Monday, August 29, 2011

The Twelve Tasks of Asterix

Les douze travaux d'Astérix (original title)

"When Julius Cesar fears, that he will probably never be able to defeat the gaulic village of Asterix and his friends, he has the idea of offering the Gauls a deal: if they are able to solve twelve tasks that he selected, he will hand over the Roman empire to them. If not, they have to submit."

(Above taken from here).

Since the IMDB clips for the Asterix movies are usually in French (the original language for the movies and books) and this means most of you are unable to understand them, I looked for an English one for this movie. I had no luck, but I found a teaser for "Asterix In Britain" - which I reviewed at some point earlier this year - so you can find it here (yes, it is in English) if anyone is interested in watching it.

Anyway, I love the Asterix movies... They're really funny! I am glad the versions I've been watching (DVDs belonging to my Dad) are translated in to English though. I don't think my French is good enough to follow a whole movie... My French language skills are quite limited.

5 comments:

AliceKay said...

No, I don't speak French so those wouldn't help me at all. I did have to take French class in high school tho...one day a week for nine weeks...but I don't remember much of it. LOL I'm glad the movies you've been watching have been translated to English. :)

Toriz said...

AK:
So am I. Like I've already said, my French skills are limited, and I don't think I could manage an entire movie that I had to translate myself. I'm sure I'd miss parts, fail to properly translate parts, etc!

Rita said...

I took Spanish and don't remember much of it at all--a few colors and numbers and good morning, stuff like that. Struggled terribly with it in the first place. Found out I have no knack whatsoever for foreign languages. Subtitles are my friend. ;)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Good thing I put the link in the post for the English version then! :)

I know a couple of Spanish words... Learned them from watching Dora The Explorer. LOL! And I know a few German words that I learned from a lodger my Nan had (don't worry, all polite ones). I did know a couple of Italian and Greek words (learned them from the wife of an online friend in return for teaching her some Welsh words), but I'm not sure I even remember those any more. I'm not too bad with languages. French is easier than most other European languages for me though, because it's so close to Welsh (which I'm fluent in... Up to a point anyway... Since I learned it alongside English up until I was 11). When I was 4 I spoke better Welsh than English. It's only the other way around now because my English lessons continued after the age of 11, my Welsh lessons did not (well, they sort of did, but it was basic stuff I'd learned at the age of 2 or 3, so I used to help the teacher teach the other kids). Anyway, Welsh and French are very similar, which is why it's the one that's stuck best with me.

Welsh is also to blame for my lack of spelling skills quite often in English. Welsh is spelled as it sounds if you sound out the letters in the words, English often isn't, so, if I'm not sure I spell the word as it sounds. If it's wrong... Well, at least if I spelled it as it sounds then people should be able to figure it out. That's my opinion, anyway. ;)

Toriz said...

P.S. Before anyone asks, no, my parents aren't fluent in Welsh. I learned Welsh from family friends and people around me (nobody knows why I picked Welsh up better) and the Welsh was encouraged a lot when I started school (which happens around the age of 4 here) since it was the main language spoken in the school I went to.