Thursday, November 12, 2020

#AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - Media Shares And #Reviews 12-11-20

A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.
~Madeleine L’Engle

    

*~* 

    
Welcome to this week's weekly media shares and reviews post!
    

    
*Disclaimer: no matter what's being reviewed, all opinions in this post are entirely my own, and I reserve the right to have them, regardless of who may or may not share them. Feel free to express your own in the comments, but please respect my right - and the rights of other commenters - to have opinions that might differ from yours, and to express those opinions too.
    
Also, please remember that I read/watch/listen to things in a variety of genres, and for all ages, so you should make sure you check that the book/movie/show/song is suitable for the intended audience before reading/watching/listening to it, especially if children are involved. I take no responsibility for anything which may happen as a result of failing to do so.
    

    
OK. Let's see what I've been reading, watching, and listening to, and which song I'm going to share this week, shall we? After all, that's the point of this post, and why you're here today, right? 

    

*~*
    

  • Reading:

This week I read five books, all by the same author.  Yes, I said five.  Well, they were good books, and relatively short, so... *shrugs* Anyway, here's what I read, along with my book reviews. 

    

Future Earth Chronicles Shorts
by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: five out of five stars

This is a wonderful collection of short stories, which do an excellent job of illustrating how humans will always find a way, and are a delight to read. 

    

    

Adventure Song (Future Earth Chronicles Book 6)
by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: five out of five stars

This was an exciting addition to this series, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I just love the characters and worldbuilding of this series, and I’m glad we are getting to explore more of this world. 

    

    

Sun Kissed (Future Earth Chronicles Book 7)
by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: five out of five stars

Once again this is an excellent addition to the series. It’s fun to read about how different people might have adapted to an apocalypse, and meet all sorts of different types of characters. I really enjoyed the bonus vampires through the centuries story that came at the end of this book too. 

    

    

Asian Ways (Future Earth Chronicles Book 8)
by Barbara G. Tarn
My rating: five out of five stars

I loved exploring so many places with Arjun and company, and liked how this particular story ended a lot, especially the way certain character relationships developed. I've said it before - and likely will again - but this is an excellent addition to the series. 

    

    

Wind Rider (Future Earth Chronicles Book 9)
by Barbara G. Tarn
 My rating: five out of five stars

I know I often say how a book is a great addition to its series, but... I was so swept up in this one that I read it in one sitting, and it only occurred to me that I was doing so - and several hours had passed without me noticing - when I got to the end of the book, and was reading the interesting author notes at the end. If that's not the sign of an excellent book that makes a great addition to the series it's a part of, I don't know what is. 

        
*~*
    

  • Watching:

This week I started watching "The Mandalorian" on Disney+.  I've watched all of season 1, and am really enjoying it, but I'm not loving it as much as most people seem to, despite the fact it's got everything Star Wars should have, plus Baby Yoda.  But I'm not blown away by how amazing it is.  I'm not sure if it's just that I'd built my expectations up too high based on what others were saying - that's certainly possible, though I always try not to go in to anything I'm watching or reading with high expectations (admittedly not always successfully) - or if it's something else.  It could even be the fact it focusses more on the bounty hunters and guns than the jedi and spaceship aspects of Star Wars, and that side of it doesn't appeal to me quite as much.  Either way, though I'm really enjoying watching it, I don't think it's the best Star Wars thing ever... Though it's worth watching just for Baby Yoda, even if for no other reason.  Anyway, having said that, I do recommend it to any Star Wars fan, and I give this show four out of five stars.
    

*~* 

    

  • Listening:

This week I've been listening to more country and 80s music.  However, I've decided we all need something cheerful to listen to, so I'm going to start sharing Christmas music now Halloween is over, whether people think it's too early to start thinking about Christmas or not.  Hey, it is six weeks to Christmas Eve today, after all.  With that in mind - and with the excuse the family recently mentioned it on their Facebook page to justify my choice - here's Claire Crosby reminding you to have yourself a merry little Christmas. 

     

 


4 comments:

robbiesinspiration said...

I can't believe it is only six weeks until Christmas. Isn't that wonderful. I have started my gingerbread Christmas project.

Victoria Zigler said...

Robbie:
Yes, it is... Have fun with this year's gingerbread project. :)

Rita said...

I've heard a lot of positives about Mandalorian, too, but haven't seen it. Baby Yodi can't help but be a draw--LOL!

Six weeks till Christmas Eve!! OMGosh! This has been such a weird year. I am shocked at how fast it has gone under the circumstances.

That little Claire has such a sweet voice. I have been leaning toward Christmas thoughts every since we had snow so many times in October. LOL!

Hoping to hear some good moving news soon! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes, like I said, it's worth watching just for Baby Yoda. ;)

My thoughts always turn to Christmas once Halloween is over (with the odd sneaky Christmas thought slipping in among the Halloween fun) but I don't usually start being Christmasy on my blog until after my birthday.

I agree: Claire's got a beautiful voice. I've been following her channel since around when she turned five, and she just turned eight. She's a sweetheart and sings beautifully. Her little brother's showing signs of musical talent too, but is too shy to show much when the camera is rolling.

Hopefully soon... Keep sending those positive moving thoughts.