I've done several of these tag things in the past, but I saw this one over on Cat's blog a couple of weeks ago, and it looks slightly different to all the ones I remember having done. So, I figured I'd play along, because I could, and because I enjoy these things enough that I think I may have a tag addiction or something. Anyway, here are the questions, along with my answers. Feel free to play along too. Just let me know if you do, so I can read your answers as well.
1. Reading on the bed or the couch?
To be honest, either would work for me. I'll also sometimes read in other places, such as various waiting rooms, the kitchen, etc. But as a general rule it's usually the bed I'm on during my reading time.
2. Male or female main character?
I don't really care. Whether the character is believable and relatable matters more than their gender.
3. Sweet or salty snacks while Reading?
Most of the time neither, since I mostly don't snack while eating. Although I do always have a drink to hand, which nine times out of ten will be a cup of tea (either regular or herbal, depending on my mood) though sometimes might be hot chocolate, water, fruit juice, or pop (soda). I do sometimes have a snack while reading though, or I'll take my book with me to carry on enjoying it while I go grab some toast (especially if I'm really in to it, and reluctant to put it down). If I do have something that would actually be considered a snack, whether it's something sweet or not will depend how I'm feeling. Mostly if I'm snacking while eating it will be nuts or dried fruit I pick, though I do admit cakes and biscuits sometimes make an appearance. I was enjoying some mince pies while reading the other day, for example.
4. Trilogies or quartets?
I don't mind how many books are in a series, or even whether it's a series or not. In my opinion, a story takes as many words to tell as it does, and however many books that translates in to is the right number for that particular story.
5. Reading at night or in the morning?
I have no ojections to either, but I do most of my reading in the evening, or late at night.
6. First or third POV?
I'll read and enjoy either, and think the right one is whichever is right for the story. Like with the number of words that's right for it, which point of view is best for a story will depend on the story itself.
7. Libraries or bookshelves?
My own bookshelves. I think libraries are great, and have made use of them in the past. I especially think it's fantastic that they offer free access to books for people who may otherwise miss out on the joy of reading. But a combination of not liking to have to give the book back, and not liking how some people treat the books, makes me reluctant to make use of them. Besides, I have loads of books I own that I have yet to read anyhow.
8. Books that make you laugh or cry?
Books that do either are a fantastic thing, because it means the author has done his or her job well. I mean, when a reader feels the emotions enough to laugh out loud, or cry, an author has obviously done an excellent job of showing the characters' emotions, which is a very good thing. Though I do admit to prefering to be crying more happy tears than sad ones in the longrun. Doesn't everyone?
9. Black or white book cover?
It doesn't make any difference to me, since I can't see the cover anyhow. Having said that, when I still had sight, I'd have prefered something bright and colourful. It would have caught my attention better, and been much more appealing. So, whether black or white would work best would depend on the rest of the colours involved in the cover, and which one complimented them best.
10. Character driven or plot driven?
Like with point of view, it depends what works best for the story. You need both things to make a story, but it depends on the story you're trying to tell, and how you're trying to tell it, to which is most important.
4 comments:
Great post and I love your answers :)
I think we both feel the same way about the way people treat books from libraries. I also like crying happy tears. You want a book to leave you feeling good for having read it rather than bad, I'm not sure who would prefer sad tears? Lol
I agree with most of your answers! We think a lot alike, I guess--LOL! ;) Fun to read.
Cat:
Glad you enjoyed reading my answers. :)
Yeah, we definitely feel the same way about how people treat library books. It's disgraceful, and I'm not just saying that as a writer who knows how much work goes in to writing one, but also as someone who doesn't understand why people show so little respect for something that's someone else's property when it's in their care. Even if people don't respect the hard work that goes in to the writing, you'd think the fact the books didn't belong to them should be enough to make them take better care of them at least.
Also, I agree about the tears... Being glad the book was well written enough to have you that emotionally invested is one thing, but actually wanting to be made to cry sad tears? Well... It takes all sorts, I suppose... *shrugs*
Rita:
Glad you enjoyed reading my answers. Yeah, I think we think a lot alike with many things. :)
Post a Comment