Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Meat-Free and sweet recipes I've tried (LBE and FD)

Celticspirit asked about the recipes from my blog I have ttried. I immediately said I hadn't tried any of the newer ones, but I then realised that I had tried aversion of the bagel pizza (though not the actual recipe). I think I just had cheese on mine though.

I have also tried the following sandwich options:

Jam
Peanut butter
Cheese with onion
Cheese with tomato
Cheese with salad
Cheese with ketchup
Egg with mayo
Egg with cress
Egg with ketchup
Egg with salad
Cream cheese with onion
Cream cheese with tomato
Cream cheese with ketchup
Peanut butter and jam
Peanut butter and raisin
Lemon curd

I often have cauliflower cheese, which is basically the Cauliflower And Broccoli Cheese only without the broccoli.

My Mam makes Bread And Butter Pudding, and my Nan makes a version without buttering the bread. Out of the two I prefer the bread and butter version rather than just the bread pudding, because the bread pudding is a bit dry. But I'm not a huge fan of either, really.

I tried the Cheesy Rice And Eggs recipe soon after finding it. It's not bad, but a bit dry. I think it's better if you add some kind of proper sauce, or some beans. Sweet And Sour Spuds And Sprouts are really nice just as they are though.

I did try Cucumber Boats. too, but I wasn't too keen on it. Too much cucumber for my liking. But, if you love loads of cucumber, it's great!

Plus, I tried a sort of cheating version of Smurf Ice-Cream, which involved adding blue food colouring to mint choc chip ice-cream.

The Veggie Cassarole is something I have quite often in some shape or form. It's a good "grab what veggies you have, and chuck them together" type recipe.

I've used the White Sauce recipe too. My Mam and Nan use it all the time.

Mam and I made the Ginger Carrot Cake (or, a version of it, anyway) and the Carrot Cake too. Both are really nice! I think I like the ordinary one best though, even though I do enjoy ginger cake.

The French Onion Soup is quite nice. As were the Tortilla Pizzas both with and without the "topping of your choice" option. And Eggs In Overcoats are nice too.

Chocolate Nests I've had several times growing up. They're nice!

I've tried the Pumpkin Pie and Halloween Biscuits, which were baked during the same Halloween cooking session. And enjoyed both. Everyone else seemed to too.

I've made the Peppermint Patties, because we used to make them at school to bring home for our parents around Christmas in boxes we'd decorated ourselves. They're nice, but SO SWEET! They're great plain, and great dipped in chocolate.

I highly recommend my Mam's Mince Pies, which I have every year at Christmas time.

I also tried the Corn Cobs With Soft Cheese And Chives, and they were very tasty. I recommend these too!

I've eaten the Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie on several occasions. It's another that's really nice, and really easy to adapt to personal preferences. And I've had the Glazed Carrots with Rosemary Potatoes a few times too, and they are also nice.

I've eaten Welsh Cakes on several occasions too. They're fantastic as they are (with, and without butter) and also nice with blueberries in instead of raisins.

And I once tried Devilled Eggs, but I wasn't all that keen on them. I think I put too much pepper and paprika though.


I made the Honey Cake one day "just because" and enjoyed it. I once made some Apple Butter too. That was nice too, but I got bored of it after a bit... I think I made too much! Actually, I did a blog post about them at the time they were made.

One Christmas, I made - and enjoyed - the Alternative Wassail and Mam enjoyed it too.

I used to have the Traditional Waffles regularly for breakfast. I don't so much now, but that's partly because I'm trying to eat healthier, and partly because I gave Mam the waffle maker, so need to buy a new one.

The Beany Melt was nice.

I made Pumpkin Spice Muffins this past Halloween, and they were really nice.

My Mam often makes Fruit Scones and Cheese Scones. And I enjoy both. Especially the fruit scones! She also makes plain scones, which you can probably guess is the fruit ones without the fruit added.

I tried the Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, and they were "OK" but just OK... Not great. And I tried the Berry Cobbler, which was VERY nice!

I think most people have tried the Yule Log Cake in some shape or form. Especially those who love chocolate. It's really nice, but I don't eat much chocolate cake, so Kelly enjoys this more than I do.

