Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Man Who Saved Christmas

"A.C. Gilbert figures out a way to keep Christmas alive after the war threatens to take it away in his name."

"True story based on the life of toy inventor A.C. Gilbert, who created the now-famous Erector Set. During World War I, Gilbert was persuaded to have his factory staff produce weapons and ammo for American troops fighting overseas instead of toys. The decision caused him to forget about the true meaning of the holidays and neglect his wife and son. With their persuasion, however, and his older brother missing in action in Europe, Gilbert and his staff decided to start marketing toys again and took their decision all the way to the Supreme Court."

(Above taken from this page).

I thought this was a really good movie, which - until I realised it was based on a true story - I thought may have been inspired by Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" since it does have a few similarities in how the plot unfolds. Well, I think it does, anyway.

4 comments:

AliceKay said...

I'm pretty sure I've seen this movie, but I don't remember much about it.

Rita said...

I saw this movie when it was on TV. It was pretty good. I liked it because it was actually based on a true story, too. Serious role for Jason Alexander. He did well. :)

Intense Guy said...

If only a LOT more companies and people did this sort of thing - the world would be a lot better off... I mean... toys on one hand... bombs on the other... is it really a contest?????

Toriz said...

AK:
Maybe watch it again if you get a chance?

Rita:
Yes, the fact it's based on a true story makes it even better.

Iggy:
Yes, more toys, less bombs... Maybe then we can have more people using their imaginations for fun, and less people destroying parts of the world? Wouldn't that be nice?