotted at least three different kinds of that. Not to mention all the tiny little sea creatures that you need a very powerful microscope to see.

Tori

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

I was thinking...how is she holding that crab if it's alive?? Then you answered me. LOL

Loved the pics. It's fun finding things on the beach and in tidal pools. We've had several starfish before and have collected sand dollars from our trips to Wildwood, NJ. I still have a couple of sand dollars out in a cup on a shelf in the back room...sitting in some sand along with some other shells picked up along the beach.

Intense Guy said...

I don't mind holding live crabs. There is a special technique to it. I'm with you though, no touchy-feely with the jelly fishes.

Seaweed can feel pretty cool - and some of them have little float bubbles that you can pop. Of course some of it can smell pretty rank when its half dried out in a hot sun!

You actually touched the minnows? Thats kind of cool even if they didn't feel so neat. :) I just love tidal pools - I could play around in, on, under one all day long - or at least until the tide came back in!

Dorkys Ramos said...

Oh I don't think I could hold a crab dead or alive (the crab, not me). Just those pictures turned me into a squirmy little girly girl.

You're a brave one - to me anyway!

Tori_z said...

AK:
Believe me, I wouldn't have been holding that crab if it wasn't dead. LOL!


Iggy:
You'll have to come for a visit and we'll take you to this beach... You can spend hours and hours on it without having to look in the same rock pool. :)


Yeah, Dad gave me the oppertunity to touch basically everything but the jellyfish, so that included minows. I'm hoping it doesn't next time though. ;)

Most of the seaweed was still a bit damp, so there wasn't much of a smell issue. Some of it was kinda dry though. And I did see those little air pocket things.

Dorky:
Touching or holding things didn't bother me with most things... But then, I'm not really a girly girl. I'm a tomboy really. I'd much rather be knee deep in mud or up to my elbows in rock pools than wearing pretty dresses at coffee mornings or whatever.

LadyStyx said...

Nature's poppy paper?

Tori_z said...

LOL! Yep, I think so, Styxie! :)