Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Our day at Pembrey Country Park's beach (LBE and FD)

On Saturday, Mam, Kelly, Kero and I went to the beach that is at Pembrey Country Park, which isn't all that far from us. Here's a bit about it for anyone interested:

"People visit Pembrey Country Park for many different reasons, some to enjoy the freedom to wander around 202 hectares of glorious parkland and some to take advantage of one of the cleanest beaches in Wales.

Set against the spectacular backdrop of the Gower Peninsula and overlooking the coastal scenery of Carmarthen Bay, the Park had been transformed into one of Wales’s top visitor attractions providing a unique blend of coast and countryside."

We went there, because although there is usually a dog ban on beaches from May 1st until about October 1st, there is "approximately 6 miles of beach" that is available for dog walking all year round.

We might have done more than just go to the beach, but it was so hot we didn't feel like it. Besides, this time of year some of the parts of the park don't allow dogs, and we had Kero with us. Mam and I are thinking of going back for a walk around the park some time in the not too distant future though. I haven't been there for more than the beach for a good few years, so I'd like to do that.

Anyway...

I said on Monday that I would tell you about the trip, and post photos from it. So, here they are:

When we got there, Mam ran straight down to the sea, closely followed by me and Kero...



Kero stopped once his paws got wet though...



And examined the water... Even having a bit of a taste...



Unfortunately, he then decided he didn't like it one bit. So, I handed him over to Kelly, and went in the water...



And had a good splash about...



Mam gave Kelly the camera for safe keeping, then she joined me in the water, and we splashed each other, swam about a bit, jumped over waves, and fell over when failing to jump over waves. Basically, we got well and truely soaked. And with the temperature being so high (well, high to us), the coolness of the water was very much welcomed. Then we went to join Kelly and Kero up the beach a bit, and Mam sunbathed, while I played in the sand.

Here's Kero sitting on the beach...



The sun and sand were making him squint a bit, but he seemed to be enjoying himself...



So did Kelly...



After Mam sunbathed for a bit, she took Kero for a bit of a walk up on the sand dunes...



She needed a rest by the time she got up there though...





Then - once she had rested from the walk, and cooled down a bit - she sent Kero back down to me so we could get a photo of her up there on her own. And here it is:



Then she stayed with Kero while Kelly and I went for a walk on the sand dunes on our own...



By this time Mam and I were totally dry, but very hot. So, we went back down to play in the sea some more. We took Kero with us and tried to persuade him that it was fun. He was having none of it. I carried him to about where it would be up to his stomach, then I put him down in the water. Or, tried to. I got his back legs down, but before I could do more than that he quite literally climbed up me. Scratching my leg, and the side of my face as he did so. I decided after that I wouldn't do that again. So, I carried Kero back to the shore, handed him back to Kelly, then went to play in the water with Mam.

When we were once more soaked to the skin, and a lot cooler, we went back up the beach to be with Kelly and Kero. We ate a bit of food, though not much in my case, because I was reluctant to touch much food with the sand around, since sand flavoured sandwiches really aren't my thing. I did eat a cake bar thing though. OK, two of them, but they were only small, and playing in the sea makes you hungry. Well, it makes me hungry anyway. LOL!

So... After food Mam sunbathed some more, and I decided to make a sand castle. I hadn't yet had any success using the square bucket I have, so I decided I was going to keep trying at it until I managed it. I dug a big hole to get at some wetter sand, filled my bucket up as full as I could, and... After the third attempt... Managed to make this:



It's a good thing I managed to get a photo when I did though, because a few seconds after the shot was taken, someone sat on it. Hmm... I wonder who that could have been? Maybe this next photo will give you a clue?



Yep, it was Kero.

I couldn't be mad at him though... He was only sitting on sand... He wasn't to know I didn't want the sand castle squashed yet. Besides, I was going to flatten it myself after the photo was taken anyway. After all, half the fun of building sand castles is knocking them down. LOL!

Soon after that we left the beach in search of ice-cream. We found a grassy area near to somewhere that sold ice-cream, and settled down there to eat our ice-creams. Well, actually, first I ate my sandwiches while Mam and Kelly went to get the ice-creams, and Kero sat beside me watching people go by, and glorying in all the compliments aimed at him.

Then - after our ice-creams - we went home, and I had to bath Kero to get the sand and salt out of his fur. I figured it would be for the best... In case it irritated his skin or something. He was NOT impressed with me for wanting to bath him, and he howled and barked like mad as soon as he realised what I was going to do. But I got it done, and then - after washing the bath out - had a bath myself.

It was a good day! :)

And, you know what made it even better? I slept well on Saturday night! I slept from around 11:00 pm until about 7:00 am Sunday morning. OK, not solidly, but who cares! Sleeping on and off for 8 hours is a great thing to me... Most times I don't even get that much sleep in a week!

10 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Great pictures!

And yes, the sea air and frolicking in the salty water really work up the appetite and then make you sleepy!

I bet ol' castle squishing-butt Kero slept well too, especially after the bathing ordeal.

Hope you, Kelly, and your Mam didn't get too sunburned - it looks like it was a really hot day - the grassy dunes look a bit broiling.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yeah, he slept really well.

Kelly didn't get burned, because we made sure he had plenty of factor 50 suncream on. I usually put some on me, but was so busy making sure Kero wasn't too hot, and having fun that I forgot. I've been suffering for my mistake, since I got quite sunburned. Even my Mam - who doesn't usually get sunburned - got a bit red on her shoulders.

Thanks again for sorting the photos for me! :)

Hugs!

MarmiteToasty said...

oh it sounds like a wonderful time was had by all..... I cant imagine not living by the seaside....

and what a great beach..... thought you might be at the Radio One Festival in Bangor?

x

Deanna said...

Tori, that looks like so much fun! All of you look like you are having a blast. Especially Kero. Thanks for a wonderful share. I loved the pictures.

Deanna

Toriz said...

Toasty:
Nah, we wanted a sort of quiet day, and those types of events tend to be noisy.


Deanna:
I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. :)

Toriz said...

Oh, and Toasty... Where we live we can get to several different beaches quite quickly. But we went to this one because of the dog beach for Kero.

Rita said...

Wow! What a great time! Glad you slept well. I don't know how you manage with so little sleep. Hope your sunburns aren't bothering you and your mom. :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
You kind of get used to it after a while... The lack of sleep thing, I mean.

Mam's sunbuurn isn't bothering her at all, and mine is a lot better. It's not bothered me really today, but up until yesterday it was quite uncomfortable, and a little painful.

AliceKay said...

Looks like everyone had a lot of fun. I'm a little surprised that Kero doesn't like running around in the water. Most dogs love it.

I'm glad you had a nice day, and I'm glad you were able to get a pretty good night's sleep. I hope that sunburn has gone completely away by now.

Toriz said...

AK:
Kero HATES water of all kinds (unless it's in a bowl or bucket for him to drink). He dislikes rivers, pools... You get the idea. Now Willow... She sees water and is right in there. My boy isn't a water doggy though. He didn't used to mind it at first, but something happened to change that at some point when he was still a puppy. Mind you, he was never a huge water fan anyway.

Yeah, the sunburn is basically gone now. I'm told it's turned in to a slight tan. I expect that will go away soon too though... I never manage to tan and keep it.