Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Dark Crystal

One thousand years before the beginning of the movie, during the Great Conjunction of the three suns, the urSkeks cracked the Crystal of Truth, and split into two races; the hunchbacked, gentle beings known as the Mystics and the vulture-like tyrants known as Skeksis. In that moment the Crystal became the Dark Crystal. The Skeksis then drove the Mystics from the castle where the cracked crystal resided and instituted a reign of terror over their world. Their wrath was particularly directed toward the elf-like Gelflings, due to a prophecy that promised the restoration of the crystal and the end of the Skeksis' power. The prophecy, rediscovered in an ancient Gelfling city, read:

“ When single shines the triple sun,
What was sundered and undone
Shall be whole, the two made one,
By Gelfling hand, or else by none. ”

(Above taken from this page... WARNING: link contains spoilers).

I've seen this movie a few times, but it was on TV recently, so I watched it again. After all, it's one of those movies that I just can't help watching several times. It really is a fantastic movie! Seriously, if you haven't seen it then you need to!

5 comments:

AliceKay said...

I can't remember if I've seen it or not, but it sounds kinda familiar.

I hope you have a great Saturday.

Rita said...

I think I saw this when Dagan was young. The muppet folks were involved, right? I kind of remember I thought it was good. I think I'll check Netflix....;)

Wendyburd1 said...

The skesis terrified me as a child!!!

Intense Guy said...

I remember when this came out - Jimmy Henson of the muppets did all the characters... and parents were screaming about how horrid they were. I guess they expected Kermit and Miss Piggy.

I can see YOU enjoying this one though... in fact I might even enjoy it. :)

Toriz said...

AK:
You should watch it!

Rita:
Yeah, that's right.

Wendy:
That's not surprising.

Iggy:
Yeah, I think you would.