First: here's a post with some suggestions for how to decide your next read, just in case you need help with that.
Anyway, as with the previous posts like this one, if you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question.
Don't forget: the format I've reviewed may not be the format I read. Also, please remember that I read across multiple genres and age ranges, so you should always check if a book is suitable for the intended reader, especially when children are involved. Sometimes reading the book's description on its Goodreads page will be enough for this, but other times you may need to check elsewhere to figure out the genre and/or recommended reading level.
OK... On to the reviews!
Red Rising by Pierce BrownMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
It's like the Hunger Games in space! The main character has attitude and anger management issues, but that - strangely - is part of his appeal. The plot moved a bit slower than I thought it should at times, but not enough to spoil the book for me, since the story concept is an interesting enough one to have held my attention even during those scenes. Also, the reaper song is beautiful and haunting; such a touching song!
Golden Son by Pierce BrownMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
WOW! Powerful storytelling, and that ending... Well, let's just say I'm extremely glad I had book three ready to start immediately, because if I hadn't been able to do that I'd have been screaming for book three right about now. I don't usually like to give the full five stars to a book that leaves me hanging like that, but this one was so fantastic that I really can't give it less.
Morning Star by Pierce BrownMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was one of those books that will have you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions throughout; one moment I was celebrating right along with the characters, and the next I was crying or raging beside them instead. Also, what an awesome ending!
Iron Gold by Pierce BrownMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
While I did really enjoy this book, there were two issues that stopped me loving it as much as the previous books in this series. One was the way a blind character was not only made to seem utterly helpless just because of his lack of sight, but also viewed as someone who needed to be "fixed" even by his own family. The other was the multiple cliffhanger situations left unresolved at the end of the book, and my dislike of having things left like they were for several of the characters. I loved everything else about this book though, and look forward to when I can find out what happens next.
Year of the Celt: Imbolc by Rob GodfreyMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a book with a lot of potential, which it unfortunately didn't reach. The author claims to have done a lot of research, which is obvious in places, while in others there are historical inaccuracies that make me think he should have done more. The characters are well-rounded, but their mannerisms and way of thinking are too modern for the story. The main plot is interesting, but there are places where it drags, and some of the other events are based around modern thinking so don't make sense in a historical story like this one. Also, the cliff-hanger ending was annoying. I'm aware this is the first in a series, but that's not the point, especially given the fact the next book doesn't seem to have been published yet, despite this one having now been out for almost six years (or, if it has, I can't find it). A bit of extra research and editing could have made this a much more enjoyable read. I hope – if they ever get published – the other books in the series will benefit from those things.
Zombie Nights by Tom LichtenbergMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I was a bit disappointed by the lack of emotion and ease of acceptance by those who encountered the zombie. Other than that, this was a great read, especially if you like the kind of zombie book where the zombies are more than just mindless creatures stumbling around looking for victims.
The Girl in the Trees by Tom LichtenbergMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I was really enjoying this story, and would have given it a higher rating, but the ending has no clear resolution, so I'm now left feeling like I just read the introduction to something longer, with no idea when - or even if - the rest of the story will be available.
The White-Hole Situation by Tom LichtenbergMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
An interesting and well-written story.
Tiddlywink the Mouse by Tom LichtenbergMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a cute collection of imaginative stories. I wish some of them had been expanded a bit, but they were otherwise great.
How My Brain Ended Up Inside This Box by Tom LichtenbergMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
An interesting story, which will potentially appeal to anyone wondering about how perception influences our knowledge of what's real and what's not, and how we could tell if we weren't the "real" people we appear to be.
The Homeless Birds by Gita V. ReddyMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was a sweet and beautifully written story, which was a delight to read.
the fern and the cross by Barbara G. TarnMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was an excellent read, with an interesting plot, and some great characters.
***~~~***
We're half way through the year, so I thought I'd take a look at how I'm doing with my reading goals:
- I've got two more letters to complete for my A-Z challenge. I know which books I plan to use for them. It's just a matter of getting around to reading those particular books, which I hope to do in the next couple of months.
- I've read 57 of the 150 books I pledged to read this year. I should really have read 75 by now. This means I'm 18 books behind schedule. However, I'm not concerned, since I have another six months to go, and have already caught up by a few books (I was 23 books behind schedule in early June).
If you're doing any reading challenges - such as the Goodreads reading challenge - I'd love to know how you're getting on. Let me know in the comments.
2 comments:
I'm behind on my reading goal, too. I'm kind of embarrassed to say this, but I only set my goal at 30 books for the year, and I'm still about three books behind. I've been home recovering from surgery, so have been reading a little more, though not as much as I expected to.
Good luck reaching your goal!
Danielle:
Thanks!
There's no reason to be embarrassed about it. 30 is a good number, and you can't help if things that are higher priority get in the way. It happens. Good luck with your reading goal too!
Post a Comment