Saturday, April 17, 2010

Babbling 'bout blood (PTMI)

My gynaecologist appointment was Thursday afternoon. It was meant to have been at 3:45 pm, but it was actually about 5:15 pm when we were seen. They did say there would be a bit of a delay when we got there, but seriously, that's more than a "bit" isn't it? 20 to 30 minutes... Yeah, I'll accept that as a "bit" of a delay. But any more than that is ridiculous!

Anyway, this is the cue for anyone not interested in... Erm... Female issues, to stop reading, and to go read other blogs. Oh, but if you do that... Please come back tomorrow! Please?

Right, well, as most of you know from recent posts, my female problems are suspected to be the cause for my anemia. The reason this is suspected is because I have such a bad time. I'm one of those people who considers herself lucky to get more than a week in the month without bleeding. This is, as you can imagine, tiring on the body. Not to mention the fact that it makes my goal of becoming a mother rather difficult. So, I went to see the gynaecologist to try and sort that out.

There are a couple of ways that it can be done. Tablets, the pill in some form, a coil, or removal of those parts causing the problem. Well, that last one isn't an option at all. If I had a child, sure! I mean, if I had a child they'd be welcome to it. But since I'm only 25, and since I haven't had any luck on the baby front, then there's no way I'm going to go for that option. Which leaves us with just the first three ways to try and sort it.

The pill in some form, and the coil, would both delay the baby thing. Only for a while, since they don't advise either be used for more than a year or so for what I would use it for. But, they would still delay it. Needless to say, I'm not enthusiastic about those ideas. Although, they would be more preferable than the surgical option, since at least they wouldn't stamp out the possibility of motherhood. And it is possible to conceive while using the coil, and while on the pill. It's just less likely to happen. And, I suppose I am only 25, so waiting for a couple more years wouldn't be the end of the world.

We're going with the tablets option for now though, because they shouldn't affect my chances of conception. I'm also going for a scan to make sure it is just a general things are just a bit messed up (meaning hormones) rather than something else being wrong.

I swear I'm destined to spend my life in hospital! I get rid of one doctor, and I'm seeing another! :(

Tori

8 comments:

Deanna said...

Gynecologists are notorious for having long wait times. Usually it is because they are delivering a baby - something they have no control over. But that definitely seems like a terribly long wait! Anyway...

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. It does seem unfair that you get back on the healthy life track and something else turns up. It sounds like you made the wise choice. Hopefully, during the year you are on the pill, your body will adjust and get back on track.

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering.

Deanna

Rainey said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your medical maladies! However, I am a first time visitor via Pessimistically Optimistic Meanderings and love your style!

P.S. Also adore the acronyms on the side bar of your blog. I love you already for being a time saver, and for writing posts on the topic of food so often that you need not one but TWO ratings for them!

AliceKay said...

I'm also sorry to hear you're going thru all of this. I hope the pills help to control the bleeding. I can see why you would have anemia problems.

I have one little thing to add....my Karen was 30 years old when Ryan was born. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

I just want the best for you - and that means happiness, health, and your dreams of a child realized.

*hugs*

If you have to wait a little - I'm sure the wait will be more than worth it - although I do understand your frustration with being constantly prodded by the medical profession and going to hospitals... that certainly grows old in a hurry.

Celticspirit said...

I have the same problem you do! It's no fun getting that time of the month for 2 weeks. Mine is due to peri-menopause however and I'll tell you.....I can't wait till I do have menopause and get it all over with. Hot flashes will be much better than what I go through.I've had to miss work and even go to the Emergency room on one occasion. I hope you get your problems all straightened out. I just wanted you to know that you're not alone in this situation.

Toriz said...

Deanna:
The tablets I'm taking for now shouldn't affect my chances of concieving. However, if they don't do their job, then the alternatives will affect it. I'm hoping to avoid those though.

Toriz said...

Rainey:
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment. I will come and take a look at your blog! :)

AK:
Thanks. I know there's nothing wrong with not having children until the age of 30, but I really would like to have one sooner than that!

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Thanks! You're right, it will be worth the wait, but I still wish I didn't have to wait.

Barb:
Not nice! Hopefully it will be over for you soon though!