Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rest In Peace

There was something else I planned to post today, but this post is more important, so the other post can wait until tomorrow. Besides, because of a certain funeral happening today, it seems a sort of appropriate day to be posting this, if you know what I mean.

A few weeks ago the Grandad of a long time family friend passed away. I wasn't able to attend the funeral, but my sympathies were with Laura and her family that day. As they still are now, as she and her family grieve for him.

Within a week of his funeral, our dear friend Iggy lost his Step-Grandmother. Again, my sympathies are with him and his family. Today especially, but also in the days, weeks, and months to come.

And then, yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, a family friend also lost his brief battle with cancer. His name was Andy, and our sympathies are with his wife, Linda, and the rest of the family at this sad time.

Rest in peace all of those who have recently passed on.

And to those left behind... Please know that you are in my thoughts, and that my deepest sympathies and condolences are with you and your family at this sad time in your lives.

I don't know what comes next. Perhaps, as some believe, loved ones await us in Heaven, or some other similar paradise. Perhaps, as others believe, they do not. I know not which is true. I do, however, know one thing, and that is that those who we have loved and lost are never truely gone. Not as long as they live on in our memories and our hearts.

Hold on to those fond memories, and when you remember those who have passed on, remember them with joy, not with sadness, for that - I'm sure - is what they would want. It was my Grandad Sid's last request, anyway. He left a poem he had written, which was read at his funeral, and it told those he had left behind to remember him, but not to be sad for him. He believed he was going to be with his beloved Norma, and I believe he was right. Whether it was in paradise, or in another life, or whatever, I have no idea. But that doesn't matter. The point is, that he told us in his own words to try to remember the happy times more than the sad times. And so, that is my message to you today. Grieve for those you have loved and lost, but don't dwell on the sad memories when there are so many happy memories to think of instead.

Tori

6 comments:

Celticspirit said...

Hey Tori, what is your email? I want to ask you a question.

Intense Guy said...

*hugs*

Thank you for these touching words - and your thoughtfulness.

I was a long day, some grieving, but more celebrating of life. I remembered something that happened a while (maybe 15 years) ago... and how much I enjoyed making my step-grandmother laugh - I know I exasperated her with non-stop teasing and leg pulling... but she had a laugh that just "made me do it".

Hugs - and thanks again.

AliceKay said...

My condolences to you, your family, and your friend's family. Times like these are tough, but I'm one of those who believe we will all meet in heaven one day.

*big hugs to Iggy*

Very nice post, Tori. Hugs to you, too.

Deanna said...

Thank you for this post. Tori. It definitely made me stop and think about life and loss of it. My heart goes out to everyone who has lost someone they care about.

Deanna

Toriz said...

Barb:
I sent you an e-mail, and - in case you didn't get it - posted my e-mail in the comments of your most recent post.


Iggy:
There's no need for thanks.

I'm glad you remembered something nice like that! :)

Toriz said...

AK & Deanna:
I'm glad you liked the post.