Friday, November 13, 2020

The Birthday #Book Tag - #AmReading

Since it's my birthday today, I had to do this one. It's another tag I found during my hunt for new ones to play earlier this year, which I found on the Sassy Geek blog, where she says she doesn't know who originally started it. But at least you now know where I found it.  A lot of the tags I've done this year have come from her.
      
Anyway, as I always say, I'm not tagging anyone, but if you want to play along, feel free to do so, either in the comments or on your own blog. I'd love to see your answers. For now though, here are the questions, along with my own answers:
      
1. Count Your Birthday Along Your Bookshelf and Then Subtract Your Birth Month
     
Ah, we've hit a snag already. You see, right now my books aren't on shelves, because of the need to pack to move. So this isn't going to be from all my books. Having said that though, the 2nd book on my audio book shelves should be "The Diary Of A Killer Cat" by Anne Fine, if I remember correctly.  Unless I'm missing some that are on my Kindle that would come before it. 

    

2. If You Could Spend Your Birthday With Any Fictional Character Who Would It Be and Why?
      
OK, confession time. You see, I don't often go down this route, but it's the first thing that came to mind, so I'm going with it. My answer is Aeson Kassiope from Vera Nazarian's "Atlantis Grail" series, just for the excuse to spend some time with him, because... WOW! Aeson is one of those characters that really makes me wish I was the female main character in the book, because I'm so jealous of Gwen. It's rare for me to be crushing on a fictional character this hard, but if Aeson was real, and I wasn't married...
      
*clears throat*
      
Mind you, James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser - more commonly just called "Jamie" - from Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series is another option. I would pick Aeson over him - sorry, Jamie - but it's a close one, and I am as jealous of Jamie's Claire as I am of Aeson's Gwen. But, hey, if Aeson's not available, and Jamie is...
      
OK, so... Moving on...
      
3. Find A Book That Takes Place In The Season You Were Born In
     
Erm... OK. So do you consider November to be Autumn or Winter? The thing is, some people consider it to be part of Winter, while many people insist Winter doesn't start until the solstice, which isn't until December.
      
You know what? Never mind, let's just go with "The Scorpio Races" by Maggie Stiefvater, since the whole plot of that one revolves around an event that takes place on November 1st every year, so the main event takes place in my birth month.
      
4. Find A Book That Is The Color of Your Birthstone
     
This one's tricky too. The thing is, the main birth stone for November is topaz, and topaz can come in a variety of colours including - but not limited to - clear, blue, yellow, and pink. Most people think of blue when thinking of a topaz though, so I'm going to use that colour for simplicity's sake.
      
Anyway, Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins has blue involved in the cover. At least, it's on the list of books with blue on their covers I found on Goodreads when I looked up books with blue on the cover, and since it's one I've read, I figured I'd go with that one.
      
5. Pick A Book Set In A Time Period, World, or Country You Would Like To Have Been Born In
       
If you want to go with a book based on a real period of history, my choice is "The Valley Of Horses" (and the rest of the "Earth's Children" series) by Jean M. Auel. Why would I like to have been born way back then? Because, though they certainly didn't have all the modern conveniences we have these days, and times were tough - especially in Winter - at least people still had plenty of respect for the land, killed for food rather than sport, and made use of everything from their kills. None of this wasting and taking the planet for granted you see a lot of these days.  Being vegan would have been tricky, but still.
      
Alternatively, if you want to go with a book set in a country I wish I'd been born in, I'm going to go with "Amanda In Alberta" (part of the "Amanda Travels" series) by Darlene foster, which is actually set in the same part of Canada Kelly is from, where Kelly and I got married, almost stayed, almost went back to, and often wonder where I'd be if I had stayed.
      
Or, if you want to go with a fictional world, then "The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe" by C S Lewis, because then I'd get to live in Narnia with all those talking animals, which is the only thing that would be cooler than getting to go to Hogwarts.  Though if you could move Hogwarts to Narnia, that would be so totally awesome!
      
Then again, if I go with a different planet instead, and pick "Win" (the third book from Vera Nazarian's "Atlantis Grail" series, and the first of the series to be set on Atlantis) there's Aeson Kassiope... Need I say more? *wink*

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Well, first of all, happy belated birthday. I'm sorry I missed the day. And I love your answers -- this is another fun one!

Rita said...

Happy birthday, Tori! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
No worries. You're not late to the party... I'm still getting birthday messages via Facebook now, and we're in to Sunday, so... Yeah. Anyway, thank you. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thank you. :)

Cat Strawberry said...

Happy Birthday for Friday! sorry I didn't get around to your blog until now. I sort of go offline for most of the day during my birthday, always have and I view your site better at my laptop than my phone as it's easier to write up replies. :) Wow, I'm imagining being in Narnia, that would be so cool! This is a great tag, I think I'll have to save it and do next time :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Cat:
No worries. Glad you enjoyed the tag. Hope you had a great birthday. :)