Friday, April 03, 2009

Furkid Friday: Big bed vs doggy bed

Kero's had a quiet week. Just his usual naps, walks, etc.

He's been sleeping in his own bed more this past week though. This is because our new bed is higher than the old one, and is a bit higher than he can easily jump. He can jump up on it if he really tries, but he prefers to either sleep in his doggy bed, or have help to get up.

He's figured out that, if he sits beside it whimpering and tapping the side of the bed with his paw for long enough, one of us will get fed up and lift him up on to the bed. That is, if we don't decide we've done that enough for one night, in which case we ignore him. When we do that, he gives up eventually and either jumps up himself or just flops down on his doggy bed with a sigh.

I did consider investing in some of those steps you can get to help old dogs get up big steps when they're no longer able to. But when I realised he can get up if he really wants to I changed my mind. Besides, it wont hurt him to spend the night in his doggy bed. That is, after all, why we have a doggy bed in the bedroom.

I always lift him on the bed when he has his bed time treats when we go to bed. I do the same when we go back to bed if I have to take him for a pee in the night. So he has plenty of oppertunities to sleep on the bed. It's not my fault he keeps jumping down in the night, is it?

Tori

9 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Husband wants one of those step things so the dog can get on the bed. I'm adamant against ~his~ dog being on the bed because she's plain ol' mean. Then again she's a Chi and they're usually a one human sort of critter. However, when it gets to the point where she'll go after me in my own bed, I gotta draw the line.

AliceKay said...

Doggy beds are made to be slept in, so that's an excellent place for Kero to sleep. You don't have him a little spoiled, do you? LOL

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
I'm with you there. I'm all for furbabies being allowed to sleep on beds, but the humans should get priority. And I'd draw the line at her attacking you in your own bed if I was in your place too.

AK:
Yep. LOL!

Before we got him I said that under no circumstances was he sleeping in the bed. The first few nights I tried everything to keep him in his own bed, but he just kept jumping back on our bed faster than I could even get back in it myself (we had a low bed at the time). After a few nights of this I was tired, and Kelly said to just let him sleep with us. I told him if we did that he'd be with us every night. He said he didn't mind that. So Kero slept in our bed (as did every other dog and every cat we had). He gets his bed time treat in order to keep him occupied while we get comfy. The deal is that he can sleep in the bed as long as we can too. If he's hogging too much of it then I will move him. If he doesn't like it then that's just tough.

I have to admit though... I am enjoying him spending more time in his own bed. ;)

Intense Guy said...

Always something nice about laying on your parents bed - I remember it being a treat - or being put there when I got sick and Mom wanted me away from my brothers.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Did you ever fake being sick - or try to - to get some time on your parents' bed?

Just curious

Punkn said...

I'm not much on sharing my bed with any four legged animals. He'll soon learn if he jumps down, he stays down. Stick to your guns! LOL what a spoiled, lucky, dog.

Intense Guy said...

No Tori, at least not that I remember.

How are you doing?

MarmiteToasty said...

I need one of those steps to get onto my bed now that Im old....

Kero is wellabit spoilt and I love it lol

x

Tori_z said...

Punkn:
Smart move on not wanting to share with the furkids. I wish I'd stuck to that. But the cat got to sleep with us because Kero was. Then the others got to because it wasn't fair to let the older two sleep with us and not the younger ones... You get the idea, I'm sure.

Iggy:
Just wondered. LOL!

Toasty:
You're not old yet. Just short maybe? ;)

And, yep... Kero is VERY spoiled. ;)