The Eggy Bread And Eggy Mushrooms was one I made up myself. And, it's very nice... If I do say so myself! As is the Cheesy-Chip Toast, which came from my Grandma, and after trying it - and deciding it was nice - I put it on my blog.

Mam and I tried the Apple And Banana Fritters and we tried the Cheesy-Beans And Herby-Mushrooms On Toast the same day. They were both really nice. So are Cheese Fries.

The Lemon Roll-Up and Egg Roll-Up were favourite lunches of mine for a while. The lemon one in particular I really like.

When I was younger, we often made Sherbert Punch, and it's nice. Especially if you have a sweet tooth.

I think everyone's tried Pancakes at some point too. But, in case you haven't, here's the recipe. :)

The recipe for Cookies is the one I used while in Girl Guides, which I enjoyed both making and eating, so since I still had the recipe, I posted it on my recipe blog. And I absolutely love what my Mam calls Proper Porridge.

The Non-Alcaholic Egg-Nog is really nice. So is the Baked Apple. And Filled Skins make great bases for dinners.

We often have Cheese Straws at buffets, and anyone who likes cheese loves them.

I often make versions of Trail Mix, which you can have fun doing, since the options for ingredients are infinate! Well, OK, not quite, but there are plenty of options for what you can put in your trail mix.

And, yesterday, I made some Brownies, which I think are quite nice, and Kelly definately seems to be enjoying. I gave some to Eleri and Faye too, and they absolutely loved them, apparently. :)

Oh, and I made an apple version of the Berry Cobbler too. Just a small one, and I didn't serve it with anything. I did, however, enjoy it though.

I haven't included the meat and fish recipes, so if anyone wants to know which of those I have either tried when I was eating meat, or been around when a family member has tried, then feel free to ask. But for now I was only asked about the meat-free ones, and think this post is probably long enough without the meat and fish ones. Like I said though, if you want them, ask, and I'll do them in another post some time soon.

10 comments:

AliceKay said...

So many foods mentioned and I haven't eaten any breakfast yet. *hears stomach growl* Those are a lot of choices to check out. :)

I think I'll go eat some cereal before I wash and dry my hair and get ready for work. I hope you're having a good day today. *hugs*

Toriz said...

AK:
Well, at least I know those of you who check my blog first thing in the morning with you will be having breakfast today. ;)

Dorkys Ramos said...

Good gravy, woman. I think you've made more dishes than I ever will in my lifetime! Very impressed here and I wish I had the desire to whip up such goodies in the kitchen.

And I'm with AliceKay, now I'm starving and so ready to devour this bowl of oatmeal :)

Deanna said...

Ok girl. Now you've done it. You've made me hungry. So many recipes!

Toriz said...

Dorkys:
LOL! And these are just the ones that don't include meat or fish. There's a whole bunch of ones that do include meat and fish too.

Oatmeal is always good! :)

Deanna:
Well, I hope you enjoyed your breakfast. :)

Rita said...

OMGoodness! You are inspiring me to try my hand at new recipes and new foods. :)

I turned off the word verification on my blog. I honestly didn't know it was on. Unless I get a ton of spam--I'll leave it off. Thanks for letting me know and I hope you stop back sometime. :)

Celticspirit said...

Thanks for the write up Tori. What is swede? I saw it mentioned in one of the recipes. I know it's not a Swedish person....or at least I hope not. ;)I'm not a meat eater. haha

Toriz said...

Rita:
Thanks for stopping by again, and for turning off the word verification. :)

Barb:
LOL! No, it's not a swedish person. ;)

It's a vegetable. Kelly did tell me what it was called over there, but I can't remember right now, and he's not about. It's from the turnip family though, if I'm not mistaken.

Intense Guy said...

I like pumpkin and berries so if I could be a vegetarian, I'd be eating lots of pumpkin pie, and pumpkin spice muffins, and blue berry pie... and raspberry tarts and blackberry pies... and Berry Cobbler.. and Apple And Banana Fritters...

Oh, and apple pie... have I said pie yet? :)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yeah, I think you might have mentioned pie. ;)

Those are some of my favourite things. :)