Wednesday, December 01, 2010

December is here already (FD)

Normally I put my tree up on December 1st, but this year I'm not going to be doing that. I'm putting it up tomorrow instead. I need to clear the spot where it needs to go - well, the spot I want it to go in - and then put the tree up, and I don't feel like doing it today.

I had a Christmas tree chocolate in my advent calender today. I swear all of them start with Christmas trees. I have a Thomas The Tank Engine calender this year, because I decided I wanted one. I don't think I've had a Thomas one before, and I decided this year a train one would be a good idea. Besides, it was Thomas or Barbie, because I didn't want the same one as either Kelly, Mam or Wayne had (Ben Ten, Hello Kitty and Simpsons). I don't suppose it really matters what's on them... It's still basically the same thing inside them... But I like to have one with a nice theme/picture, and am in the habbit of avoiding having the same as others from when we were younger and they had to bbe different to avoid arguments if someone had eaten their chocolate that day but someone else hadn't. Anyway, Kelly helped me to sort out the braille numbers for the little doors on my calender so I can find them myself. I made the little labels, and handed them to Kelly in order, and he stuck them on. That way I can do it myself, but until I look for a number have no idea of its location on the calender. Sure, I could just have him find the number each day, but I did that the first year my sight went, and I found it took a lot of the fun out of it. The fun of advent calenders is remembering the date, finding the right little door, then opening it up to see what shape of chocolate is behind the little door today. Sure, the chocolate itself is great, but without the search for the right door, and the anticipation of what's behind it while you slide your fingernail in the gap around the door to get it open... Well, it loses some of its excitement without that part. So, for the past couple of years I've made little labels with numbers on using the braille labeler I have, and someone - Mam or Kelly - has stuck them on the right little doors for me.

I have only got a few more bits and pieces of Christmas shopping to sort out, but other than that I'm done. None of it's wrapped yet though. Mostly all I need to get now are Kero's presents, Gwydion's presents, Willow's presents, and a little something for Loppy and Mouse (Carl and Rachel's rabbits). There are a couple of other items too, but the furbabies are the main ones still needing to have their presents brought this year.

I'm going to let this do for today... Sorry it's not very exciting. My excuse is that I'm tired. Going to try for a nap, then I can come and do the rounds on the blogs I read, and check for new comments on my own posts. If I don't get to that today, then it means I didn't have much luck with the nap, and was too tired to feel like checking blogs.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day, stay warm, and stay safe! :)

8 comments:

Deanna said...

I hope you were very successful with that nap. Being tired all the time is no fun!

The Advent Calendar is a great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. Putting the braile numbers on it is a great idea. I can see where it would be much more fun checking the little box each day by yourself rather than have someone else do it.

You take care. Hugs

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Thanks. :)

I got some sleep... Not uninterrupted sleep, but some sleep at least.

Rita said...

I've never had or seen an advent calendar, but anything with chocolate for each day sound delightful! ;)

So smart of you to number the doors in braille. Earning your chocolate takes all the calories out of it, you know. :)

I only have a little tabletop tree and haven't decided if I want to brave the ice in the parking lot this year to locate it in my garage. I passed on it last year. Karma doesn't care, of course, and nothing dampens my holiday spirits--decoration or not. :):)

Rainey said...

Ooooh advent calendar! I haven't had one of those in ages. Well, scratch that...I haven't had a good one in ages. I bought a $1 one last year and the chocolate tasted like plastic. I think it's time to invest in a good one. Thanks for inspiring me, and good luck with your tree tomorrow!

AliceKay said...

The braille numbers on the Advent calendar is a great idea. I can understand why you would want to open the little doors for yourself. :)

I have some Christmas shopping done. Did a little more on the internet the other day, so I'm just waiting for delivery. No Christmas cards written out so I should get to that soon. The Christmas tree doesn't go up here until after Karen's birthday (after December 16th). Been that way since she was born.

I'm glad you were able to get some sleep. *hugs*

Toriz said...

Rita:
You should get yourself an advent calender... It's great fun having a chocolate each day to count down to Christmas.

If you do get your tree out, be careful going out to fetch it!

Rainey:
That means the chocolate was off. I had one of those a couple of years ago. Usually happens if it's been kept in too warm of a room, or if you're unlucky enough to end up with last year's leftovers or something. It's only happened once to me, and I've had an advent calender every year since I was old enough to be eating chocolate.

AK:
We've always put the decorations up on December 1st, or as soon as possible after that date. It's to commemorate a birthday mentioned briefly on my Mam's blog yesterday.

Intense Guy said...

I'm so far behind in my reading, I suppose your tree is up already!

...and you've enjoy a bit of chocolate by now too.. :)

Toriz said...

*Nods at Iggy*