Wednesday, July 31, 2019

#WriterWednesday - July 31st 2019

I was hoping by now I'd have the next phase of my story completed, and be able to tell you I'm done with the rewrites. Except extremely hot weather happened. I struggle when it gets much past 20 degrees C, and it hit 30 degrees C. So... Yeah... I took naps instead of working on the stuff I had been when Lilie and Logan were napping, because I couldn't focus anyhow. Then, when it finally cooled down some, I had a huge stack of eMails waiting for my attention, which is what I've been focussing on during the past couple of days. So, though I did make a little progress with my rewrites over the two weeks since I last did one of these kind of writer Wednesday posts, it's not as much as I'd hoped. Still, any progress is good progress. At least I did talk to one of the cover artists I use, and made plans for when he'll be working on the cover. That counts as progress too, right? Now I just need to finish the story...

Anyway, since I had a lot of eMails to go through, I ended up with quite a lot of links to share. So, let's see what I've got for you today, shall we?

First of all, did you know, your favourite book might determine the kinds of stories you're destined to write? Yes, really. At the very least, they'll help you figure out the elements of a story that will capture and hold your interest the best, which is a step in the right direction.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't look elsewhere for inspiration. After all, "write what you know" is bad writing advice if you take it literally.

On a similar note: here's a word about research, you might want to bear in mind.

Wherever your inspiration and information comes from, this is why a writer should never hold back, and why you shouldn't let fear of people reading your work and seeing you as you really are stop you writing what you want/need to.

Your words will find a way, even if it's not the way you planned, and regardless of when you're at your most creative.

Yes. You will finish that thing. So don't let doubt stop you. Just write one word, and then another word, and then another, and pretty soon you'll have a finished story to show for it.

OK, so maybe you feel like you need a writing break? Fine. Just bear in mind this reason some writers don't like taking breaks from writing, and be careful with shiny new ideas.

So... What if you stop writing and never start again? Well, how you feel about that is up to you. However, if you're considering quitting writing - which I hope you aren't, but it's totally up to you, like I said - please, please, please, don't quit writing because someone says you should. If it's what you really want to do. Fine. But don't let others bully you in to quitting, especially if writing is something that brings you pleasure. If you want to keep writing, protect your writing dream. But whether you write or not should be your choice. Don't let anyone take that choice away from you. I mean, why do people even do that anyway? why do some readers give writers such harsh feedback? And why do people think writing is something that's a waste of time, so push people to quit doing it? Whatever their reasons, don't let them get to you!

I'm going to assume you're going to keep writing. Whatever it takes, right? Just be careful of burnout, and remember that burnout doesn't always feel the way it's 'supposed' to feel, so make sure to practice regular self care. there's so little time, so use yours wisely, and make memories you'll be glad to look back on.

Next, here's a post for those times when you're feeling motivated to write, but too exhausted to create, which is something I've dealt with a lot - especially last year. Only you know if you should just write anyway, if you just need a nap, or if you have other things in your life you need to focus on more than your writing right now. Just bear in mind that putting your writing on hold does not make you weak!

If you still need them, here are some tips for balancing writing with life.

While you're figuring out how to do that, here's a post on how to use a paragraph, another on using similes and metaphors, and one discussing the use of the words that and which, because we could all do with brushing up on basic writing rules sometimes.

Next, here's how to add a time jump to your story, in case you need some tips on doing that.

Also, in case either of these apply for your story, here are some tips to writing factions in fiction, and tips to writing single father characters.

No matter who - or what - is in your story, you might want to check out these tips on avoiding first chapter blunders.

Also, this is why every story needs a sprinkling of fear, and how to make sure there's fear in yours.

Finally, don't forget: today is the last day of the Smashwords Summer/Winter sale. So don't forget to go to my Smashwords author page to find my books, and grab them at 25% off, in whichever format works best for your prefered method of reading eBooks, including mobi for Kindle, and a html format that works with web browsers.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

As always, interesting sounding links. And I can relate. I'm behind on my rewrites, too.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Glad you liked the link selection again, and that it's not just me with the rewrites. ;)