Thursday, December 05, 2019

#AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - #Reviews For December 5th 2019

Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.
~Frederick Douglas

Welcome to this week's weekly media shares and reviews post!

*Disclaimer: no matter what's being reviewed, all opinions in this post are entirely my own, and I reserve the right to have them, regardless of who may or may not share them. Feel free to express your own in the comments, but please respect my right - and the rights of other commenters - to have opinions that might differ from yours, and to express those opinions too.

Also, please remember that I read/watch/listen to things in a variety of genres, and for all ages, so you should make sure you check that the book/movie/show/song is suitable for the intended audience before reading/watching/listening to it, especially if children are involved. I take no responsibility for anything which may happen as a result of failing to do so.

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Unless otherwise stated, all music videos are via YouTube.


OK, so... Let's see what I've been reading, watching, and listening to, shall we?

This week I read...

Win (The Atlantis Grail, #3)Win by Vera Nazarian
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Normally, when a book ends on a cliffhanger like this one, I can't bring myself to give it the full five stars. But this one... The worldbuilding, the plot twists, the action, the characters... They were all so well done. Yes, Gwen's a bit annoying and naive at times, but Aeson's very existance makes up for any annoying moments we have to endure with Gwen, because... WOW! So, because Aeson has stolen my heart, I'm rounding up to the full five stars, despite the cliffhanger ending. Now I need book four, like now!

Through the NethergateThrough the Nethergate by Roberta Eaton Cheadle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a thrilling tale, which combines fabulous paranormal elements with fascinating historical facts. The first part of the book feels a little more like a collection of themed short stories than the start of a novel, but it all comes together nicely after a while, at which point it's much easier to become engrossed in the tale.

As for what I've been watching this week...

I watched one DVD during the past week: the second disk of "The Big Bang Theory" season 4. I also watched "The Muppets' Christmas Carol" - one of the holiday movies I love best - and "Miracle On 34th Street" (the 1947 version) on Sky Cinema Christmas a couple of days ago.

Last, but not least, this week I've been listening to...

Christmas music! I mean, we're now a few days in to December, so I've started listening to mostly Christmas music, with only the odd other tune thrown in from time to time. After all, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...


P.S. I hear "Frozen 2" made the top spot in this week's top ten movies, and made more in the box office on its own than all the rest of the movies in the top ten put together. Just thought I'd mention that fact, in case anyone's interested.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

"Forever free." I couldn't agree more!

I'm listening to Christmas music almost non-stop (unless I'm listening to impeachment hearings.) The music really makes me happy!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yes, it's a great quote, isn't it?

Oh, yeah... The Christmas music is definitely very welcome this year!