Thursday, July 25, 2019

#AmReading + #AmWatching - July 25th 2019 #Reviews

There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away…
~Emily Dickinson

It's time to take a look at what I've been reading and watching during this past week.

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Don't forget: I read and watch things across multiple genres, as well as for different age ranges, so you should always check before reading or viewing, to make certain something is suitable for the intended audience, especially when children are involved.

OK...

Here's what I read this week:

Deliverance (Hell Divers, #3)Deliverance by Nicholas Sansbury Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was an excellent and action-packed read. There are some great characters in this series, and it's great to see their relationships evolving. The bond between X and his dog, Miles, is one of my favourite parts about this book... I love that his dog means so much to him that he puts the dog's survival above even his own.

Wolves (Hell Divers, #4)Wolves by Nicholas Sansbury Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is an excellent continuation of the series, which had me up past my bed time to finish it. It's probably a good thing I didn't have the next book ready to go, or I might have ended up staying up even later than I already had to start reading it. Like the rest of the series, it's action-packed, and will hold your attention from start to finish. Plus, the worldbuilding and character development is wonderful.

As for what I've been watching:

There was a show about the moon landing on one of the Discovery channels over the weekend. I couldn't watch it when it was actually on, because it was on Saturday evening, around the time we take Lilie and Logan for their evening walk, and then I take them in to the bedroom so Joshua and Mollie can get some peace. But we made use of the record feature we rarely bother to use on the Sky box, and I watched it on Sunday instead. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it was one of the many things done to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. Anyway, it was interesting. Although, not as good as one I saw a few years ago, since this one only seemed to be the highlights of the various Apollo missions, where as the one I saw before was more detailed, and gave a better look at the scientific aspect of things, rather than just focussing on the, "Hey, look what we did... We went to the moon," aspect, if you know what I mean. I'm the kind of person who likes the science stuff, and I'd have liked to see more of it. Still, there was only so much they could show when trying to mention everything leading up to the moon landing in one episode of something, so I can't say I was surprised it seemed more like just a recap of the highlights.

2 comments:

Rita said...

A lot of us at the time didn't know much about the science. Just were glued to the set when it happened. ;)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I don't doubt that.