Sunday, November 07, 2010

Leaf monsters are all in my head... Right?

It was one of those beautiful days you get in Autumn. The kind of day where it's cold enough to need jackets and such, with a bit of a breeze, but still beautiful and sunny. There was hardly a cloud in the sky. It was a perfect day for a walk... OK, Kero and I walk almost every day - unless it's snowy, because it makes it impossible - but you know what I mean. It was the kind of day when even those people who tend to make excuses not to walk would at least be out for a short walk at some point during the day...



And so, Kero and I set out for our walk, taking the camera in hopes of getting some photos of the Autumn colours to post on my blog. I wasn't sure how far along the colours were, but I figured there had to be some about. So, camera in one hand, my cane in the other, and Kero's lead tied around my wrist (I tie his lead in a slip knot around my wrist, then hold his lead tightly with my cane too... That way the worst that would happen if he tried to run off is he'd break my wrist - not a good thing, but better than him running off and getting hurt or something). Using the camera with one hand is tricky, but doable. And I was determined to get at least one decent photo that day...



As we were passing some trees, the leaves began to stir...



Suddenly, the world was a scary place again, with trees towering over me...



And leaf monsters creeping across the grass towards me...




Kero stopped his sniffing and decided he needed to investigate this new turn of events...





But, as the leaf monsters closed in on us...



Crowding around us...




His courage failed, and he tried to head for home...



I picked up my pace a little too...



But then I started thinking straight, and realized that being afraid of something like leaves blowing in the wind is silly. Especially when you know it's just leaves blowing in the wind. And, eventually, I was soon able to convince both myself and Kero that we should continue with our walk... With or without leaf monsters! And we did continue with our walk... You can see that if you read tomorrow's post. Admittedly I spent the entire walk constantly trying to convince myself that, "leaf monsters aren't real!" But, the point is, I didn't run home to hide from the leaf monsters... Even though I have photographic evidence that the leaves were alive, and they were chasing us!

9 comments:

Intense Guy said...

:)

I love how you made a wonderful story out of these photos.

Kero was trying to keep ya safe... or maybe just wanted to head home and play with his toys and get a treat... or was skeered of the leaf monster because he can't say, "There are no such thing as leaf monsters" over and over again.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Or, maybe... All of the above? Maybe he was scared, wanted to get home where we would both be safe, and figured a treat and a bit of play time would be better than being attacked by leaf monsters?

AliceKay said...

I'm sure you're right, Tori. Kero was thinking all of the above.

Leaf monsters won't hurt you if you don't let them, and from what I read toward the end of your post, you didn't let them. Bravo!

Rita said...

Glad you didn't let the leaf monsters win! :):)

Kero probably picks up on when you get scared. Lots of animals have a kind of ESP or emotional reading and are tuned in to us. Babies/Children have that, too. We probably all do, but we just learn to ignore it.

It looked like a gorgeous day!! :):)

Deanna said...

Those leaves definitely look alive. I am glad you were able to convince Kero and yourself that they were harmless. I'm going to check out the next post now.

Toriz said...

Thanks all! :)

Rita:
Yes, that's true. I think a lot of "gifts" that babies and children have fade away as they grow because they're taught to ignore them. They're taught it's not real, so that's what they believe to be the case. Animals keep the abilities, because animals aren't taught that it's not real.

Aunt of 14 said...

Is that a Westie?!

Aunt of 14 said...

In response to your response above about childrens losing their "gifts" I think you are so right on. I think this is where Imaginary Friends came from. They're real to the children but the parents cannot see them so they wipe it off as imaginary. Over time kids will learn to think like their parents and their imaginary friends disappear. Sad isn't is?

Toriz said...

Aunt of 14:
Yes, Kero is a Westie. A very spoiled little Westie. ;)

I agree about the imaginary friends thing. I also agree that it's very sad that it happens.